Who should we get rid of and who should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Phoenix cited personal issues that led to Ribs being bought out. They said he is "seeking help" so I'm not sure what kind of issues those would be. No use speculating, but I wanted to pass along what I read elsewhere.

edit: I see NoNeck beat me to it.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Ribero has problems that Poile won't take any chances on and he shouldn't. I doubt any team signs him right now.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ah, another pre-UFA season with people making dire conclusions based on snippets of random comments by Poile.

Did he give any indication of the feeding frenzy of grinders signings last year? I seem to recall everyone pulling out their hair because his pre July comments made it sound like we would stand pat/ not try hard for any free agents , which is basically what all of the Poile bashers assume every summer.

This summer, Poile has money to spend and a mandate from the owners.

Not every player will turn down more money to avoid Nashville. There is only so much cash and cap space out there.

I will be shocked if we don't add a significant UFA and make at least one significant trade by mid july

so you'll be disappointed in Poile if he doesn't?

Yes. Very.

Significant trade.... check.

Now to see what the UFA market holds

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
What a day for us!!

Neal trade was great

Add Spezza or Stastny and I'll be tempted to purchase season tickets

I wouldn't mind Iggy for a year

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I'm so glad everyone got worked up in a tizzy about those Poile comments and automatically assumed he'd do nothing.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
@craigcustance

'Poile says Preds have the budget to add a center in free agency for Neal.'

Poile, make me a believer!

Teekko

Mar 5, 2011
Vancouver
Kristopher Martel ‏@ThePredatorial 2m
Poile bullish on getting a C, said "we're going to have some good center ice men or we're going to find someone that can play with [Neal]"

Added before that quote: "I get it that we don't have Malkin or Crosby."

Kristopher Martel ‏@ThePredatorial 57s
Poile when asked about the budget to get a big time center, maybe one from Colorado: "We will do whatever is necessary to be competitive"

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 38s
David Poile said now that the Preds have James Neal, their focus turns to acquiring a top-line C. He wants it sooner rather than later.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Poile bullish on getting a C, said "we're going to have some good center ice men or we're going to find someone that can play with [Neal]"

Poile when asked about the budget to get a big time center, maybe one from Colorado: "We will do whatever is necessary to be competitive"

The weird thing is that I actually believe Poile now. Neal is a bold move. Maybe the boldest he's made since Forsberg (the first one).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

:yo:

The center market sure is saturated right now so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get one. That said, the majority aren't in the upper tier. They're borderline 1's/2's but mostly 2/3's. Still, there's upgrades to be had.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
:yo:

The center market sure is saturated right now so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get one. That said, the majority aren't in the upper tier. They're borderline 1's/2's but mostly 2/3's. Still, there's upgrades to be had.

Let's use the Kesler deal as a benchmark:

Bonino+Sbisa+late 1st

Bonino is a promising but unproven young forward, Sbisa is a decent #4/5D that has pretty much topped off, and a late 1st is a late 1st.

IMO Wilson in the the area code of Bonino, Ellis is better than Sbisa, and we have plenty of things worth a late 1st.

Guys I'm looking at: E. Staal, Spezza (if he'll waive), Thornton (if he'll waive), Stastny (UFA), ROR, Skinner

Backup options: Roy (UFA), Sedin+Sedin (too expensive to acquire and old), Brad Richards (UFA), Mike Richards, Grabovski,

Worst case scenario: Ribiero, Lecavalier

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

Sounds like Stastny may get a BIG raise... in Nashville.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Gagner in EDM is my guess. I think stats has it too good in COL.

If only we could get spezza to come here, too bad we won't. Hemsky maybe though, good playmaking winger.

Basically we need to move Wilson for an upgrade.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Let's use the Kesler deal as a benchmark:

Bonino+Sbisa+late 1st

Bonino is a promising but unproven young forward, Sbisa is a decent #4/5D that has pretty much topped off, and a late 1st is a late 1st.

IMO Wilson in the the area code of Bonino, Ellis is better than Sbisa, and we have plenty of things worth a late 1st.

Ryan Ellis is not a better defenceman than Sbisa. 1)totally different games. Sbisa can eat up 20 mins a night and hold his own. Can actually defend. Ellis is the better puck mover, but I would take Sbisa on a team all day every day.

In lieu of the Kesler deal, with SPezza and Kesler being comparable other than contract length, I think instead of Ekholm and a 1st, I would offer Ekholm and a 2nd or Ellis and a 3rd this and a 2nd next year for him. The return on Spezza won't be as good as the Kesler one was.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Ryan Ellis is not a better defenceman than Sbisa. 1)totally different games. Sbisa can eat up 20 mins a night and hold his own. Can actually defend. Ellis is the better puck mover, but I would take Sbisa on a team all day every day.

What? No, not a chance. Sbisa looked like he could have been what Josi is, perhaps with a more physical edge, but he has no consistency to his game and is mentally fragile. He was primed for a top 4 spot on the blueline a couple years back and has since been passed by Fowler, Lovejoy, Lindholm, and Vatanen. Absolutely regressed and I would be surprised if he manages to stick long-term at this point. Ellis is absolutely better than him.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN

In lieu of the Kesler deal, with SPezza and Kesler being comparable other than contract length, I think instead of Ekholm and a 1st, I would offer Ekholm and a 2nd or Ellis and a 3rd this and a 2nd next year for him. The return on Spezza won't be as good as the Kesler one was.

If the return was Ellis + 3rd for Spezza the trade would have been completed already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad