Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

anyone who has watched this kid extensively will tell you his game is mature well beyond his year. He might not be a flashy goal scorer right now but this kid is getting it done and is on pace for a fantastic season

Reactions: My3Sons

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I actually think Nolan is getting an unfair wrap recently. Flyers aren’t good and he hasn’t been healthy. I still think he will be plenty good.

But yes I’m happier with Nico haha.

Usually drafting a smallish winger over the huge projected number 1 centre works out.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
The market plays into as well. He would get more press if he was doing this in Canada. That is par for the course though.

Maybe it is because of the fact that Bratt is doing the same thing despite being a total unknown as well. You would think Number 1 NICO could at least be outpacing him

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Yakupov finished his rookie season leading all rookies in goals with 17, and tied with Huberdeau for points with 31 in 48 games played, Yakupov also scored 11 goals in the month of April, second only to fellow countryman Ovi.
The rookie class that year isn't nearly as strong as this one, and Hischier is currently on a higher PPG pace than Yakupov had in his rookie year while playing an almost elite 2 way game, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Your arguments are weak.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The rookie class that year isn't nearly as strong as this one, and Hischier is currently on a higher PPG pace than Yakupov had in his rookie year while playing an almost elite 2 way game, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Your arguments are weak.

He has no argument. He hasn’t actually watched Nico play.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015

No they're aren't. Like I said a little above, Nico can't even outpaced a nobody rookie on his own squad, come on now man. Does that mean that Bratt should have gone number 1?

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
He has no argument. He hasn’t actually watched Nico play.

No just am tired of people wanting the Nico hype train so bad when in reality it never even left the station. He is not impressive in any way. I have seen him play a few times and he hasn't done anything to turn any games to fuel any talk. He is just a guy as of right now. His play would be more impressive if he was a nobody 6th round pick to be honest.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
The guy went number 1. Remember when that meant something? When the hype train was full speed, everyone wondering watching. Nico doesn't have that because he hasn't done anything to deserve it.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
The guy went number 1. Remember when that meant something? When the hype train was full speed, everyone wondering watching. Nico doesn't have that because he hasn't done anything to deserve it.
Lets see, at Nicos current pace, he is set to eclipse:

- Yakupovs PPG in his rookie year
- Ryan Nugent Hopkins best single season point totals
- Steven Stamkos rookie point total
- Taylor Halls rookie point total and PPG
- John Tavares rookie point total and PPG

So if we're just basing everything off of rookie years as you've indicated, then what makes Nico any less special than all of the above mentioned?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
What are you talking about? Drai didn't go number 1 and his rookie year was a joke.
Anyone can throw out irrelevant numbers like you. I’ll leave this one for you tho

Nico is on pace for a whole 8 points less than what generational talent Mathews had his rookie year

Reactions: BruinLVGA

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Lets see, at Nicos current pace, he is set to eclipse:

- Yakupovs PPG in his rookie year
- Ryan Nugent Hopkins best single season point totals
- Steven Stamkos rookie point total
- Taylor Halls rookie point total and PPG
- John Tavares rookie point total and PPG

So if we're just basing everything off of rookie years as you've indicated, then what makes Nico any less special than all of the above mentioned?

So if Nico is so special why does this thread exist please tell me? He is just a guy. All the players you have listed got the hockey world jacked up.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
So if Nico is so special why does this thread exist please tell me? He is just a guy. All the players you have listed got the hockey world jacked up.
What do those players have in common? They either play for a Canadian team or they are Canadians themselves.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Anyone can throw out irrelevant numbers like you. I’ll leave this one for you tho

Nico is on pace for a whole 8 points less than what generational talent Mathews had his rookie year

Ok man this is getting really delusional. You are comparing Nico to Matthews. I hate the Leafs as well but that is laughable. Matthews is a super talent and everyone with eyes could tell from game 1 of his rookie year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ok man this is getting really delusional. You are comparing Nico to Matthews. I hate the Leafs as well but that is laughable. Matthews is a super talent and everyone with eyes could tell from game 1 of his rookie year.

So if we are looking at careers after the rookie year you were already given a long list of disappointing 1st overalls with Yak at the top of the list.

Either pick a definition of “impressive” or just move along.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. All I did was compare point totals

Matthews had a 40 goal rookie season. I'm sorry man, that is going to be more impressive than anything Nico does this year.

I find it weird that I had to say that.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
So if we are looking at careers after the rookie year you were already given a long list of disappointing 1st overalls with Yak at the top of the list.

Either pick a definition of “impressive” or just move along.

Don't want to write it again, but Matthews had a 40 goal rookie season. Nothing Nico does is going to be more impressive than that.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I haven't heard of him. But I haven't watched a NJ game this year. They're pretty much a bottom 3 or 4 team that I follow on my list.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Thanks for this very insightful post.

Well it should shed insight as to why he doesn't get much attention. NJ isn't an overly popular team league-wide for decades. But hey, if they got a star or even superstar, good for them. I mean I'll watch for the name now because of this thread. So that's good.

Reactions: Palpatine

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Well it should shed insight as to why he doesn't get much attention. NJ isn't an overly popular team league-wide for decades. But hey, if they got a star or even superstar, good for them. I mean I'll watch for the name now because of this thread. So that's good.

A star like the 1st overall pick in the draft? :sarcasm:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I haven't heard of him. But I haven't watched a NJ game this year. They're pretty much a bottom 3 or 4 team that I follow on my list.

This. New Jersey is one of the unsexiest franchises in the League. They are in a small market and have been bad for years. Plus they still have a bad reputation for their defensive trap playstyle. I think his nationality factors in even more tough. US and Canadian media like to push their own players. If you look at the Devils three rookies this year, Butcher seems to be getting by far the most hype despite the fact that he is the oldest of the bunch.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad