Who will be the SJ Sharks Head Coach for 2015-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
The only thing good about DeBoer, is his fore-checking system.

(Call me a fool all you want ............ :p:
We all know that no one can win a cup with a roster like that. :help:)

There is no telling if his fore-checking would elevate us, but I am willing to take a gamble.

I think DeBoer still have what it takes to be an assistant coach.

I take it the bolded is sarcasm?

DeBoer's system is very good at shot suppression, his forechecking system isn't all that different from what McLellan used.

After a very successful first season in NJ that team was sunk by horrible goaltending and an complete inability to win in the shootout. This year that was just a straight up bad hockey team with a great goaltender.

Because of his history with young players I'd rather the Sharks not hire him but he's not in the same category as Carlyle & Oates as he's actually capable of implementing a winning system and getting his players to buy in and execute.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
This is from the a Babcock interview yesterday and this is the kind of stuff I really want to hear out of SJ whether it's from the new coach or the GM. It's kind of a long read but I love what he has to say:

On analytics:
I love it. What I love about it is I love information. What I’ve tried to do is surround myself with as many young, smarter people than me, more learned in that area than me, and they give you information. Sometimes, the information they give you, you don’t think it’s very good, but lots of times it’s great ideas. I hired a kid last year; I phoned out to the University of Michigan, I said I need a math guy, a real smart guy, just graduated, real good social skills, loves hockey. Can you find me that guy? Couple days later, it just so happened my kids knew who he was. We put him in our office next to our video coach, I said, “I don’t know what your job is, figure it out.†My point is pretty soon that guy was making a huge impact. He had found things that we could use, reoccurring situations in the game, that led to success. Staying on offense, or getting out of the defensive situation fast, it was a great little thing he gave me. The next thing you know he’s evaluating my pregame talks. I come in after and say, “what did I say?†He’d tell me. There’s a 24 year old kid making you better. There’s so many great ways to use information that’s great, you just have to make sure it makes sense; you can’t cloud your vision of what’s going on. That to me is what analytics is

There was also this from a year ago:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727093

And on what he's going to try to implement in Toronto:
It just changed over time, it changed every year. I had to get better, life long learning, embrace what’s new, find new ideas, try to be cutting edge. One of the things I’m most proud of in our run in Detroit in the last ten years since the salary cap – the only team to make the playoffs every year for ten years, we had a 106.4 points a year and I only know that because one of these teams I interviewed with showed me, we had 23 playoff rounds, the most at that time – what we did is we developed people. Steve Yzerman and Pat Verbeek in Tampa. Jimmy Nill is in Dallas. Todd McLellan is in Edmonton. Paul McLean was in Ottawa. Bill Peters in Carolina. Blashill is going to be the next coach for the Wings. I’m missing somebody in that process. These people came to Detroit and they got better and the players got better and we developed talent and we made better men. Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall packed me around on their backs for ten years. You need good players. In saying all that though, that’s what we’re going to do here but you do that by building something. I’m a school teacher, that’s what I am; we’re going to build something here that people and other franchises are going to be attracted to it and then they’re going to take our people. When other franchises start taking your people, you know you’re doing something good.

Those quotes are from this article/interview:
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/...eafs-an-attractive-destination-and-much-more/

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
This is from the a Babcock interview yesterday and this is the kind of stuff I really want to hear out of SJ whether it's from the new coach or the GM. It's kind of a long read but I love what he has to say:

On analytics:

There was also this from a year ago:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727093

And on what he's going to try to implement in Toronto:

Those quotes are from this article/interview:
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/...eafs-an-attractive-destination-and-much-more/

I don't know what your job is. Figure it out. Lolol

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
I really wonder if DW is just adding more people to interview just to stall long enough to see what the Bruins do with Claude Julien.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I really wonder if DW is just adding more people to interview just to stall long enough to see what the Bruins do with Claude Julien.

Or he simply doesn't like any of the candidates. Which is good imo, means he's not just picking the easy choice. He's trying to find someone good. He did a great job with finding Tmac, hopefully he can do it again.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

it's his process

rather than narrowing it down to a short list of people to interview, DW interviews (or probably at least phone interviews) everyone with even the smallest of chances of being an NHL head coach the next season… hell, 90% of the people he talks to he probably knows won't progress to anything serious, but that doesn't mean he rules out being pleasantly surprised by anyone

maybe not the most efficient process, but now that Babcock is out, DW has the time to do it

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think that Bylsma is on top of DW's list. If he was, I would have expected DW to get him signed during the Babcock mania. I just hope he does not have his mind set on someone from the teams currently playing because if that does not work out we will be kind of screwed.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I know people want news, but really isn't this just Doug doing his information gathering? As we should all hope he does?

Bad decisions are rarely made by having too much information rather than the opposite...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know people want news, but really isn't this just Doug doing his information gathering? As we should all hope he does?

Bad decisions are rarely made by having too much information rather than the opposite...

Sure if there weren't other teams that could potentially be fighting for those same people.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
That would be interesting if Yawney's plan worked after all.

“It was my choice,” Yawney said. “I want to be a head coach in the NHL and if I want to be a head coach, I was always told by people I respect that you’ve got to go coach in the American league. I’ve done that and it worked out for me so I felt it was probably in my best interest to go that route again.”

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
This is another reason why DW should've gotten fired. No competent GM would even give Oates, Yawney, or Carlyle the time of day.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I don't think that Bylsma is on top of DW's list. If he was, I would have expected DW to get him signed during the Babcock mania. I just hope he does not have his mind set on someone from the teams currently playing because if that does not work out we will be kind of screwed.

It's not like there's a ton of competition. Who else needs a coach now besides Buffalo?

Maybe Boston and St. Louis but they haven't yet taken the first step

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
This is another reason why DW should've gotten fired. No competent GM would even give Oates, Yawney, or Carlyle the time of day.

By that reasoning everyone who's job is to hire people should be fired since they all have one time or another interviewed people that aren't the best choices for the job.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I take it the bolded is sarcasm?

DeBoer's system is very good at shot suppression, his forechecking system isn't all that different from what McLellan used.

After a very successful first season in NJ that team was sunk by horrible goaltending and an complete inability to win in the shootout. This year that was just a straight up bad hockey team with a great goaltender.

Because of his history with young players I'd rather the Sharks not hire him but he's not in the same category as Carlyle & Oates as he's actually capable of implementing a winning system and getting his players to buy in and execute.

To be fair, some of these horrible goaltending situations and shootout ineptitude, was in fact partly on him.

He couldn't pick a shootout lineup to save his life. We actually went 3-1 this year in shootouts after he left. Mostly because Jacob Josefson had become a pretty good shootout player for us. He was barely used under DeBoer and even a healthy scratch a lot of the time.

DeBoer constantly used the usual suspects, who constantly bombed and repeatedly sucked in the shootout. The only time he got creative since Parise and Kovalchuk left, was one of his last shootouts before he was fired. He used a couple defensemen and started using Scott Gomez. We still lost that shootout, but at least he TRIED something new. But because it didn't work, he went back to using Adam Henrique (a career one for TWELVE in shootouts) and the same guys who couldn't score on an empty net in a shootout. Kept using Jagr and Michael Ryder, Travis Zajac too. These four had one shootout goal in two seasons between the 4 of them.

And his goaltending sunk the team? This is partially on him as well. Brodeur gets injured in February of the 2013 lockout season and misses a month. DeBoer started Johan Hedberg EVERY game during this stretch, despite him stinking up the joint and giving up multiple BAD goals per game sometimes. He pulled Hedberg one game and used Keith Kinkaid the rest of that game. Kinkaid had never played an NHL game before, though he played well in relief of that game. Then Dumbeor goes back to Hedberg again. Should have went with Kinkaid to try and change something, but usual stubborn ass Dumbeor doesn't know how to make adjustments.

Then in 13-14 we get Schneider. He splits the first 8 games of the season between the two. After Brodeur starts off that season with 3 or 4 HORRIFICALLY BAD games, he finally lets Schneider run with it. Then Schneider gets injured and he goes back to Brodeur. Brodeur actually played very good for about a month there, it was his last hot streak of good play in his career. Then Schneider steals a game against LAK by making 35 saves on 36 shots or something, with like 5-10 breakaway/odd man rush saves. So he goes back to Brodeur in a game against the Sharks. Fair enough, Brodeur was still playing good. We lose that game 2-1, Brodeur played very good in this game, not his fault we lost. This was the game that Burns shot hit him in the back of the head late in the game and he laid on the ice for a minute. That was pretty much the end of Marty, as he never played more than 2 or 3 good games in a row after this.

But instead of rewarding Schneider for his game in LA, he goes back to Brodeur 2 nights later after a cross country flight. Brodeur said he ''Wanted'' this game. Brodeur only allows 2 goals, but the game winner was a BAD softy. Schneider still doesn't play the next game and he once again goes back to Brodeur. We were sunk in this game due to at least 2 bad softies and Schneider said he was surprised that morning that he wasn't starting. So after this, Schneider finally gets back in.

DeBoer still leaned on Brodeur too much, until Schneider appeared to take the job after new years. Then after the Olympic break, he caves to Brodeur and starts playing him more again because of his public voicing of displeasure over not playing. And then Schneider's play takes a serious hit. Brodeur was played more after this, even after Schneider won a few games and Brodeur lost some. Brodeur wasn't playing as bad as Schneider for this stretch, he was just playing mediocrely. Not great either. Then DeBoer with the season on the line, decides to play Brodeur against Phoenix. He only allowed 2 goals, but the first goal was terrible and he looked like he literally fell asleep on it. We lost in a shootout. DeBoer said he played Brodeur because he was ''Rested'' down the stretch.:laugh:

Then after Brodeur gives up 3 on 8 to Florida, he's yanked for Schneider and we win the game. Schneider stars every game until we're officially eliminated from playoff contention after that. So he finally went back to Schneider, but we were pretty much done and it was too late.

DeBoer didn't help the bad goaltending situation. He chose to play a bad Hedberg when Brodeur was injured, instead of taking a chance that one year.

He's the SLOWEST at making any kind of adjustments.

Long post I know, but I know first hand that this isn't the guy we want here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad