Who will win the Selke trophy?

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
2012-13 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

There were 179 ballots cast for the Selke in 2013

167 Ballots were cast for Towes (75 1st place votes) so he was left off the ballot completely 12 times.

164 Ballots were cast for Bergeron (78 1st place votes) so he was left off the ballot completely 15 times.

Towes won by 10 points that year, despite having fewer 1st place votes, which is why many people feel he was robbed that year (myself included). That's just one 1st place vote. When Bergeron was left off the ballot completely by three more writers than Towes, yet players like Hossa and Stephan and Callahan each received a single 1st place vote you can see how people feel that Bergy was robbed that year.

If you were adjust the voting totals so that they were both on all 179 ballots based on the ratios of actual votes cast for them the totals would be

Towes: 80 - 55 - 22 - 17 - 5 - 1351 points
Bergeron: 85 - 48 - 26 - 13 - 7 - 1362 points

As far as 2016 goes, it was extremely close between Kopitar and Bergy, but I have to think/feel that the Bruins late-season collapse had to play into the voting.

--

This year, as long as Bergy stays healthy, and the Bruins don't suffer a late season collapse, based upon his performance to date I have to feel its Bergeron's to lose at this point.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Jesus Christ. Kopitar didn't deserve the Selke, Doughty didn't deserve the Norris...are we gonna pull Williams' Conn Smythe so we can give it to Lundqvist now too?

Starting to think we should add 'time zone' to profiles.
Williams arguably didn't deserve it

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
No, you were right, @JP Nolan is wrong. Bergeron has 6 GA at 5v5 this year. That's outstanding. it IS the Bergeron-Pastrnak-Marchand superline that has 10 GF and ZERO GA this year.

No need to lie about Bergeron's dominance, so that post bugs me.
I said his LINE......i did not lie. I said the Bergeron line is unscored on 5v5....thats true.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I said his LINE......i did not lie. I said the Bergeron line is unscored on 5v5....thats true.

THAT version of it yes. But he hasn't been playing with them all year, hence the other 5v5 goals against. You're presenting it as if every line he has been on has had 0 goals scored. Maybe you're not intentionally lying, but you're certainly misrepresenting facts, and that's completely unnecessary with how great he's been.

otherwise, hey, the Kopitar line has been on for 0 5v5 GA this year as well, since him-gaborik-brown haven't been scored on.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
THAT version of it yes. But he hasn't been playing with them all year, hence the other 5v5 goals against. You're presenting it as if every line he has been on has had 0 goals scored. Maybe you're not intentionally lying, but you're certainly misrepresenting facts, and that's completely unnecessary with how great he's been.

otherwise, hey, the Kopitar line has been on for 0 5v5 GA this year as well, since him-gaborik-brown haven't been scored on.

Do they have over 200mins together as a line?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do they have over 200mins together as a line?

Not even close. Would you say I'm misrepresenting a fact/omit info in order to present a biased version of reality?

The line you're referencing has 219 minutes together (hence your conveniently arbitrary cutoff); Bergeron has 473 minutes of 5v5 ice time. In other words, that line that's being presented as his permanent line this whole season hasn't even been together for half of his TOI.

I don't want to be this pedantic, but you guys are reaching when you don't need to be.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017

When i say HIS LINE........That is Pasta and Marchand. I did not say him or he......Saying "his line" means i was transparent.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why is that ???....Do you realize that the Bergeron line has not been scored on 5v5 ALL YEAR........

Guys....NOBODY has scored even one goal vs the Bergeron line 5 v 5 the entire season.........BERGERON will clearly win it again hands down....He is playing Chess and everyone else is playing checkers....

When i say HIS LINE........That is Pasta and Marchand. I did not say him or he......Saying "his line" means i was transparent.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: wintersej

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

No, saying "his current line" would be transparent, or at least more so. Actually, even then it would be misleading, because you said "the entire season" which still implies that it's a line that has been together the whole time.

Clearly that hasn't been the case. The way you worded it, and omitting important information comes across as you trying to BS people to prop up Bergeron, who really doesn't need the help, by the way.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeh. I feel the Selke is a bit like boxing... in that it is not enough to come in vs a champion and simply have an even fight. (which is ~what Couturier is doing this year) You have to clearly beat them. Fair or not.

It does seem like Barkov and Couturier are the heirs apparent to the Selke battle.

Bergeron
Couturier
Kopitar

are probably the top three so far. Not sure I agree with Kopitar being there given what the award is for and how he has played this year... but I can imagine that is how the media see it.

Worth noting that Bergeron and Couturiers ExGA/60 are identical, and Couturier has a better ExGF%... while playing tougher minutes.

The one thing I've always found incredible about Bergeron's possession numbers is that he is generally near the very top in CF% and CF% relative.

I agree with the boxing analogy. I also feel it exists for the Norris unless Voter fatigue occurs (like it did with Karlsson).

Reactions: Appleyard

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
2012-13 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

There were 179 ballots cast for the Selke in 2013

167 Ballots were cast for Towes (75 1st place votes) so he was left off the ballot completely 12 times.

164 Ballots were cast for Bergeron (78 1st place votes) so he was left off the ballot completely 15 times.

Towes won by 10 points that year, despite having fewer 1st place votes, which is why many people feel he was robbed that year (myself included). That's just one 1st place vote. When Bergeron was left off the ballot completely by three more writers than Towes, yet players like Hossa and Stephan and Callahan each received a single 1st place vote you can see how people feel that Bergy was robbed that year.

If you were adjust the voting totals so that they were both on all 179 ballots based on the ratios of actual votes cast for them the totals would be

Towes: 80 - 55 - 22 - 17 - 5 - 1351 points
Bergeron: 85 - 48 - 26 - 13 - 7 - 1362 points

As far as 2016 goes, it was extremely close between Kopitar and Bergy, but I have to think/feel that the Bruins late-season collapse had to play into the voting.

--

This year, as long as Bergy stays healthy, and the Bruins don't suffer a late season collapse, based upon his performance to date I have to feel its Bergeron's to lose at this point.

This kind of trolling by the national media types that vote on awards bugs the shit out of me. Even with Toews, who 12 idiots left off the ballot...what the hell were they thinking? Some moron gave Patty Kane a 2nd place vote.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
This kind of trolling by the national media types that vote on awards bugs the **** out of me. Even with Toews, who 12 idiots left off the ballot...what the hell were they thinking? Some moron gave Patty Kane a 2nd place vote.

Was 100% intentional -- they were maxing the points they're giving their respective favorite over the other. I'd bet cash money that the 15 ballots without Bergeron had Towes #1 and the 12 ballots without Towes had Bergy #1. Towes just had more media types in his corner willing to use that underhanded tactic.

If both sides had voted honestly and included both then more than likely we'd be talking about Bergy going for his sixth Selke right now, as it would have required all 4th/5th place votes for Bergy not to win that year.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Personally I think the guy with the most first place votes should win, which would put Bergeron first (with 78) over Toews (with 75) the year Toews won. The fact that he won, by only 10 points at that, only with the help of 2nd - 5th place votes is ridiculous. Use those votes as a tiebreaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00