Who should we get rid of and who should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Eklund says E. Staal is "definitely in play". Doesn't list us as a team involved, but interesting.

Anytime he says a #1C is OTB and doesn't list Toronto as a team interested (says Peg and Dallas), I actually listen. Not just for hits.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I mean, let's be honest, Eric Staal would be an amazing get even at a high-priced salary. If Poile pulled that off and somehow kept Josi/Weber/Jones, I would be floored.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why are people thinking Statsny wants to leave his fantastic situation in COL?

Easy.

"It looks like the Paul Stastny era in Denver will officially come to an end on July 1st. After initially stating that he would take a “home town discount†to stay with the Colorado Avalanche organization, TSN’s Pierre LeBrun is now reporting that, “What (teams contacting Stastny) are being told by (Stastny’s) agent Matt Keator, is that he’s not going backwards from his current salary, which was $6.6 million.â€

It’s highly unlikely that the Avs will meet those demands. They were hoping Stastny would accept a $6 million, if not less, deal as they didn’t want to pay him more than Matt Duchene, who just signed a 5-year deal that will pay him $6 million per season. As of yesterday, Stastny’s team will still give the Avs a chance to match any offer, but if the offer exceeds Stastny current $6.6 million deal, and it most likely will, don’t expect the Avs to match."

http://milehighsticking.com/2014/06/26/paul-stastny-wont-accept-paycut/

Teekko

Mar 5, 2011
Vancouver
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m
Sens GM Bryan Murray says he had a deal that made sense potentially with Nashville for Spezza but Spezza wouldn't waive to go there

damn :/

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Via Lebrun

Sens GM Bryan Murray says he had a deal that made sense potentially with Nashville for Spezza but Spezza wouldn't waive to go there.

Shame. I really felt he would have flourished here.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Via Lebrun

Sens GM Bryan Murray says he had a deal that made sense potentially with Nashville for Spezza but Spezza wouldn't waive to go there.

Shame. I really felt he would have flourished here.

Notice which GM is out in the media about this trade offer and which one remained quiet and just did his business. Based on Lebrun's report, Poile was not only active but made a significant enough offer to get Murray's interest. I suspect if this tidbit hadn't come out that we'd see the usual comments that Poile didn't even try for Spezza when in reality none of us knows what deals he tries (or doesn't try) to make since he tends to keep things quiet.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Dam you Spezza. Not sure what the deal was it had to be better then other teams were offering and he nixed the deal. At least Poile went after him and apparently had the best deal so got to give him credit. This is why the Neal trade happened before the 11th pick. Hoping it would convince Spezza to waive as I'm assuming we were going to give Ottawa our 1st.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Good to see DP going hard after Spezza but it probably means we are not in the running for Stastny. Hopefully I am wrong and we should find out soon.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Cellblock 303 tweeted this about the offer.

@cellblock303 said:
Poile confirms he's spoken w/ OTT about Jason Spezza. Also said "no" when asks if he's hopeful he'll change his mind due to the Neal trade.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
With the draft over, hopefully Poile isn't too busy anymore so he can focus on free agency ;)

We lost a depth player so there's now an extra hole to fill. Even a minor pickup like Lee Stempniak would be good for the middle six. Still obviously need a top line player.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I'm glad we're out of the spezza sweepstakes, I'm almost certain we'd have had to overpay for him and even if we were on his no trade list a year ago and he changed his mind now, that still doesn't bode well for him resigning here. Let someone else overpay for him instead.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
apparently MDZ is on the trade block now.

Source? I figured but haven't seen anything.

As for the Ottawa GM, I bet he is beyond mad. He probably got the best offer from us and the only real offer to think about. Spezza shot himself in the foot, can't believe he wouldn't want to come her seeing the direction we are heading

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Notice which GM is out in the media about this trade offer and which one remained quiet and just did his business. Based on Lebrun's report, Poile was not only active but made a significant enough offer to get Murray's interest. I suspect if this tidbit hadn't come out that we'd see the usual comments that Poile didn't even try for Spezza when in reality none of us knows what deals he tries (or doesn't try) to make since he tends to keep things quiet.

Murray has a tendency to do that. He likes to "talk".

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Source? I figured but haven't seen anything.

As for the Ottawa GM, I bet he is beyond mad. He probably got the best offer from us and the only real offer to think about. Spezza shot himself in the foot, can't believe he wouldn't want to come her seeing the direction we are heading

He's been in the same exact situation with Heatley unfortunately. That's the price you pay with handing out No Trade Clauses.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
i do not understand why Spezza would not want to come here. In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense.

Spezza is at a point where he wants a CUP before he retires and that is just a few years away. That is the big reason he wants out of the Sens.

To the poster earlier that was implying Spezza was the first choice and Stasny a back up plan thats just not believable. Im not sure Stasny comes here even is Poile offers the most money. As good as the last 24 hours have been realistically we still have only one Legit player on the top line.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hard to say. If its about the money and contract for Stastny then he may be willing to go about anywhere. If that last big contract is his main concern, it gives us a much better chance.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
If the top two things on Stastny's list are money and a chance to be a #1 center, then Nashville has a very real chance to land him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad