Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This. New Jersey is one of the unsexiest franchises in the League. They are in a small market and have been bad for years. Plus they still have a bad reputation for their defensive trap playstyle. I think his nationality factors in even more tough. US and Canadian media like to push their own players. If you look at the Devils three rookies this year, Butcher seems to be getting by far the most hype despite the fact that he is the oldest of the bunch.

I think the underlined is the biggest one for me. It sucks but it's true. Having Brodeur as an amazing goalie for so long mixed with the perfected trap for a decade or two left long-lasting bad memories of everything Devils related. They'd need to be a high-scoring team with bonified exciting stars for the perception to change IMO. Otherwise I have nothing against them.

Reactions: Speyer

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
No just am tired of people wanting the Nico hype train so bad when in reality it never even left the station. He is not impressive in any way. I have seen him play a few times and he hasn't done anything to turn any games to fuel any talk. He is just a guy as of right now. His play would be more impressive if he was a nobody 6th round pick to be honest.

This is ridiculous.
You could credibly argue that he is not a high-end first overall pick, but to flat out dismiss his talent entirely is ludicrous, and even among those who aren't overly impressed by him I think you' struggle to find anyone who agrees.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
This is ridiculous.
You could credibly argue that he is not a high-end first overall pick, but to flat out dismiss his talent entirely is ludicrous, and even among those who aren't overly impressed by him I think you' struggle to find anyone who agrees.

Name the most impressive thing he has done this year.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
So according to his logic Stamkos' season is now less impressive because he can't outscore 58 overall Kucherov?

Also Seguin clearly sucks he has only a few points more than fith round pick jaime benn...

You are reallllllllly trying to drive this far past aren't you?

Just admit it, Nico is the 2nd least impressive 1st overall pick in his rookie year since Daigle. I am giving you Stefan you happy?

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Name the most impressive thing he has done this year.

Have you watched him and Hall together? Aside from his respectable point totals and his already reasonably developed two-way game, he has brought out the best in a player like few have before.

No, he's not Matthews, but when you refuse to give any credit to his play you are just not credible, sorry.

Reactions: Fixxer

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
There are two reasons:

1: New Jersey isn't as big of a market and has less fans than Toronto and Edmonton did (who picked first the two years prior)

2: He's also been over-shadowed by the 2015 and 2016 draft having generational top talents coming off of them.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This. New Jersey is one of the unsexiest franchises in the League. They are in a small market and have been bad for years. Plus they still have a bad reputation for their defensive trap playstyle. I think his nationality factors in even more tough. US and Canadian media like to push their own players. If you look at the Devils three rookies this year, Butcher seems to be getting by far the most hype despite the fact that he is the oldest of the bunch.

So willful stupidity is responsible for not looking at the facts.

The Devils have been bad for five years and are now back to competing for the top of the division. We'll see if they sustain it, but if they do, show me another organization that was rebuilt that fast.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Have you watched him and Hall together? Aside from his respectable point totals and his already reasonably developed two-way game, he has brought out the best in a player like few have before.

No, he's not Matthews, but when you refuse to give any credit to his play you are just not credible, sorry.

Name something, anything. Give me a highlight of a play or something. Find me a crazy back check an amazing pass anything I need something.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
You are literally ridiculous in this thread.

Come on man that highlight is not impressive, he came in the zone slowed up, turned his blade at an angle and hit a streaking Hall for a goal. I was legit thinking I was gonna be blown away by something and that was so underwhelming.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
He went first overall. I guess call me old school I expect more out of a supposed star.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
The problem is if Nico fans put me on ignore lists then they can't stop me from exposing how Nico is nothing special. I mean I think it is the funniest thing ever because even the biggest Nico fans know it is true that is why the big reaction. If everything I said was baseless and clearly untrue it would not elicit this reaction.

It is though. Because what are you even basing your assumptions on? On highlight gifs?

No problem to have the opinion that Nico is nothing special, but please show some effort. He is not the most unimpressive Rookie since Daigle. What are you even basing that on? Because he only has 20 points and the others have successful careers? That's so much bullshit, you can't just randomly use hindsight for some players. Because if you actually compare the performance of the 1st Overalls after 27 games, even you'd see that Nico is actually very impressive.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Come on man that highlight is not impressive, he came in the zone slowed up, turned his blade at an angle and hit a streaking Hall for a goal. I was legit thinking I was gonna be blown away by something and that was so underwhelming.
Well, that was a genuinely impressive move to me. He found that angle really well. It wasn't the obvious play.

He went first overall. I guess call me old school I expect more out of a supposed star.
Kind of like you expected more out of Stamkos, Seguin and Eichel in their first seasons? No one's calling Hischier McDavid.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011

What has being oldschool have to do with anything? Matthews had the exact same amount of points after 27 games, was that unimpressive as well?

Reactions: BruinLVGA

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
It is though. Because what are you even basing your assumptions on? On highlight gifs?

No problem to have the opinion that Nico is nothing special, but please show some effort. He is not the most unimpressive Rookie since Daigle. What are you even basing that on? Because he only has 20 points and the others have successful careers? That's so much bull****, you can't just randomly use hindsight for some players. Because if you actually compare the performance of the 1st Overalls after 27 games, even you'd see that Nico is actually very impressive.

I said 2nd least impressive. I modified after guy brought up Stefan

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
You are reallllllllly trying to drive this far past aren't you?

Just admit it, Nico is the 2nd least impressive 1st overall pick in his rookie year since Daigle. I am giving you Stefan you happy?

Why not? Bratts draft status has nothing to do with the player he is today. Im pretty sure he would go top 10 in a redraft. And Nico is definitly not the second worst first overall pick since daigle. The north american media just don't hype him up for reasons already explained by various users in this thread. TSN, Sportsnet, NHL-Network etc. run stories that generate ratings. Hischier is not from the US or Canada and does not play for a team at a lot of hockey fans are interested in. He doesn't generate raitings and therefore doesn't get coverage. On the other hand you can be sure that TSN will run antother bit about Boeser when he scores his next goal because hes a good American boy who plays for the Canucks and looks like Prince Charming...

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
What has being oldschool have to do with anything? Matthews had the exact same amount of points after 27 games, was that unimpressive as well?

Matthews had a 4 goal game as a debut. He lit the hockey world on fire from his first game. You can't deny that.

Markuss

Dec 2, 2017
Vancouver
I actually forgot about Hischier until the Canucks played the Devils so no, not much spotlight on him.

He's not having a bad year at all but 5 goals in 26 games doesn't make him stand out (I know Barzal only has 6 but he's at or near the rookie scoring lead). Butcher has the same amount of points playing D, to me that stands out more.

The Daigle comparison is surely a joke but anyway... Nico is on pace for more points in his rookie season than Daigle had in any season over more than a decade in the NHL. Daigle never had a positive +/- in any season and managed more than 20 goals just once. If your only criteria is points through 30 games, you could be critical of almost anyone.

In my experience, some rookie centers can take time. We traded Schneider to the Devils for a 9th pick that became Horvat. He had only 25 and 40 points in his first two seasons respectively. This year at 22 years old he's on pace for 30 goals/60 points and has taken just 1 penalty while leading all centers in faceoff %. Henrik Sedin had 29, 36, 39, and 42 points in his first 4 seasons. He's been roughly a point a game in almost 1000 games since, including 112 in '09-'10. Ryan Kesler's another example.

Three Devils rookies all playing around 16min a night and contributing regularly, who needs a spotlight? Future looks bright enough.

Reactions: Dialamo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad