Who will win the Selke trophy?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
No love for Couturier? I guess the Flyers sucking works against him

Playing amazing.

But ya - how do you get into the conversation with players like Bergeron and Kopitar for the first time when the team is on the outside looking in? If Philly was a front-runner he'd get more notice.

Secondly though, I know people might not want him up there year after year, and I get that, but if we're all honest - if you got to pick one player to send out there protecting a one goal lead in the third period when the other team is sending Stamkos or Crosby or Kane or McDavid over the boards - most everyone would pick Bergeron.

Couturier and Barkov will be battling for the Selke soon enough but... Bergeron's still the class of the league in that regards.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Some updated stats from @AdamParrot
Yes, not easy.
Today:

Fenwick:
Bergeron - 57.2 (Oh, my...)
Couturier - 52.6
Kopitar - 51.9

Corsi:
Bergeron - 58.2
Couturier - 54.0
Kopitar - 52.0

GA:
LAK - 55
PHI - 56
BOS - 56

Faceoff:
Kopitar - 855 (54.1%)
Bergeron - 676 (57.1%)
Couturier - 468 (53.6%)

PK time:
Kopitar - 83:32
Couturier - 75:54
Bergeron - 59:15

Couturier - 36
Bergeron - 24 (7 games less)

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Those numbers for Bergeron are insane!
Without looking at any stats. My opinion based on watching all these guys play. I think Bergeron is the best best defensive forward. He is the smartest player on the ice every game. He rare!y makes mental mistakes.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Kopitar has to be the favourite at this point of the season.
Why is that ???....Do you realize that the Bergeron line has not been scored on 5v5 ALL YEAR........
Those numbers for Bergeron are insane!
Guys....NOBODY has scored even one goal vs the Bergeron line 5 v 5 the entire season.........BERGERON will clearly win it again hands down....He is playing Chess and everyone else is playing checkers....

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Corsi %
Bergeron: 59%
Barkov: 53%
Point: 52%
Matthews: 51%
Kopitar: 51%

CA/60
Bergeron: 48
Barkov: 51
Point: 55
Kopitar: 57
Matthews: 60

Goals Allowed/60
Bergeron: 1.15
Matthews: 1.39
Point: 1.76
Kopitar: 1.88
Barkov: 2.69

Expected Goals Allowed/60
Barkov: 2.1
Point: 2.13
Bergeron: 2.22
Kopitar: 2.46
Matthews: 2.65
I like point and Matthews being here!

and as these stats show, Bergeron is still a defensive wizard.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is
Why is that ???....Do you realize that the Bergeron line has not been scored on 5v5 ALL YEAR........

Guys....NOBODY has scored even one goal vs the Bergeron line 5 v 5 the entire season.........BERGERON will clearly win it again hands down....He is playing Chess and everyone else is playing checkers....
Is this correct? I thought it was the combination of Bergeron/Pasternak/Marchand hasn't been scored on.

Reactions: wintersej

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bergeron
Couturier
Kopitar

are probably the top three so far. Not sure I agree with Kopitar being there given what the award is for and how he has played this year... but I can imagine that is how the media see it.

Worth noting that Bergeron and Couturiers ExGA/60 are identical, and Couturier has a better ExGF%... while playing tougher minutes.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Is

Is this correct? I thought it was the combination of Bergeron/Pasternak/Marchand hasn't been scored on.
Read it again....I said the BERGERON LINE....And yes it is correct. Just shine up the trophy and Bergeron will pick it up after the season....He knows where to go.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's Bergeron. He does not need to play exceptionally to be the best. Just think back to last year; Koivu was all kinds of amazing and had the stats to back his position up. No dice against PB.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It looks like it's Bergeron's again. He's having an outstanding year and young players don't tend to win the Selke until they prove their play for a few years. In any event, Begeron deserves it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Read it again....I said the BERGERON LINE....And yes it is correct. Just shine up the trophy and Bergeron will pick it up after the season....He knows where to go.
Yup my bad read it fast. I agree that's unreal from bergy

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I love Barkov and Couturier and I think they probably get one of these each in their careers (probably a few for couturier) but it's Bergeron until he shows some sign that he's slowing down, which he hasn't yet.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I love Barkov and Couturier and I think they probably get one of these each in their careers (probably a few for couturier) but it's Bergeron until he shows some sign that he's slowing down, which he hasn't yet.

Yeh. I feel the Selke is a bit like boxing... in that it is not enough to come in vs a champion and simply have an even fight. (which is ~what Couturier is doing this year) You have to clearly beat them. Fair or not.

It does seem like Barkov and Couturier are the heirs apparent to the Selke battle.

Reactions: wintersej

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yup my bad read it fast. I agree that's unreal from bergy

No, you were right, @JP Nolan is wrong. Bergeron has 6 GA at 5v5 this year. That's outstanding. it IS the Bergeron-Pastrnak-Marchand superline that has 10 GF and ZERO GA this year.

No need to lie about Bergeron's dominance, so that post bugs me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad