Why retooling is the best option for the Habs

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Because Therrien et al. did a terrible job of developing Chucky, and Bergevin made a gross miscalculation in trading Sergachev? Sergachev was seen as being very risky, and Bergevin likely saw the move as trading for more of a sure thing. You don't remember how wobbly Sergachev looked in his call ups last year?

Yeah, yeah... Coaching... Gimme a break man! How come all the other guys developed nicely and he's the only one so clueless defensively? He's just dumb, I don't know what else to say to be honest.

How do teams get it then? Do they possibly draft and develop it maybe? We gave away one of the best D prospects in the league for a winger that we asked to play center. We added Martinsen, Ott and King for our playoff push a few years back and you act like Bergevins hands are tied, are you a relative of his or are you privy to his great "plan" that he can't share with the rest of us because we might not understand it?

Draft and develop is the right answer for sure.

I don't care about Ott and shit, we didn't lose anything in those trades, Julien wanted more beef and Bergevin got him more beef, it ends there.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yeah, yeah... Coaching... Gimme a break man! How come all the other guys developed nicely and he's the only one so clueless defensively? He's just dumb, I don't know what else to say to be honest.

All things said about Seguin, who was kept at centre and properly coached and is now responsible in his own end.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

The only other one you could be possibly referring to is Gallagher. Gallagher spent another two years in junior during his development process, whereas it was straight into the gaping maw of Therrien's derp for Galchenyuk.

The rest of our forward picks have been busts or marginal players. Except for Galchenyuk.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't think we can fault Serge for Drouin trade. Honestly those are the trades we should be looking to make.

Serge a good prospect, but Drouin had potential to be an offensive star. He was highly coveted for a while from TB. He is a former 3rd OVA pick. He had a bad year this year and its up to him to turn it around but thats what the habs should be going for.

Taylor Hall didn't have a great year his first year in Jersey either and a lot of people were laughing at that trade. A year later and its the Oilers that look foolish and the Devils like they stole one.

No guarantee that JD is better next year, but trying to bring offensive players on the team is what the GM should be doing. Same with the Scherbak pick. Offensive guy with boom or bust, much rather that then a meathead like McCarron.

This question should be asked next season. We already tanked this season. It wasn't intentional but it happened. Now we have to wait through draft/UFA/trades to see what kind of team will be iced. Even ARZ or Buffalo is going to try and make the playoffs.

All those who want rebuild then you should hope that MB doesn't sign anyone this summer and stays low key. Also pray Price continues to suck. That should yield the same results we saw this year and lead to MB's exit. That would also mean that the habs tanked for 2 years, and technically we can call it 3 out of 4 years since Serge was a top 10 pick. I would call that a rebuild if you ask me.

Retool fans, than you better hope the team turns it around this upcoming season. Somehow MB lands a solid D and a 1C. If he does the team can make some noise and MB can continue to coast along in his job while Molson jacks up the ticket prices and hot dog prices.

Reactions: 417 and Belial

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Draft and develop is the right answer for sure.

I don't care about Ott and ****, we didn't lose anything in those trades, Julien wanted more beef and Bergevin got him more beef, it ends there.

So after 6 years are you telling me that the organisation is finally going to focus on player development?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
All things said about Seguin, who was kept at centre and properly coached and is now responsible in his own end.

Is Seguin really a 2 way center? I doubt it to be honest.

The only other one you could be possibly referring to is Gallagher. Gallagher spent another two years in junior during his development process, whereas it was straight into the gaping maw of Therrien's derp for Galchenyuk.

The rest of our forward picks have been busts or marginal players. Except for Galchenyuk.

I remember Pacioretty praising Therrien for making him a better 2 way player.

And I mean what's your point? Therrien didn't give him the right X's and O's?

So after 6 years are you telling me that the organisation is finally going to focus on player development?

I don't think it was something else before to be honest.. The problem is that we've been drafting late and getting crap...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Unless my memory fails I'm pretty certain we had posters insisting Drouin was good for 80.

Too bad they were wrong.

I dunno about 80, but lots of claims of being a slam dunk for 60+. I even saw some predictions of 70pts.

Then there was this gem:
9585A05A-B4B0-4C54-81AB-D5A9FF062584.jpeg

Reactions: groovejuice

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I remember Pacioretty praising Therrien for making him a better 2 way player.

And I mean what's your point? Therrien didn't give him the right X's and O's?

I have never seen the Montreal Canadiens more poorly coached than they were under Therrien. To make matters worse, Therrien is possibly the worst communicator among all head coaches. These facts likely made for a very poor development environment for Galchenyuk.

But the original topic wasn't how much Galchenyuk sucks. That's just your favourite topic. The original topic was how the Montreal Canadiens are risk averse. Galchenyuk's handling is actually a perfect example of this. The Drouin trade is another good example of this, but his handling is not a good example of risk aversion. Drouin was straight up terrible all year and they did nothing about it.

IMO, a better way to describe the habs is visionless. They have no coherent idea of what they're doing.

Reactions: sandviper

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I have never seen the Montreal Canadiens more poorly coached than they were under Therrien. To make matters worse, Therrien is possibly the worst communicator among all head coaches. These facts likely made for a very poor development environment for Galchenyuk.

But the original topic wasn't how much Galchenyuk sucks. That's just your favourite topic. The original topic was how the Montreal Canadiens are risk averse. Galchenyuk's handling is actually a perfect example of this. The Drouin trade is another good example of this, but his handling is not a good example of risk aversion. Drouin was straight up terrible all year and they did nothing about it.

IMO, a better way to describe the habs is visionless. They have no coherent idea of what they're doing.

How do explain the results they got under such an incompetent coach?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Is Seguin really a 2 way center? I doubt it to be honest.

I mean you can stick to your convictions or you can read up on his season and maybe ask Dallas Stars fans.

Boston will think we're crazy for saying this, but Tyler Seguin just out-Bergeron'd Bergeron ... in the Garden

"He's become a more competitive player. His compete level at the puck, his attention to detail...he's made huge strides in being a 200-foot player," Hitchcock said after the game. "We always use that term, but when you ask a guy to go from killing no penalties to being a prime-time guy, you ask a guy to block shots, you ask a guy to be out there at the end of games and play against top players...If you haven't done it your whole life, it's a big adjustment, and he's made all of those adjustments in half a season."

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I dunno about 80, but lots of claims of being a slam dunk for 60+. I even saw some predictions of 70pts.

Then there was this gem:
View attachment 116641

I believe that was the guy who kept saying “many sources say if the draft were held today Sergachev would go second” while also proclaiming it to be a brilliant trade for the Habs.

He couldn't provide sources and didn’t like my suggestion that we should logically be able to trade Drouin for Laine + if that was really true.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How do explain the results they got under such an incompetent coach?

Pretty easily: our division was soft as baby-shit, and we had a number of players with career years. How do you explain us being bottom third in basically every category except goaltending from 2013-14 to 2014-15 if our coach was so brilliant?

Reactions: mtl_felix

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pretty easily: our division was soft as baby-****, and we had a number of players with career years. How do you explain us being bottom third in basically every category except goaltending from 2013-14 to 2014-15 if our coach was so brilliant?

As @417 already said and I confirmed it , coaching is freaking overrated!

You can't make gold out of shit as you can't make shit out of gold!

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
A PO spot probably?

I’m going to need more detail.

The discussion was specifically about Seguin. You responded with an unsourced comment about Radulov, which doesn’t seem relevant to the specific topic.

Maybe if you provided and actual source it would help, because you have extremely low credibility. This is a chance to improve it.

You are constantly advocating for quality discussions here, so explain who you are quoting and how it specifically reflects, positively or negatively on your impression of the specific topic at hand.

In view of your mission to see better discussions here, please don’t respond with another nebulous answer.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I’m going to need more detail.

The discussion was specifically about Seguin. You responded with an unsourced comment about Radulov, which doesn’t seem relevant to the specific topic.

Maybe if you provided and actual source it would help, because you have extremely low credibility. This is a chance to improve it.

You are constantly advocating for quality discussions here, so explain who you are quoting and how it specifically reflects, positively or negatively on your impression of the specific topic at hand.

In view of your mission to see better discussions here, please don’t respond with another nebulous answer.

Seguin was quite decent this season, I'm going to give you that.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Seguin was quite decent this season, I'm going to give you that.

That’s another evasive answer.

I’m still not seeing who you were quoting on Radulov, and why it was relevant.

Third time I’m asking for an explanation and a source on the quote.

Reactions: mtl_felix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad