Speculation: Who will replace Marc Bergevin (Mod warning post #269)

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
of course you don't, the chances a NHL gm or coach doesnt speak your language are nil.
As a French canadian from New Brunswick, I can understand why you would limit your selection of potential GMs to only bilingual ir french candidates. Pride and tradition are obviously high on your list of qualities for a GM. That being said, bilingualism is just about at the very bottom of most fans priorities. Just know you are in the minority even if we only include French fans.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
A couple of quotes that are informing what I want in a new GM:

Serge Savard
“I’ve been saying that about Subban,” Savard said when Nilan asked him about managing people. “When you see a coach (Michel Therrien) that blasts his players in the newspapers, that’s not the way it works in this game. If Chris Nilan did anything wrong with me, I would call Chris Nilan, have a coffee with me. I didn’t do that very often, but I did it once in a while. What really helped me as a manager is I was always a player and I put myself into the skates of the players. I was a player and it really, really helped me and I defended my players. If I would have blasted you or my best players in the papers, you think he would work for me?”
Savard recalled a time early in the 1987-88 season when he was frustrated with the play of a young Stéphane Richer, who wasn’t scoring and, worse, wasn’t getting involved in the play. Savard went to assistant GM Jacques Lemaire and said: “What are we going to do with this guy?”
“Jacques says: ‘Serge, leave it to me. I know the guy, I know what he can give me. Let’s leave him alone. Tomorrow, he’ll probably score three for me,’ ” Savard recalled. “I said OK. But that’s the way he handled Stéphane Richer, and Stéphane Richer at the end of the year he scored 50 goals. But we didn’t start to whip him and put his name in the paper saying we’re not happy. I did the opposite. I called Stéphane Richer in my office and I had a coffee and I poured only the positive things about him and we had a player.”
Source: Montreal Gazette

Brad Treiliving & Glen Gulutzan
“Do I think young players that are centremen like Sam, are they more effective at wing early on in the NHL? Yeah, I do, if you can get a good veteran presence with them,” said Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan. “But if you put them in the right spot, they can develop their skill-set at centre, too. So it’s a little bit of a balancing act with a young player.
“It’s a lot harder to develop a winger and then say, ‘Oh, by the way, we need you to play 40 games at centre.’ It’s like the pickle and the cucumber, right? You can turn a cucumber into a pickle, but once you’ve got a pickle, you can’t make it into a cucumber.
“Right now, he’s finding his way. If we have to put him on the wing at some time, we would, but we’re trying to develop him. He’s going to be a good two-way centre. He is already. He’s been able to hold his own both ways, so I’d rather be able to move a centre to wing at some point than try to make him a winger and then move him back to the centre position.”
Of course, you don’t want to spoil the cucumber either.
“It’s all about slotting,” Gulutzan said. “If you slot him up into the first-line hole and say, ‘Ok, you’ve got Joe Thornton tonight, you’ve got (Ryan) Getzlaf tomorrow, you’ve got (Anze) Kopitar the next night and then you’re going to come back against (Jonathan) Toews,’ well there could be some regression there because he’s a young guy playing against established, top-of-their-class players.
“But if you slot him in the right place, you can develop in the right areas so that eventually — and I believe this — he’ll be able to play against top guys night in and night out. But there are not too many 20-year-olds yet that can.”
Truth is, not many 20-year-olds are playing centre, period, in the NHL, although there is a kid in Edmonton — the guy who wears No. 97 on his sweater and is currently tied for tops in the league-wide scoring race — making it look way too easy.
“You can go back in history and study how difficult it is for guys to come in at young ages and have a whole lot of success right off the bat. It’s a short list,” Treliving said. “So we’re being real patient with (Bennett). We think the world of him. And he’s shown it at times over the course of the last couple of years — he gives you a glimpse of what he can be.
“But he’s a young man playing in a hard league and at a difficult position. So I think we all have to take a deep breath here. You have to invest in it. It’s not going to happen just because you hope it happens. There has to be a period of investment. There has to be a period of patience.
“We want to them to be 26 years old and perfect right away. That’s not how it works.”
Source: Calgary Herald

I want our next GM to handle player development a whole lot better. They should be building players up. Not hitting them over the head with video sessions, blasting them in the papers, embarrassing them. Sit them, bench them. Young players have to develop and teams have to win. But you don't bury your players and these guys just can't help themselves.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Serge Savard

I want our next GM to handle player development a whole lot better. They should be building players up. Not hitting them over the head with video sessions, blasting them in the papers, embarrassing them. Sit them, bench them. Young players have to develop and teams have to win. But you don't bury your players and these guys just can't help themselves.
The HR component in dealing with today's athletes, are huge...with clowns like Therrien and Bergevin, it's pretty easy to see how our kids don't develop, but regress. CJ seems to have a better handle on this, but the damage has been done...

The excuses sign came down, and the circus sign went up...want loyalty? Get a dog...

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
it wasnt actually. the "lets try english" follow up comment made it obvious.

I mean, like no GM is speaking english in this league or something right ?

may be hard for you to believe, but some people do hate the french people, and the language thing is just an excuse to express their hate, you know...

it's OK to let it slide though since that's not the language used on this site, but reality is, if I was to make that kind of comments towards english language and people, I wouldnt last long in here.
There are idiots and insults on both sides. If any of it shows up on this site, report it. The only reason actual hate will ever appear is if nobody lets us know it's there.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

may be hard for you to believe, but some people do hate the french people, and the language thing is just an excuse to express their hate, you know...

it's OK to let it slide though since that's not the language used on this site, but reality is, if I was to make that kind of comments towards english language and people, I wouldnt last long in here.

I highly doubt there's more than a molecule of "hate of French people" among genuine fans of this team.

Most of our greatest heroes were French and they're beloved by all.

I'm not going to get into the politics because it's bad idea, but this team should be more concerned about its 25 years of mostly failure on the ice than picayune squabblings about peripheral matters.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You seem to speak English pretty well. But if you insist on a Francophile, then it's you who has the language barrier, not others.

Like I said, winning is more important for some than others.
well, considering I speak 3 on a daily basis, and french isnt my mother tongue, I think my barriers are fine where they are.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Instead of arguing about what language the GM speaks why not hire a deaf/mute GM? He can use sign language and everyone will be happy.
Is sign language universal? I have never thought about it.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Need a fresh new mind. A guy open to new ideas and can think outside the box. A guy that will go to war for every player, not just a few.

Bergevin and MT are dinosaurs. They are also classless and petty. Arrogant and stubborn. New blood for GM. CH also needs to figure out what they want. A team that wants to win cups no matter wat is involved or a team that wants to make money and win games in their terms.

So tank, full rebuild, throw politics in the garbage and tell any fan or media that has a problem with to go bugger off.

Also hire a team president.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Totally agree.

And just for fun...what if TO hired a unilingual chinese speaking coach? I mean, what can you say against it? We checked EVERYWHERE and he was the best candidate...
I don't want to delve too deeply into a prickly language debate but can people please please please stop using this terrible argument?

What is the primary job of an NHL coach? Coaches work with the players in practices and games. Since none of the players speak Chinese, this unilingual coach would fail at the primary item on his J.D.

Not the same argument in any way shape or form, unless you believe that giving soundbites to RDS is in fact the primary job of the GM and coach.

Besides, we have a GM who sort-of speaks both official languages and his pressers are a) very few and far between and b) typically so bad he might as well conduct them in Chinese for all the good he does.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Serge Savard

Instead we had 4 years of a clown who threw Subban & Eller under the bus at every turn.

Un autre jeux inviduallisssss

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

You are projecting.
Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Instead of arguing about what language the GM speaks why not hire a deaf/mute GM? He can use sign language and everyone will be happy.

Is sign language universal? I have never thought about it.

I know the idea was thrown in jest, but to answer the question seriously, sign language isn’t universal. I know some American Sign Language for personal reasons but a colleague at work from London doesn’t really understand me.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You are projecting.
Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.
wrong, there is no projection at all here. people who hate the french do exist, just like people who do hate the blokes exist.

You are naive if you think otherwise, wich you probably do as you felt the need to throw some googled ideas my way.

by the way, I don't need definition, if you ever mention something I don't know about, I'll google it myself, I'm not as dumb as I look.

thank you.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Need a fresh new mind. A guy open to new ideas and can think outside the box. A guy that will go to war for every player, not just a few.

Bergevin and MT are dinosaurs. They are also classless and petty. Arrogant and stubborn. New blood for GM. CH also needs to figure out what they want. A team that wants to win cups no matter wat is involved or a team that wants to make money and win games in their terms.

So tank, full rebuild, throw politics in the garbage and tell any fan or media that has a problem with to go bugger off.

Also hire a team president.
I'd fire you on the spot, during the PC, in front of tv if you were to tell my customers to f*** off (about anything).

(cause yeah! fans are also customers)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'd fire you on the spot, during the PC, in front of tv if you were to tell my customers to **** off (about anything).

(cause yeah! fans are also customers)

GM's have told fans to screw off countless times. Especially when they boo their own players.

Of course they wouldn't just say bugger off on TV. It would be more, "This is the direction the team is going into in order to one day bring a Stanley Cup back to Montreal. We require patience. We will not change course on this direction regardless of public opinion."

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
GM's have told fans to screw off countless times. Especially when they boo their own players.

Of course they wouldn't just say bugger off on TV. It would be more, "This is the direction the team is going into in order to one day bring a Stanley Cup back to Montreal. We require patience. We will not change course on this direction regardless of public opinion."
a few dozen at most, wouldnt act that way if it was a few thousands. see reaction from Molson about the Connie fiasco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->