Who will win the Selke trophy?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Not even close. Would you say I'm misrepresenting a fact/omit info in order to present a biased version of reality?

The line you're referencing has 219 minutes together (hence your conveniently arbitrary cutoff); Bergeron has 473 minutes of 5v5 ice time. In other words, that line that's being presented as his permanent line this whole season hasn't even been together for half of his TOI.

I don't want to be this pedantic, but you guys are reaching when you don't need to be.

Well no, the stat is they are the only line that has played +200 minutes together without giving up a goal. I don't know why you are so bothered about something that is factual.

Of course he probably only spends 40% of his time with his designated "line". He takes tons of defensive faceoffs for other liens, Marchand has been hurt and the PP/PK units vary .

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why is that ???....Do you realize that the Bergeron line has not been scored on 5v5 ALL YEAR........

Guys....NOBODY has scored even one goal vs the Bergeron line 5 v 5 the entire season.........BERGERON will clearly win it again hands down....He is playing Chess and everyone else is playing checkers....
No one has scored 5 on 5 when Bergeron, Marchand, and Pasternak have all been on the ice.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Barkov for me.
As a Bruins fan I'm obviously biased on this subject...however Barkov is probably my 2nd favourite player to watch behind Bergeron. So smooth, so smart. He's going to win it a few times in his career IMO.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
But goals have been scored against them when 2 of them have been on the ice in the midst of a line change.
Nobody claimed otherwise. The NHL pointed out that they were the only line to have played a minimum of 200+ minutes together 5v5 and had not been scored on. The OP repeated that stat. That’s it. No one ever tried to claim any other Bergeron lead line from start of season, when the top 9 were missing 6 starters, had not been scored on. The level of obtuseness being shown is incredible.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nobody claimed otherwise. The NHL pointed out that they were the only line to have played a minimum of 200+ minutes together 5v5 and had not been scored on. The OP repeated that stat. That’s it. No one ever tried to claim any other Bergeron lead line from start of season, when the top 9 were missing 6 starters, had not been scored on. The level of obtuseness being shown is incredible.
Read how this conversation started. Someone posted that the Bergeron line hasnt been scored on 5 on 5. That isn't entirely true. The guy didnt mention that stat was with 2 specific wingers.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Read how this conversation started. Someone posted that the Bergeron line hasnt been scored on 5 on 5. That isn't entirely true. The guy didnt mention that stat was with 2 specific wingers.

When Edwards or Brickley mention " The Bergeron Line " on tv, everyone knows who they're talking about.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Pretty funny a guy like Bäckström is never mentioned in threads like these. He's an elite 2-way player, but is always forgotten. I have to agree Bergeron is probably the best though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pretty funny a guy like Bäckström is never mentioned in threads like these. He's an elite 2-way player, but is always forgotten. I have to agree Bergeron is probably the best though.

He's always mentioned in this context though and the easy rebuttal is what's he doing so well (to break into the Selke finalists)? He has excellent relative corsi numbers as well as GF% and XGF numbers especially relative to team, but he's not particularly good at faceoffs, and he's getting cushy, cushy zone starts compared to the other usual suspects. I always have him in and around my top-5, but he doesn't do anything to edge into the top 3 frequently enough, especially when it's hard to argue he's being used in a defensive role (though to be fair Bergeron really isn't this year either). Edit: also being barely deployed on the PK (46 sec a game, 5 WSH forwards w/more) and massively deployed on the PP. Makes sense because he's such a weapon, but in a Selke context, that stuff matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad