Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Besides talk on the NJ board and his prospect thread, Nico Hischier seemingly gets zero love from the media or HFBoards. Why is this? Every single first overall in the last decade has gotten a never ending amount of press, coverage, and talk - especially in their rookie year, even if underwhelming... so maybe Hischier is playing poorly?

Nope! The 18-until-January-year old (only one in the league) has 20 points in 27 games played thus far. That is the exact same amount Matthews had in his rookie season at 27 games played. On top of that, Hischier's two-way play would probably have you forgetting this is only his second season on North American ice.

I get he went to a smaller market but even Ekblad and MacKinnon got FAR more coverage and spotlight than Hischier has yet/at all up to this point. So I felt it necessary to get the conversation going with my opinion:

For simple playstyle comparisons, I think Laine = Ovechkin, McDavid = Crosby, Matthews = Malkin, Eichel = ???? and Hischier = Datsyuk. Hischier, like Datsyuk, is extremely smart and seemingly always in the right place at the right time. Shifty, quick, and great edge-work.

Post your thoughts and beliefs about Hischier and lets give this kid some of the attention he deserves.

Last edited:

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
If he was Canadian there would be a lot more talk. Or even in a Canadian team. I think it's good for him to be able to play without all the media pressure. It's very nice to see him succeed points-wise on top of good two-way game. I would really like to hear from the Swiss posters here if there is a lot of talk about Nico in Switzerland? Like if Laine scores all the biggest newspapers are going crazy here lol.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Besides talk on the NJ board and his prospect thread, Nico Hischier seemingly gets zero love from the media or HFBoards. Why is this? Every single first overall in the last decade has gotten a never ending amount of press, coverage, and talk - especially in their rookie year, even if underwhelming... so maybe Hischier is playing poorly?

Nope! The 18-until-January-year old (only one in the league) has 20 points in 27 games played thus far. That is the exact same amount Matthews had in his rookie season at 27 games played. On top of that, Hischier's two-way play would probably have you forgetting this is only his second season on North American ice.

I get he went to a smaller market but even Ekblad and MacKinnon got FAR more coverage and spotlight than Hischier has yet/at all up to this point. So I felt it necessary to get the conversation going with my opinion:

For simple comparisons, I think Laine = Ovechkin, McDavid = Crosby, Matthews = Malkin, Eichel = ???? and Hischier = Datsyuk. Hischier, like Datsyuk, is extremely smart and seemingly always in the right place at the right time. Shifty, quick, and great edge-work.

Post your thoughts and beliefs about Hischier and lets give this kid some of the attention he deserves.

Let's not forget that the general consensus was that the 2017 draft class was the least impressive in many, many years. I'd argue that most were expecting that neither Hischier nor Patrick were going to blow the doors off the way McDavid or Matthews did.

Add to that he's not in the top 3 for most impressive rookie this season in the minds of most... and well... you know.

To answer your initial question... Hischier hasn't gotten the coverage because he hasn't earned it. Comparing Hischier to Datsyuk is odd for a great many reasons, not the least of which is the dearth of NA media coverage Daysyuk received in his D+1 season.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Let's not forget that the general consensus was that the 2017 draft class was the least impressive in many, many years. I'd argue that most were expecting that neither Hischier nor Patrick were going to blow the doors off the way McDavid or Matthews did.

Add to that he's not in the top 3 for most impressive rookie this season in the minds of most... and well... you know.

To answer your initial question... Hischier hasn't gotten the coverage because he hasn't earned it. Comparing Hischier to Datsyuk is odd for a great many reasons, not the least of which is the dearth of NA media coverage Daysyuk received in his D+1 season.
The comparisons are mainly for playstyles - sorry if that was confusing.

And how hasn’t he ‘earned’ the coverage? Curious what that means

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
If he was Canadian there would be a lot more talk. Or even in a Canadian team. I think it's good for him to be able to play without all the media pressure. It's very nice to see him succeed points-wise on top of good two-way game. I would really like to hear from the Swiss posters here if there is a lot of talk about Nico in Switzerland? Like if Laine scores all the biggest newspapers are going crazy here lol.
Most news papers have a small article to cover the NHL every day. Whenever he had a game, he gets mentioned.

You occasionally see an article dedicated to him, but that has gotten rarer by now.

Hockey fans know who he is and loosely follow his progress, but you will mostly get a confused "... who?" from random people on the street if you asked them about Nico.

The time zones issue is a harsh blow to his exposure here, to be honest.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I think the surprising amount of rookies putting up high quality seasons to date have stolen it from him.

Very good start to his season as an 18 year old but the Calder trophy race is the spotlight for rookies. he isn't top 3 right now.

You could always start a bunch of threads until members begin to hate him. It'll keep discussion on him going forever. Just bump the thread anytime he makes a positive. Someone will counter.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The comparisons are mainly for playstyles - sorry if that was confusing.

And how hasn’t he ‘earned’ the coverage? Curious what that means

There are more compelling rookie stories to pay attention to than Hischier. That's just how it is, sorry.

Comparing playing styles is kinda sorta fun and interesting, but should never be taken too seriously. I did not find your comparison confusing, but rather, irrelevant. Hischier may be the next Datsyuk or he may be the next Daigle. In the end, results matter, not draft position. Datsyuk was drafted in the sixth round, after all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly I think a lot of it is because most people haven’t watched him.

Even with improved play most people aren’t shuffling through their Gamecenter apps to pick out the Devils to watch.

Plus while he is the best rookie on the team, Bratt is a far more interesting story as a 6th round pick playing like a top 5 one.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Hes not canadian, doesn't play for Toronto, isn't from NA for that matter, and is possibly living in Will Butchers shadow atm.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Name a less impressive first overall since Daigle then other than Hisher
Patrick Stefan and Nail Yakupov, for sure. Probably Erik Johnson as well. I'd personally throw in Ekblad myself, although I know that's a contentious statement.

Regardless of names, how can you determine this when he's played 26 games? 26 games where he's produced admirably as a teenager. He's on pace for about 55 points, aka what John Tavares had in his rookie season. Is he unimpressive too?

What a ridiculous post. Embarrassing hot take.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Patrick Stefan and Nail Yakupov, for sure. Probably Erik Johnson as well. I'd personally throw in Ekblad myself, although I know that's a contentious statement.

Regardless of names, how can you determine this when he's played 26 games? 26 games where he's produced admirably as a teenager. He's on pace for about 55 points, aka what John Tavares had in his rookie season. Is he unimpressive too?

What a ridiculous post. Embarrassing hot take.

Good points. I don't agree with Ekblad but you have made me modify my statement.

He is the 4th least impressive first overall pick since Daigle maybe?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hes not canadian, doesn't play for Toronto, isn't from NA for that matter, and is possibly living in Will Butchers shadow atm.

I would say behind Bratt but that just illustrates the problem.

The Devil’s rookies are sold as a package in almost any story written about them this year, not as individuals. There has been some definite ink talking about how good they look but it is almost always as a package.

Reactions: Kyndig

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because Boeser, Keller, and Barzal (or at least have been) are putting up better-counting stats (which dictates coverage heavily because of how simplistic it is), and he plays in a minor NHL market.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Does it matter the definition? There have been plenty of hard busts at first overall since Daigle that proves his statement as idiotic.
It matters because it doesn't even make sense. Daigle wasn't an unimpressive pick he was hugely hyped. So he can't mean unimpressive at the time of the draft. And nico has been anything but unimpressive scoring at his pace as an 18 year old so he can't mean post draft. Sooooo trying to wrap my heas around what im missing here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad