Speculation: Who will replace Marc Bergevin (Mod warning post #269)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The best candidate is Dean Lombardi. Not only is he a proven, recent Cup winning GM, but he may be more open to jumping ship than BriseBois or Fenton, both of whom are higher up the chain on better teams. Lombardi has proven his ability to make big moves, shake up the status quo, and build a winner.

While it's nice to project our hopes and dreams onto an untested Assistant GM, there is simply no comparison to someone who has actual on-the-job experience. I'm sick of hiring people based on wishful thinking.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

I see that public protest and the reaction as a huge turning point: The QC Media instigated those protests which played the language card, many in the crowd were not serious Habs fans, but they represented a big nationalist element in the province that could snowball into a thing and a threat to Molson's high-profile and vulnerable family business no? I think when Molson actually publicly apologized to the mob and threw Cunneyworth under the bus, that was the day RDS and JdM realized the power they wielded. The hires were by policy ethnically restricted after that, many came from the RDS pool or with their approval. Now just look at the team the rubes have built.

I hope a groundswell from serious fans will force the QC media to bitterly divide themselves on Bergevin. Then maybe Molson can boot him and a respected outsider comes in this summer with a mandate to clean house (Lefebvre first). Then it's a few years of Bergy hangover to deal with unfortunately he's done a remarkable job of not only scuttling a promising team's contention years but investing in longterm failure lol.

So yeah team's been f***ed over but we all knew that.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The best candidate is Dean Lombardi. Not only is he a proven, recent Cup winning GM, but he may be more open to jumping ship than BriseBois or Fenton, both of whom are higher up the chain on better teams. Lombardi has proven his ability to make big moves, shake up the status quo, and build a winner.

While it's nice to project our hopes and dreams onto an untested Assistant GM, there is simply no comparison to someone who has actual on-the-job experience. I'm sick of hiring people based on wishful thinking.

He's got my vote

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I see that public protest and the reaction as a huge turning point: The QC Media instigated those protests which played the language card, many in the crowd were not serious Habs fans, but they represented a big nationalist element in the province that could snowball into a thing and a threat to Molson's high-profile and vulnerable family business no? I think when Molson actually publicly apologized to the mob and threw Cunneyworth under the bus, that was the day RDS and JdM realized the power they wielded. The hires were by policy ethnically restricted after that, many came from the RDS pool or with their approval. Now just look at the team the rubes have built.

I hope a groundswell from serious fans will force the QC media to bitterly divide themselves on Bergevin. Then maybe Molson can boot him and a respected outsider comes in this summer with a mandate to clean house (Lefebvre first). Then it's a few years of Bergy hangover to deal with unfortunately he's done a remarkable job of not only scuttling a promising team's contention years but investing in longterm failure lol.

So yeah team's been ****ed over but we all knew that.

Not to mention this fabulous non sense by the governing government at the time

Reactions: JLP

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Has there ever been an awful GM who's improved ?

I honestly can't think of one.

I've seen good GMs become awful, but the opposite ?

Makes me real scared at MB overseeing the rebuild.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

The three that you mentioned should all be interviewed for the role, IMO. Lombardi, who won a cup in his 6th and 8th years as LA’s GM, would be a great choice.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Excellent post.Agreed with everything.I'm all for Dean Lombardi, big fan of his.

Otherwise, I am still available (incomprehensibly).

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
I'd fire you on the spot, during the PC, in front of tv if you were to tell my customers to **** off (about anything).

(cause yeah! fans are also customers)

There are certain Habs fans I wish would change teams. At some point the owner has to grow a pair and go full rebuild and if some fans have a problem then screw them. They'll come running back when the team is winning Cups. Have no use for fairweather fans who put politics ahead of winning. Sorry.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This guy over Bergevin, without hesitation.

Qs3vxSD.jpg

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

Excellent post, and I agree he would be a welcome edition.

As you mentioned, BriseBois & Fenton would be my 1A & 1B, but Lombardi would be right in the mix in my books as well.

My biggest fear is they promote from within (and maintain the culture) or recycle someone from the past who doesnt deserve the chance.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Excellent post, and I agree he would be a welcome edition.

As you mentioned, BriseBois & Fenton would be my 1A & 1B, but Lombardi would be right in the mix in my books as well.

My biggest fear is they promote from within (and maintain the culture) or recycle someone from the past who doesnt deserve the chance.
I'd consider Mark Hunter as well. I really like his pedigree in player development.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There are certain Habs fans I wish would change teams. At some point the owner has to grow a pair and go full rebuild and if some fans have a problem then screw them. They'll come running back when the team is winning Cups. Have no use for fairweather fans who put politics ahead of winning. Sorry.
sure you do, but you didnt pay millions to buy the team.

you mean customers, people who spend dollars in a product, some of them spending A LOT of $ even. Considering everyone, every single "fan" does (maybe not the same, but politics no less). you'd have a use for them

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It scares me to say it but I'd take Roy. At least he is passionate, hates losing, and would get rid of all the soft lazy guys who are not willing to compete each night. I must admit it would be a gong show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad