Why retooling is the best option for the Habs

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Even then though they will need to hope that Price gets back to his normal ways and that Weber isn't impacted by the foot injury. If Price is putting up a sub 2 gaa or close to it and Weber puts up 17-20 goals, Lehkonen is a 20 goal scorer, either Pac returns to his 30+ goal ways or they get decent value for him. Then they are certainly a better team.

HOPE!!....that is what this entire team is built on!! :nod::nod:

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not sure what you mean here, can you elaborate?

Because as you know, i'm definitely one of those who think coaching in the NHL is overrated.
Tough to elaborate as it didn't make any sense. :biglaugh:
My point was more that one side thinks the other views coaching to be a miracle fix, where coaches can turn any player into a NHLer. They overrate how the other side views coaching...if that makes more sense..

I have seen people argue that no matter how great your coach is, he won't make Tinordi into a top Dman. That is true. 100%.
Where a coach can make a difference is by telling Tinordi not to worry about dropping the gloves, by recognizing where the game is headed and focusing on that instead, by truly working on his weaknesses, by training his mental fortitude, by growing the understanding of the game, by being innovative, etc. I am not saying they didn't do this with Tinordi, although I don't believe they did, but no way to know. I was just using him as a name. What I can tell you though is that keeping a young player in the pressbox for 3 months is definitely not good at all. It doesn't mean Tinordi would have been a NHLer if they hadn't done that. But if they don't do that, also tell him not to fight and stop trying to be that big aggressive blue liner, try to focus more on solid defending and improving his first pass, make his off season training priorities about reaction time and agility, well all these little things start to add up and could make a big difference in the end.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Who says rebuild? I said fix. This is a retool thread, not rebuild thread.
Unless we get Dahlin, I feel signing JT will only hurt us in the end. He will sign for what..about 12M?
Him, Price, Weber, that's 30M on our three best players who we will be lucky if any of them can play up to par for half of their contract term considering their age. That is a problem.
And we have a bunch of other holes to deal with as well.

If we get Dahlin, then adding a superstar in the making like him on defense could really change things for us. I guess we find out tonight...*Fingers crossed!*

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If we get Dahlin, then adding a superstar in the making like him on defense could really change things for us. I guess we find out tonight...*Fingers crossed!*

Do people think Dahlin is going to be an immediately capable of playing first pair defence on the road? It could take until 2019-2020 for him to be at that point. So he might be ready at 21 but Weber and Price will be three years older.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Do people think Dahlin is going to be an immediately capable of playing first pair defence on the road? It could take until 2019-2020 for him to be at that point. So he might be ready at 21 but Weber and Price will be three years older.
I think he will take time to refine and mature his game, like other superstars, but he would still be a very good addition to our team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Unless we get Dahlin, I feel signing JT will only hurt us in the end. He will sign for what..about 12M?
Him, Price, Weber, that's 30M on our three best players who we will be lucky if any of them can play up to par for half of their contract term considering their age. That is a problem.
And we have a bunch of other holes to deal with as well.

Of course. One step at a time, we look at draft first then go on. I think getting Dahlin HELPS us in the UFA market because it shows promise. I think a guy like Tavares would say "Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, etc... and wait, they just got another superstar on the way?"

It's far more attractive. Still, I'd take JT even without Dahlin but status quo after isn't good enough. IMO we have a surplus of decent-good wingers, we should trade a couple for a top 4 D or at least a strong PP D.

Pacioretty
Gallagher
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Byron
Shaw
Lehkonen
Hudon

Carr
Deslauries
Scherbak
McCarron

all guys capable of playing wing with some effectiveness. This doesn't count guys like Rychel either. We can trade at least 1-2 of them for a competent D.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

How do you figure it would take the consensus 1st overall pick 3 years to be at least a #2 D? Did it take Ekblad 3 years? If he has the potential, he should be there within 1-2 years max. If he doesn't and is not deserving of 1st that's something else.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
How do you figure it would take the consensus 1st overall pick 3 years to be at least a #2 D? Did it take Ekblad 3 years? If he has the potential, he should be there within 1-2 years max. If he doesn't and is not deserving of 1st that's something else.

Ekblad is there offensively but he isn't defensively. So yes, it could take 2-3 years. It's not a knock on him. Hedman wasn't ready in 2 years.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Ekblad is there offensively but he isn't defensively. So yes, it could take 2-3 years. It's not a knock on him. Hedman wasn't ready in 2 years.

Are we talking as a #1 or as a top pairing D(1 or 2)

because Ekblad is a top pairing D.

Dahlin just needs to be a top 3 for now really. Mete, Juulsen, etc... will be improving a little as well and adding more options.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Are we talking as a #1 or as a top pairing D(1 or 2)

because Ekblad is a top pairing D.

Dahlin just needs to be a top 3 for now really. Mete, Juulsen, etc... will be improving a little as well and adding more options.

If you've watched Ekblad, he struggles on the road in his own end at times.

Dahlin would need to be a second/third pairing D and the GM needs to do his job and get a first pairing defenceman instead of making fans expect an 18 year old kid to do the role. It was stupid when people thought Mete could do the job and it's the same expecting Dahlin to do it. If this is supposed to be a Stanley Cup team, there needs to be two proper first pair defencemen on the first pair. Instead he signed Alzner and Streit to replace Markov and Emelin.

(If this is a rebuilding team, which it should be, getting Dahlin is fine because the expectation isn't anything other than develop. But expecting Dahlin to be your retool to get back to Cup contention is so broken.)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If you've watched Ekblad, he struggles on the road in his own end at times.

Dahlin would need to be a second/third pairing D and the GM needs to do his job and get a first pairing defenceman instead of making fans expect an 18 year old kid to do the role. It was stupid when people thought Mete could do the job and it's the same expecting Dahlin to do it. If this is supposed to be a Stanley Cup team, there needs to be two proper first pair defencemen on the first pair. Instead he signed Alzner and Streit to replace Markov and Emelin.

(If this is a rebuilding team, which it should be, getting Dahlin is fine because the expectation isn't anything other than develop. But expecting Dahlin to be your retool to get back to Cup contention is so broken.)

You can't compare Mete and Dahlin. Also, I never said Dahlin has to be #2 first year. I'm saying it won't take him 3 years. That's all I'm saying.

Just the same IF we get Dahlin which is not likely but if we do:

Weber(1)
Petry(3)
Dahlin(3-4, second pairing is fair no?)
Alzner(4-5)
Juulsen, Mete(Hard to project but 4-6 depending on development, I'd say more bottom pair)
Schlemko,Benn, Reilly (Bottom pair)

It looks better already since start of last season with Streit in the fold...With Mete, Juulsen, Dahlin and even Lernout, Valiev as depth it's got some young upcoming talent with Dahlin as centerpiece.

Who knows. I think Dahlin will be fine within 3 years no problem. Never said he'll be leading the charge year 1.

BTW never said Dahlin alone will get us to contention. Dahlin+Tavares can.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Of course. One step at a time, we look at draft first then go on. I think getting Dahlin HELPS us in the UFA market because it shows promise. I think a guy like Tavares would say "Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, etc... and wait, they just got another superstar on the way?"

It's far more attractive. Still, I'd take JT even without Dahlin but status quo after isn't good enough. IMO we have a surplus of decent-good wingers, we should trade a couple for a top 4 D or at least a strong PP D.

Pacioretty
Gallagher
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Byron
Shaw
Lehkonen
Hudon

Carr
Deslauries
Scherbak
McCarron

all guys capable of playing wing with some effectiveness. This doesn't count guys like Rychel either. We can trade at least 1-2 of them for a competent D.

A lot of crap in those listed wingers, but yes, I see no reason why we couldn't package some.
It's also clear to me we should trade Patches. I do not want him re-signed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad