Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I would really like to hear from the Swiss posters here if there is a lot of talk about Nico in Switzerland? Like if Laine scores all the biggest newspapers are going crazy here lol.

NHL-coverage has risen a lot here, Hischier is just one reason for this. Streit and Josi are mostly responsible for that. There is now a daily coverage of all the games whith Swiss players included (highlights and mentions) and of course from time to time Nico gets a deeper look at.

We vote each year for sportsmen and sportswomen of the year and at this event there is also a category newcomer of the year where Nico is nominated (and very probably will win). And Roman Josi is one of the six nominees for sportsmen of the year.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Better two-way game than the other rookie forwards who are outscoring him (no knock on them - Keller, Barzal, Boeser are all impressive) and he's still fourth (tied) in points. We'll see who drops off and who maintains their current play in the Calder race.

Also, some of the responses here serve as further proof that most hockey fans do not know what they are talking about when it comes to the Devils. At all.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Stefan, Johnson, Yakupov, Di Pietro, Philipps, arguably RNH. Right now he is on pace for similar rookies totals the likes of Mckinnon, Hall and Tavares had...

I actually take back Johnson his rookie year: Averaged 18 minutes of ice-time per game to go with 5 goals and 28 assists in 69 games.

That is a great rookie season was actually surprised to read that.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Stefan, Johnson, Yakupov, Di Pietro, Philipps, arguably RNH. Right now he is on pace for similar rookies totals the likes of Mckinnon, Hall and Tavares had...

Nuge scored 52 points in 62 games on a poopy team. He looked like Datysuk out there (before tearing up his shoulder).

Yak score 17 goals in the lockout shorten season and actually looked like he might score 30+ goals if the season was 82 games. His PPG wasn't too shabby either.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Nuge scored 52 points in 62 games on a poopy team. He looked like Datysuk out there (before tearing up his shoulder).

Yak score 17 goals in the lockout shorten season and actually looked like he might score 30+ goals if the season was 82 games. His PPG wasn't too shabby either.

Ya I am back to my old statement of Hischer is the least impressive first overall since Daigle haha.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yakupov is easily the worst 1st overall pick. The guys never even topped 35 points in a season, thats gotta be some kind of record.

For sure... but after the rookie season expectations were high... like Marner, Nylander, Nico high. It wasn't like he bombed his rookie season like Jumbo Joe did.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I actually take back Johnson his rookie year: Averaged 18 minutes of ice-time per game to go with 5 goals and 28 assists in 69 games.

That is a great rookie season was actually surprised to read that.

He was a year older than Nico though. Only 1st overall in recent memory not to make the NHL in his first year...

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
NHL-coverage has risen a lot here, Hischier is just one reason for this. Streit and Josi are mostly responsible for that. There is now a daily coverage of all the games whith Swiss players included (highlights and mentions) and of course from time to time Nico gets a deeper look at.

We vote each year for sportsmen and sportswomen of the year and at this event there is also a category newcomer of the year where Nico is nominated (and very probably will win). And Roman Josi is one of the six nominees for sportsmen of the year.
Wow I am very glad to hear that. In the next World Cup they could easily take Switzerland as one team and not ice any gimmick teams.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Yakupov is easily the worst 1st overall pick. The guys never even topped 35 points in a season, thats gotta be some kind of record.

Did we know that in his rookie year? Absolutely not. He was more impressive than Hischer was as of right now.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Ya I am back to my old statement of Hischer is the least impressive first overall since Daigle haha.
How about the fact Stamkos only scored 46 points in his rookie year? How about watch the kid play before making idiotic comments.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was a year older than Nico though. Only 1st overall in recent memory not to make the NHL in his first year...
I wouldn't really phrase that as didn't make it. He wanted to go for a year at Minnesota, therefore wasn't eligible to go to NHL training camp and remain eligible. He deferred entrance, more than didn't make it.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Wow I am very glad to hear that. In the next World Cup they could easily take Switzerland as one team and not ice any gimmick teams.

Yeah, that would be great. If there is another World Cup. ;)

Another problem regarding that is that the Swiss federation doesn't like the idea because they'd have to postpone their own season (or start it without players of the national team).

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I wouldn't really phrase that as didn't make it. He wanted to go for a year at Minnesota, therefore wasn't eligible to go to NHL training camp and remain eligible. He deferred entrance, more than didn't make it.

Ok fair enough still makes him a year older during his rookie season...

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
How about the fact Stamkos only scored 46 points in his rookie year? How about watch the kid play before making idiotic comments.

Don't change history everyone knew Stammer was a Gem, it was horrid coaching that year that killed him period.

member 105785

He's not talked about because NJD has 3 rookies who could win the Calder in a normal year and Jesper Bratt took all his hype at the start of the season. Combine that with Keller, Boeser, and Barzal and theres your answer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's not talked about because NJD has 3 rookies who could win the Calder in a normal year and Jesper Bratt took all his hype at the start of the season. Combine that with Keller, Boeser, and Barzal and theres your answer.

The market plays into as well. He would get more press if he was doing this in Canada. That is par for the course though.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

This.

Just be happy the Devils didn't pick Nolan Patrick :)

Reactions: zharkenby

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
And what is that based on?

Yakupov finished his rookie season leading all rookies in goals with 17, and tied with Huberdeau for points with 31 in 48 games played, Yakupov also scored 11 goals in the month of April, second only to fellow countryman Ovi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad