Why retooling is the best option for the Habs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
As @417 already said and I confirmed it , coaching is freaking overrated!

You can't make gold out of **** as you can't make **** out of gold!

33ynn01.gif

''Hold my beer...'' - Michel Therrien

“... and my smokes.”

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
There were a few who had him in the 80's. Also some who referred to him as a Superstar, like the poster you quoted. :laugh:

Most of the hockey world thought he was at least a 60-70 point guy. I think Ray Ferraro said he would score 30 rolling out of bed.

Its no different than the posters who keep saying AG is going to be a PPG center. Being high on a former 3rd OVA pick isn't that much of a reach.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How do explain the results they got under such an incompetent coach?

Not to mention pretty much all the young players (and even the old ones) had great numbers under MT.

So I don't get how an argument can be made that a coach plays such an important role in the players development, but then completly dismiss MT's role in his players having great seasons. Its not like PK/Max/Price/Gally/AG were 10 year vets in the league. They were still young players 21/22/23 when he took over.

I am not saying give MT credit, he didn't make PK into PK or Price into Price. But he didn't prevent them either and you can't on one hand say coaching is so important but then say every player played great in spite of the coach. Its a contradictory argument to me. If the habs group all were great in spite of MT well then the coach doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Reactions: Belial and 417

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
So now Alzner is your worst player? You go to some extremes only to argue.

Carlson is a top offensive defenseman. Alzner is a stay-at-home defenseman. If Alzner returns to form, close to the player he was before his hand injury, you end up with a very strong pairing. In fact, three very good pairs. And you got that by putting Alzner in the best position for him to succeed.

I now realize I am just repeating myself.

Too bad he did not stay at home this season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not to mention pretty much all the young players (and even the old ones) had great numbers under MT.

So I don't get how an argument can be made that a coach plays such an important role in the players development, but then completly dismiss MT's role in his players having great seasons. Its not like PK/Max/Price/Gally/AG were 10 year vets in the league. They were still young players 21/22/23 when he took over.

I am not saying give MT credit, he didn't make PK into PK or Price into Price. But he didn't prevent them either and you can't on one hand say coaching is so important but then say every player played great in spite of the coach. Its a contradictory argument to me. If the habs group all were great in spite of MT well then the coach doesn't really make that much of a difference.
Agreed - yet it's constantly presented this way.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Philly is going to get eliminated, but they made the playoffs on the back of Giroux's 100 points. I was advocating trading for him this summer as I saw it as a better deal than giving Radu his contract.

Where is our hero? I bet if Hudon or Lek played on any other team they would have 80+ pts, but habs luck our players are always busting.

WTF is wrong with you ?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
WTF is wrong with you ?

A hyperbolic statement, but if those guys were on a TB or Pitts they would probably be doing much better than they did this year.

And I liked Hudon and Leks game this year don't get me wrong. But other teams seem to find these gems while the habs get stuck with 30-40 point guys who we lose patience with and trade away.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
A hyperbolic statement, but if those guys were on a TB or Pitts they would probably be doing much better than they did this year.

And I liked Hudon and Leks game this year don't get me wrong. But other teams seem to find these gems while the habs get stuck with 30-40 point guys who we lose patience with and trade away.

Yeah they would do better, but not 100%+ more points.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Keep in mind a 40 point player on the habs is really a 60 point player on any team. Its the Montreal Tax :)
Can you remind me what your offer for Giroux was cause i do remember plenty of daily Giroux threads to Mtl for peanuts?
He was sooo done.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Most of the hockey world thought he was at least a 60-70 point guy. I think Ray Ferraro said he would score 30 rolling out of bed.

Its no different than the posters who keep saying AG is going to be a PPG center. Being high on a former 3rd OVA pick isn't that much of a reach.

Something to consider is that Galchenyuk was close to PPG the last time he regularly played centre.

Bergevin didn't do Drouin or the team any favours by forcing him at centre.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It was strictly wishful thinking after Drouin was deployed at centre. He was set up to fail. Horrible decision making from above.
Beyond converting him to center, which I don't think was the biggest reason why he struggled...I think not acquiring anyone to insulate him was worse.

I mean, to convert him to center is one thing...but then to use him as your "#1" center with Tomas Plekanec & Philippe Danault as his insulation, is what actually set him up to fail, IMO.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Different players will react differently to what the coach does. Some guys like Gallagher will probably play their heart out regardless, others like Eller will struggle without the coach believing in him.

You can blame it on the player not being mentally tough, but the truth is guys who have the kind of mental toughness to go through anything are rare.

As for the list, PK was already a top-pairing D-man, Max had already hit 65 points, Price had already led the league in wins and was considered a top goalie.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Beyond converting him to center, which I don't think was the biggest reason why he struggled...I think not acquiring anyone to insulate him was worse.

I mean, to convert him to center is one thing...but then to use him as your "#1" center with Tomas Plekanec & Philippe Danault as his insulation, is what actually set him up to fail, IMO.

There was never the roster to support that experiment in the first place. It'll be interesting to see if that error is repeated.

Reactions: 417

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Can you remind me what your offer for Giroux was cause i do remember plenty of daily Giroux threads to Mtl for peanuts?
He was sooo done.

The guy was on decline. He went from 86 points to 73 to 67 and 58 you add this to his age and contract and you get bad offer, that were legit at time.

Today it's another story.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He was sooo done.

Giroux?

I would of been in on that as long as PHI would have retaind 1-1.5 mill. My thinking was if Radu was worth 6.25, a 1 year younger C in Giroux was worth 7.25.

As far as pieces, picks or whatever, even Max I was fine with.

I don't think PHI moves him now with the season he had and the one they had. They probably try and build on what they did rather than continue to "tank".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->