Speculation: Who will replace Marc Bergevin (Mod warning post #269)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I know this is fantasy video game hockey, but in NHL 18 and the roster update from January, I mostly simmed a few seasons of the Habs. Missed the playoffs big this season (didn't intentionally tank, but traded Pleks) and the next 2. I won't get into the details, but I did intentionally tank and sold off 50% of the team. Now in the 2025-2026 season and going for cup #3 having won the last 2 straight.

What does this mean? Nothing since it's a video game though the point I am trying to make that it took a lot of work and tear-down to fix this mess. Whoever takes over better warn the fans like Toronto did as there is going to be some pain for a few seasons if they try to fix this.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
well if we have to rule out GMs speaking a specific language becaus because one was horrible, why not rule out GMs from specific regions because one fromt hat region was bad at the end of his tenure ?

I mean, if it's good for language, should be good for other areas.

might as well go stupid ALL the way :yo:

That is not even remotely what @WeThreeKings question was about. The question was pretty obviously about what value does being bilingual have to the GM position. Does it make up for bad management decisions.

I have no earthly idea how you morphed it into never hiring GMs who speak French.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The point is that no GM should be ruled out because of personal demographics.
it wasnt actually. the "lets try english" follow up comment made it obvious.

I mean, like no GM is speaking english in this league or something right ?

may be hard for you to believe, but some people do hate the french people, and the language thing is just an excuse to express their hate, you know...

it's OK to let it slide though since that's not the language used on this site, but reality is, if I was to make that kind of comments towards english language and people, I wouldnt last long in here.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That is not even remotely what @WeThreeKings question was about. The question was pretty obviously about what value does being bilingual have to the GM position. Does it make up for bad management decisions.

I have no earthly idea how you morphed it into never hiring GMs who speak French.
It was clear as day, you chosing not to see it doesnt change a thing.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
it wasnt actually. the "lets try english" follow up comment made it obvious.

I mean, like no GM is speaking english in this league or something right ?

may be hard for you to believe, but some people do hate the french people, and the language thing is just an excuse to express their hate, you know...

it's OK to let it slide though since that's not the language used on this site, but reality is, if I was to make that kind of comments towards english language and people, I wouldnt last long in here.

Totally agree.

And just for fun...what if TO hired a unilingual chinese speaking coach? I mean, what can you say against it? We checked EVERYWHERE and he was the best candidate...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just like with Roy, running a Junior team is not really transferable to running an NHL team.

You can go after a former GM or give the Job to a guy like Roy or Hunter who are unproven but have proven to run good junior organizations.

I’d take my chances with Roy. Give him a shot at bringing the cup back to Montreal. Hire an experienced GM who has mutual respect with Roy to be the president

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
You can go after a former GM or give the Job to a guy like Roy or Hunter who are unproven but have proven to run good junior organizations.

I’d take my chances with Roy. Give him a shot at bringing the cup back to Montreal. Hire an experienced GM who has mutual respect with Roy to be the president

I wouldn't take my chances with Roy. Look at how quickly things turned to shit in Colorado despite his initial success. We don't see what goes on behind the scenes, but he seems too hard-headed and hot-headed to succeed as a GM. He'll make more enemies than friends, and someone will tell me his job isn't to be popular it's to succeed, well who wants to deal with a GM they don't at the very least get along with.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
keep quoting, you're missing some.

What am I missing here?

is it this:

This may be the single best question asked on this board since I started posting here.

or this:

Ts une of the dumbest or the last décade actually, liké the tenure of one Guy justify going one way or ajouter on language.

Given gaiiney last Season as GM Habs should obviously stat away from ontario native candidates...

You know

or this:

I'm not sure what any of this means.

or this:

No more ontario natives as Habs GM, sounds good no?

It was at that point that I interjected. So please, in the interest of having a real, respectful conversation, where is the position that there should be no more french speaking GMs?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What am I missing here?

is it this:

or this:

or this:

or this:

It was at that point that I interjected. So please, in the interest of having a real, respectful conversation, where is the position that there should be no more french speaking GMs?

if you want real and respectful conversation, start by remembering I never suggested that's what she/he said.

Thanks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't take my chances with Roy. Look at how quickly things turned to **** in Colorado despite his initial success. We don't see what goes on behind the scenes, but he seems too hard-headed and hot-headed to succeed as a GM. He'll make more enemies than friends, and someone will tell me his job isn't to be popular it's to succeed, well who wants to deal with a GM they don't at the very least get along with.

The issue with Roy was a power struggle.. he is use to being Owner/GM/Coach. Giving him the assistant GM title on top of coach was the mistake with the Avs. He wanted Radulov and Sakic didn’t

I’ll take my chances with him as GM. Let him run a team with his vision and connections in the industry. Most important part is hiring a President who has mutual respect with Roy that can mentor him. Savard comes to mind

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
if you want real and respectful conversation, start by remembering I never suggested that's what she/he said.

Thanks

Then I really don't understand what your point was here:

Ts une of the dumbest or the last décade actually, liké the tenure of one Guy justify going one way or ajouter on language.

Given gaiiney last Season as GM Habs should obviously stat away from ontario native candidates...

You know

or here:

No more ontario natives as Habs GM, sounds good no?

If you weren't comparing Place of Birth to languages spoken, what was your point?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I can tell it's a big deal for you, but I think most sports fans want their favorite teams to just win games.

I don't care what language my coach, gm, or owner speaks as long as they win games. Do you feel the same?
of course you don't, the chances a NHL gm or coach doesnt speak your language are nil.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Président: Patrick Roy

GM: Julien Brisebois
Assistant GM: Derek Clancey (PIT), Martin Madden JR (ANA), Darcy Regier

Conseiller senior aux opérations hockey: Larry Robinson (STL)
Conseiller spécial: Guy Lapointe (MIN)

Head Coach: Claude Julien
Assistant: Kirk Muller, Chris Chelios (DET), Stéphane Waite, Jim Hulton (CHA)

AHL staff
AHL GM: Martin Mondou (SHA)
Head Coach: Dominique Ducharme (DRU)
Assistant: Jean-Francois Houle (EDM AHL) , Danny Groulx , David Marcoux (CAR)

Directeur Scouting Amateur: Darryl Plandowski (TB)
Head Scout: Trent Mann (OTT)

Directeur CHL Scout: Raphael Pouliot (VGK)
Directeur Euro scout : Lucas Bergman (NAS)
Directeur USA Scout : Bob Motzko (STS)

LHJMQ Scout: Jérôme Mésonéro (COL), Michel Boucher (TB), Christian Vermette (QUE)
WHL Scout: Dale McMullin (REG), Mark Romas (SEA)
OHL Scout: Brian Teakle (WIN), Dave Brown (ERIE)
Canadien College: Steven Cocker (PEN, BCHL)
USA Scout: Robert Pulford (ARI), Shane Fukushima (WAT,USHL), Pat Westrum
Euro Scout: Frederik Sjostrom (FRO), Saku Koivu, Martin Rucinsky (CZE), Nikolai Vakurov (DET), Jakob Kolliker

Directeur développement des joueurs: Ray Whitney (CAR)
Développement coach: Daniel Brière, Francis Bouillon, Vincent Riendeau

Directeur du recrutement professionnel: Sean Burke
Scouts des jeunes espoirs: Alexandre Rouleau (CHI)

Pro Scout: Michel Goulet, Martin Madden, Jason Koehler, Scott Masters, Lorne Henning, Mathieu Darche, André Savard, Jon Christiano, Mike Brown, Ethan Moreau, Lucien DeBlois, Brian Skrugland

Reactions: Price is Wright

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad