Who will be the SJ Sharks Head Coach for 2015-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
To be fair, some of these horrible goaltending situations and shootout ineptitude, was in fact partly on him.

He couldn't pick a shootout lineup to save his life. We actually went 3-1 this year in shootouts after he left. Mostly because Jacob Josefson had become a pretty good shootout player for us. He was barely used under DeBoer and even a healthy scratch a lot of the time.

DeBoer constantly used the usual suspects, who constantly bombed and repeatedly sucked in the shootout. The only time he got creative since Parise and Kovalchuk left, was one of his last shootouts before he was fired. He used a couple defensemen and started using Scott Gomez. We still lost that shootout, but at least he TRIED something new. But because it didn't work, he went back to using Adam Henrique (a career one for TWELVE in shootouts) and the same guys who couldn't score on an empty net in a shootout. Kept using Jagr and Michael Ryder, Travis Zajac too. These four had one shootout goal in two seasons between the 4 of them.

And his goaltending sunk the team? This is partially on him as well. Brodeur gets injured in February of the 2013 lockout season and misses a month. DeBoer started Johan Hedberg EVERY game during this stretch, despite him stinking up the joint and giving up multiple BAD goals per game sometimes. He pulled Hedberg one game and used Keith Kinkaid the rest of that game. Kinkaid had never played an NHL game before, though he played well in relief of that game. Then Dumbeor goes back to Hedberg again. Should have went with Kinkaid to try and change something, but usual stubborn ass Dumbeor doesn't know how to make adjustments.

Then in 13-14 we get Schneider. He splits the first 8 games of the season between the two. After Brodeur starts off that season with 3 or 4 HORRIFICALLY BAD games, he finally lets Schneider run with it. Then Schneider gets injured and he goes back to Brodeur. Brodeur actually played very good for about a month there, it was his last hot streak of good play in his career. Then Schneider steals a game against LAK by making 35 saves on 36 shots or something, with like 5-10 breakaway/odd man rush saves. So he goes back to Brodeur in a game against the Sharks. Fair enough, Brodeur was still playing good. We lose that game 2-1, Brodeur played very good in this game, not his fault we lost. This was the game that Burns shot hit him in the back of the head late in the game and he laid on the ice for a minute. That was pretty much the end of Marty, as he never played more than 2 or 3 good games in a row after this.

But instead of rewarding Schneider for his game in LA, he goes back to Brodeur 2 nights later after a cross country flight. Brodeur said he ''Wanted'' this game. Brodeur only allows 2 goals, but the game winner was a BAD softy. Schneider still doesn't play the next game and he once again goes back to Brodeur. We were sunk in this game due to at least 2 bad softies and Schneider said he was surprised that morning that he wasn't starting. So after this, Schneider finally gets back in.

DeBoer still leaned on Brodeur too much, until Schneider appeared to take the job after new years. Then after the Olympic break, he caves to Brodeur and starts playing him more again because of his public voicing of displeasure over not playing. And then Schneider's play takes a serious hit. Brodeur was played more after this, even after Schneider won a few games and Brodeur lost some. Brodeur wasn't playing as bad as Schneider for this stretch, he was just playing mediocrely. Not great either. Then DeBoer with the season on the line, decides to play Brodeur against Phoenix. He only allowed 2 goals, but the first goal was terrible and he looked like he literally fell asleep on it. We lost in a shootout. DeBoer said he played Brodeur because he was ''Rested'' down the stretch.:laugh:

Then after Brodeur gives up 3 on 8 to Florida, he's yanked for Schneider and we win the game. Schneider stars every game until we're officially eliminated from playoff contention after that. So he finally went back to Schneider, but we were pretty much done and it was too late.

DeBoer didn't help the bad goaltending situation. He chose to play a bad Hedberg when Brodeur was injured, instead of taking a chance that one year.

He's the SLOWEST at making any kind of adjustments.

Long post I know, but I know first hand that this isn't the guy we want here.

Hey thanks for your insights.

Yeah, coaches who can't make adjustments aren't what this Shark team needs. TMac I felt was incredibly slow at making adjustments and then made horrendous adjustments that made little sense and never worked when he finally caved in.

Say what you guys will about Yawney, but as an assistant coach we got to the conference finals twice with him. Yawney is assistant coach for the Ducks right now, and where are they now? The conference finals? Can't be a coincidence.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Well isn't up to the players to execute said adjustments? Coaches can instruct all they want but the players have to hold up their end as well.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
To be fair, some of these horrible goaltending situations and shootout ineptitude, was in fact partly on him.

Long post I know, but I know first hand that this isn't the guy we want here.

I never said it wasn't. I've said it multiple times, I am not interested in him as a head coach, I was just pointing out that he does do some things well which is more than I can say for Carlyle or Oates and I wouldn't lump him into the same category as them.

Well isn't up to the players to execute said adjustments? Coaches can instruct all they want but the players have to hold up their end as well.

This is true.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
By that reasoning everyone who's job is to hire people should be fired since they all have one time or another interviewed people that aren't the best choices for the job.

Then explain why guys like Ron Wilson and Tortorella are not and very likely will never be hired as a head coach in the NHL again.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
This is another reason why DW should've gotten fired. No competent GM would even give Oates, Yawney, or Carlyle the time of day.

I'm not a big fan of those names, but I don't see the harm in talking to them/interviewing them. This gets mentioned a lot in football, but it's not uncommon to talk to a coach and gain insights/ideas on the current team. Maybe their insights and ideas aren't great, but there is no harm in at least talking to them.

With regards to a guy like Yawney, I know he was unsuccessful in Chicago and wasn't a fan favorite here, but this was about 5 years ago. Coaches change, coaches adapt, especially relatively young ones.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Well usually when a coach dismisses a report of their interest in a job as conjecture, it's quite the opposite. :laugh:

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
up-tempo and offensive are hardly words that I would have ever associated with Dave Lowry. :laugh:

Well, I have to confess. :laugh:

I don't know much about Dave Lowry.

Don't blame me, blame the journalists for using those words to describe him. :help: :laugh:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Yeah I just read about that too, would he be a good choice? He's the coach for Canada at the 2016 WJC so he must be although to be honest I've never heard of him.

http://www.thescore.com/news/769475

It's hard for me to say he'd be a good because he's still a bit raw as a head coach choice but of the confirmed & rumored names linked to SJ Lowry, Dineen & Bylsma would be at the top of my list.

He's done a good job in Victoria without a very strong roster.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Very true, but we don't really know. Was TMac giving the players great instructions, and they were just failing to execute? Or were the players just faithfully executing bad strategy? Is it a little of both?

There is a tendency among some to think that the players are these great players who are obviously just existing in a bad system. But I don't think that is the case. I can specifically point to players like Couture who play like chickens with their heads cut off in certain moments.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I still think Bylsma is the front-runner, but I would not be surprised if DW pulls an unforeseen head coach from an overseas league.

I am in the fire DW camp, and still fee that Hasso mistake was firing DW prior to TMac, as it digs him into a deeper hole. To me, it seems that DW has been going out and acquiring the best players he sees, ill regardless on how they fit.

Bps21*

They haven't even interviewed him yet. Which tells its own story about reports, leading candidates and who is doing what.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As of today...

NHL HC vacancies: San Jose, New Jersey, Buffalo.

Boston may still let Julien go. Tippet may leave Arizona.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
As of today...

NHL HC vacancies: San Jose, New Jersey, Buffalo.

Boston may still let Julien go. Tippet may leave Arizona.

It was smart of STL to hang onto Hitchcock. I'm thinking that Boston would probably be smart do the same with Julien

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I thought Bylsma already signed with Buffalo

Not yet, but with the way the press has been writing, it seems so. Here's an example with Greg Wyshynski's headline article:

Dan Bylsma’s seemingly inevitable marriage to the Buffalo Sabres

In that article, he writes about DW and the Sharks:

The Pittsburgh Penguins, still paying him after his firing last year, have granted permission for him to interview with the Buffalo Sabres, New Jersey Devils and the San Jose Sharks about their coaching gigs.

The Sharks are apparently interviewing anyone that’s ever had the word “coach†as a prefix to their name. Among the suspected San Jose candidates: Bylsma, former Devils coach Peter DeBoer, current Devils (tri-? co-?) coach Adam Oates, 2016 Canada world junior coach Dave Lowry, Boston University coach Dan Quinn, potentially Trent Yawney of the Ducks and Kevin Dineen of the Blackhawks, and potentially Randy Carlyle.

So that’s a rather crowded field.

You can read the full article here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/dan-bylsma-s-seemingly-inevitable-marriage-to-the-buffalo-sabres-125416091.html

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I still think Bylsma is the front-runner, but I would not be surprised if DW pulls an unforeseen head coach from an overseas league.

I am in the fire DW camp, and still fee that Hasso mistake was firing DW prior to TMac, as it digs him into a deeper hole. To me, it seems that DW has been going out and acquiring the best players he sees, ill regardless on how they fit.

I remember seeing a mention somewhere (may have been a comment on an article) about the coach of the team Joe Thornton played for in Switzerland. From the vague info I recall the guy seemed like an intriguing outsider.

On the other hand, I'm sure DW would have hired Kilrea already if he wasn't 80 or so. :)

EDIT: Here's who I was thinking of, Arno del Curto. Head coach of HC Davos. "The Best coach in Europe". http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=3339&cHash=393d3022e695312c0959c637a98a1b56

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad