Who will win the Selke trophy?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm not saying Bergeron isn't amazing by himself, but the WOWY stats show him and Marchand are clear amplifiers of each other.

Bergeron without Marchand is 53.94%, Marchand without Bergeron is 52.98%. Together, they're an absurd 61.93% With both off, the Bruins are 50.31.

Historically, Marchand sees a greater drop-off than Bergeron when they are separated. Some of that is who they are down graded to playing with, of course. I don't think anyone would deny they are at their best together. On individual talent alone, there is no reason they both should be on Team Canada's #1 line... but they with Crosby is always clearly the best line. Just insane chemistry between the two.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Historically, Marchand sees a greater drop-off than Bergeron when they are separated. Some of that is who they are down graded to playing with, of course. I don't think anyone would deny they are at their best together. On individual talent alone, there is no reason they both should be on Team Canada's #1 line... but they with Crosby is always clearly the best line. Just insane chemistry between the two.

I totally agree and I'm glad the world got to see what a marvelous all-around (not just defensive) player Bergeron is by being put in that situation. Just pointing out he's not literally doing it all by himself.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Bergeron is the correct answer. Kopitar gettin so much love is a total joke, it's only because of his point total which has ZERO to do with the Selke. Bergeron has continued his dominance defensively, just watch the final minute of the game against NYI last week of you need proof.

Bergy is in a class of his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Future GOAT

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bergeron is the correct answer. Kopitar gettin so much love is a total joke, it's only because of his point total which has ZERO to do with the Selke. Bergeron has continued his dominance defensively, just watch the final minute of the game against NYI last week of you need proof.

Bergy is in a class of his own.

The question though is who "will" win, not who should win. Historically we've seen players who are usual Selke contenders like Kopitar get extra attention when they're putting up high point totals, and it seems that the narrative typically becomes that they're playing really well, both offensively and defensively, whether or not they're actually playing any better than usual defensively. Kesler's 40 goal season is always one of the best examples of this, but we also saw that to some degree with Kopitar's bounce-back year in '15, and he's started even stronger this year. I think this might have less influence in recent years as advanced stats have become more and more the norm, but I would still probably bet on Kopitar winning if voting was held today

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

They are played so little apart from each other every season as well, that it's hard to know how much of it is situational. It's one thing to play regular shifts with other players throughout the year, it's another to only be separated if say there's a specific offensive or defensive zone draw or other scenarios that aren't going to give you the full context of regulat 5v5 shifts.

Reactions: wintersej

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They are played so little apart from each other every season as well, that it's hard to know how much of it is situational. It's one thing to play regular shifts with other players throughout the year, it's another to only be separated if say there's a specific offensive or defensive zone draw or other scenarios that aren't going to give you the full context of regulat 5v5 shifts.

There are only three instances where Marchand and Bergeron are played apart from one another

1. One of the two are injured and have to miss shifts or games.

2. Incomplete line change. Example: Bergeron dumps the puck in and goes off for a change, but Marchand is the forechecker and the Bruins are able to keep the puck in the zone so Marchand stays out there. After 80+ games, those 10-15- 30 seconds a game where this happens adds up.

3. One of them is in the penalty box.

I'm fairly confident I've watched 99 percent of the games during the Bergeron/Marchand era and the only time I can remember where they were separated on purpose was when Julien tried to shake things up a bit and put Lucic next to Bergeron for a game. That experiment lasted about 2 periods; Lucic was in his prime but was so woefully out of place trying to compliment Bergeron's game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The definition for the Selke trophy winner has changed over the years. It used to be best defensive forward. Now it seems to be best 2way player.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Selke seems to be an award that is given to a player over time. You don't see too many second year pros win it, no matter how hard the media [cough, cough...Toronto] pushes for them.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Right now it's Kopitar by a pretty significant margin

Kopitar's deployment (49.2 offensive zone starts/50.8 percent defensive zone starts 5 v 5) and the fact he's probably LA's best penalty killer has him ahead of Bergeron (who strangely enough is seeing a 57/41 split in favor of offensive zone starts despite still being a monster in the defensive zone)

As long as Kopitar doesn't do his usual disappearing act like he seems to at the halfway point, it's his to lose.
You literally picked the only advanced stat that could be used in Kopitar's favor. Saying it's Kopitar "by a pretty significant margin" completely ignores all the Corsi stats that show Bergeron's having a better defensive season than Kopitar.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Right now there is no question it is Bergeron. He's having a heck of a season and the stats that matter for the Selke show that.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well... Bergeron is also the best defensive forward is he not? If not, who's better?
Berger on is can excellent defensive forward but I bet if he had no offensive upside to his game he wouldn't get mentioned. All of the frontrunners for the selke are 2way forwards.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Berger on is can excellent defensive forward but I bet if he had no offensive upside to his game he wouldn't get mentioned. All of the frontrunners for the selke are 2way forwards.

Okay, you're complaining but coming up with no examples to prove your point. Who is better than Bergeron defensively that you think should win the award if it was based just off of that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->