GDT: NHL 2024 Draft Lottery: Tuesday, May 7th, 6:30 pm | ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, Fubo (live stream with free trial) (Habs pick 5th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
MOD edit: Teams can move up maximum of 10 spots. It's a count down of all 16 teams that missed playoffs.

Current Draft Order:

16. St. Louis Blues
15. Detroit Red Wings
14. Pittsburgh Penguins (SJS own this pick due to Karlsson trade)
13. Minnesota Wild
12. Philadelphia Flyers
11. Buffalo Sabres
10. New Jersey Devils
9. Calgary Flames
8. Seattle Kraken
7. Ottawa Senators
6. Utah Hockey Club
5. Montreal Canadiens
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Anaheim Ducks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
1. San Jose Sharks

Just excited about the Celebrini sweepstakes. T-minus 3 days until we find out!

I have this horrible gut feeling Chicago or Utah wins 1st Ov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The lottery is not rigged.

That's just not how it goes.
It is doubtful but there is no guarantee. Owners will do anything that makes them money. Now if there are many people involved in the process it would be impossible to fix.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
We could win 2nd overall. That would be maximum drama.
It would be cruching, similar to when we won 3rd overall when Dahlin and Svechnilov were obvious 1 and 2…

At least KK isn’t anyone available at 2, I hope

Reactions: vokiel

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Would it? I think everyone would agree that we would gladly take Demidov.
They haven't been following consensus picks in the last 2 drafts. They could just go with whoever and say it's our best guy. Maximum drama! :laugh:

Wouldn't be any drama picking 1st OA, or very little at 7th..

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
So Calgary will receive Florida’s first round pick in 2025 because Philly is going to take Florida’s first this year.

meaning now there is only 3 possible outcome

If Calgary is top 10 and Florida is not: we get Florida’s pick 11-32

If both Calgary and Florida aren’t top 10: we get the better of the pick

Finally if both Calgary and Florida pick are top 10, we get Calgary pick unless it’s the 1st overall pick then we get Florida’s pick.

I don’t think Florida will be bottom 10 team. Most likely we will get pick from 11-32.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
My Celebrini rankings of the teams with a chance to get him, from yes to PLEASE NO:

1. Montreal
2. San Jose
3. Calgary
4. Seattle
5. Utah
6. Anaheim
7. Columbus
8. New Jersey
9. Chicago
10. Buffalo
11. Ottawa

Not possible as only two teams can win lottery. Calgary can’t have the 3rd pick.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
If Montreal doesn't win the lottery, I want the Bluejackets to win it. I feel they are taking a forward in the draft. If they win the Habs have a better forward options at 5.
So they could see Celebrini walking out of the team in a few years down the road? Columbus ia doomed franchise with great fanbase but they just can't keep their players. It's insane and sad

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
We’re going to need tips from @HabbyGuy — his relationship seems to be going strong even if he’s been spending months fantasizing about Celebrini.

Creeping up on 42 years man, talk about winning the lottery. Who would have imagined meeting the girl of my dreams in high school. <3

I'm a little sad though I'm going to miss game 7 tonight, should be a good one! Going out for a birthday "Celebrini" with friends and family. Go B's! :)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I get burned everytime I daydream about lottery wins. lol.
Didn't work for Bedard.
But if we got Celebrini and he was able to join his buddy Lane, I'd say we're close to becoming a playoff team and eventually a lot more

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I get burned everytime I daydream about lottery wins. lol.
Didn't work for Bedard.
But if we got Celebrini and he was able to join his buddy Lane, I'd say we're close to becoming a playoff team and eventually a lot more
Wed still be lacking at least another solid top 6 player. Whether thats acquired via the draft (by moving up into the teens) or trading for a Perfetti/Zegras type of player, that I dont know

Reactions: HuGo Sham

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'll stick to my prediction of what I said just before the season ended while we were waiting to see if Arizona/Utah would win or lose and if the Habs were finishing 5th or 6th worse.

I said then that the team finishing 6th last would be moving up and I'll stick to it. Hoping I'm wrong though and the team in 5th last is the team moving up and preferably to 1st OA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Missing Bedard last year was a kick in the nuts, it reminded me of when we got the 3rd OA in 2018, so close there as I hope they wouldn't have taken KK 1st or 2nd OA. Getting Celebrini would be epic after watching how much chemistry he has with Hutson but even 2nd OA would be outstanding as I think they would take Demidov. If they could land either it would do wonders for the future PP hopes and give the rebuild a huge boost.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I know Stamkos made mucho pesos and I know Montreal is falling apart but can Stamkos afford MTL and if he can why would he want it?

Joking aside, I wouldn't do it.
If our top 6 consist of:

Slaf-Suzuki-Stamkos
Celebrini-Dach-Caufield

My friend, we are making noise!!!

Reactions: Runner77

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2 of the last 3 years 1st OA won the lottery and 4 of the last 8 years 1st OA has won.

From '95 to '16 it was just 1 lottery winner a year, 6 times out of 21 1st OA won the lottery.

So 10 of out the last 28 years (1 year there wasn't a draft order, '05) 1st OA stays with the worst team.

From 2016 to 2020 those 5 drafts had 3 lottery picks, and from 2021 to now it's 2 lottery picks. So since 2016 there have been 21 lottery winners but only 5 of them were retaining their spot. That's 24% of the time

Of those 21 winners,

1st OA won - (5) 4 times 1st, OA, 1 time 2nd OA
2nd OA won - (0)
3rd OA won - (4)
2 times 1st OA, 1 time 2nd OA, 1 time 3rd OA
4th OA won - (3) 1 time 2nd OA, 2 times 3rd OA
5th OA won - (2) 1 time 1st OA, 1 time 2nd OA
6th OA won - (2) 2 times 2nd OA
7th OA won - (0)
8th OA won - (2)
1 time 1st OA, 1 time 3rd OA
9th OA won - (0)
10th OA won - (0)

11th OA won - 1 time 2nd OA
12th OA won - 1 time 3rd OA
13th OA won - 1 time 2nd OA

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If our top 6 consist of:

Slaf-Suzuki-Stamkos
Celebrini-Dach-Caufield

My friend, we are making noise!!!
I don't want to make noise. I want to win.

The Stammer is 34 years old. How much term are you going to give him? Two, three maybe four years? What if he asks for more?

Couple that with the fact that Dach has really not proven anything YET and may need a year or two to get to speed. Celebrini may also take a year or two to get going. It's not unreasonable to think that. It happened to our other 1 OA pick. Then there's our defence which needs time to mature. Say another year or two.

So you're wasting the first year or two of Stamkos' contract waiting for our youngsters to mature. Stamkos has had 5 seasons where he was out a substantial amount of time. Two of those seasons were in the last 5 years. What guarantees will we have that a 35 or 36 year old Stamkos can play a full season or play to the level that we are used to?

I'm not saying all the negatives I mentioned will come to pass but the odds are that many of those negatives will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad