Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
He also has no 4 goal game, or incredible highlights like Matthews had either. No top 10 plays for people to go WOW
What a pain about that 4 goal game. It's almost like Matthews found the cure for cancer. Even Toronto fans aren't continously tooting that horn.
What you consider "incredible highlights" and "top 10 plays for people to go wow", it's a mystery. What is not a mystery though, it's that when you asked for quality plays by Hischier, I gave you from the top of my head a shortlist a while back in the thread and you proceeded to ignore it, as it doesn't suit your agenda. That didn't surprise me though.

Last edited:

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
It seems people on here would be more impressed if the Devils were dead last, Nico was a -15, played no defense and scored at a PPG pace with 10 goals.

edit: oh and a few WOW plays. of course.

Sure. But the most impressive thing to HFboards would be if he were also shooting at 50% and had scored those 10 goals off of only 20 shots in 27 games. And if over 50% of his points were on the PP, preferably from the top of the circle where he'd just sit like a pylon waiting for a one timer. If he did all of this while being Canadian and playing in Canada the internet would literally break and HFBoards would proclaim Nico the greatest player of all time.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It seems people on here would be more impressed if the Devils were dead last, Nico was a -15, played no defense and scored at a PPG pace with 10 goals.

edit: oh and a few WOW plays. of course.

You're spot on + you pretty much described Keller... AZ last (or around there, it's them vs Buffalo), he's -19, plays no defense, was at ppg+ pace (no longer anymore) and has 10+ goals = TOP Calder candidate, while Nico = mediocre. It goes to show how most people are plain blind, isn't it?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
he's a 1oA who is projected to hit 60 points while playing with someone projected to hit 90.

is he a great player? absolutely. is his level deserving of the attention most 1OA's get? no.
Do you know how many first overall picks in the last 20 seasons have hit 60 points in their first season? Matthews, MacKinnon, Kane, Crosby (and Ovechkin in his draft+1 season that same year), and that's it. McDavid, RNH, and Kovalchuk probably would have if they stayed healthy. That's 5 out of 20 players drafted first overall since 1997 that have topped 60 points, with 3 more on pace but who were injured. 17 forwards have been drafted 1OA in that time. If Hischier gets 60 points, how is that not deserving of attention?

Reactions: haak84

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Nico isn't a flashy player. I think he's going to be a great NHL player. Maybe a notch below Matthews.

Keep in mind that Matthews' ceiling is top 5 all time NHL Forward. Behind Lemieux, Gretzky, Jagr, Crosby.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Statistically speaking, it was bound to happen for him to be sincere at least once in this thread. Surprised he admitted to it so candidly, still.

The truth is I am actually one of the Devils PR staff and I figured by taking the opposing viewpoint on Nico I could keep this thread in the top 5 for a couple days so people would actually know he is in the league and didn't get sent back to junior hahahahahhaaha

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He was not a concensus No.1 pick. He plays on a team where there isn't as much media and hype such as the original 6.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Nico isn't a flashy player. I think he's going to be a great NHL player. Maybe a notch below Matthews.

Keep in mind that Matthews' ceiling is top 5 all time NHL Forward. Behind Lemieux, Gretzky, Jagr, Crosby.

A notch below Matthews?

imo; he will be the lowest of the low; just a notch above Toby :sarcasm:

any office fans around? lol

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
1. This was really the only draft in the past 10 years when going into the draft, nobody really knew who was going to go first overall. Im sure most people believed Patrick would go 1st withe some believing Hischier would go 1st.

2. He wasn't touted as a generational talent; or even a franchise talent.

3. As of now; there are quite a few rookies who are having better years than him.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
LOL. That’s why he’s not in the NHL. More likely he’s the next Yakupov.
Was being sarcastic. In all seriousness though, he is a tier below Matthews, hence he is not talked as much. Better players tend to get more coverage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad