Who should we get rid of and who should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Now that the season is pretty much over and we are eliminated from any chance to get into the playoffs, who should we get rid of off this team and who should we go after/get for next year to improve this team?

I'll start. I would get rid of Victor Stalberg. Even though he has pickup up his play lately he still has trouble scoring. Don't know how many breakaways he has had only to fail at scoring on those chances.

I'm still debating on whether to get rid of Nystrom or not as he has scored but has too many goals against/gives up too many goals even though I like him as a person.

Del Zotto I can deal w/ getting rid of.

As for who we should get: Someone who can score 20 or more goals as I doubt we would be able to get a 30 goal scorer. If we got a 20 goal scorer though for each of our first three lines we would be set. Our first two lines we have that but not for our third or fourth line. We need more of our guys scoring as a team as just having that elite offensive player to carry the team doesn't seem like something we can get.

I would be okay w/ getting rid of Nick Spaling/Bourque. Maybe even Colin Wilson if he can't turn into a 20 goal scorer even though I like to keep him as I like him and think he has potential.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
^^^I know that but we should at least get a 20 goal scorer....Not an elite scorer or legitimate scoring threat but at least a decent scorer. We need that from each of our lines, especially the first three lines. Right now we have that from our first two lines but not for our third or fourth line. If we could get that on our third line at least though, that would help this team alot or if we got a 25 or more scorer on our first line and then maybe moved Fisher and Cullen down to the second line instead for example that would help also.

Last edited:

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Now that the season is pretty much over and we are eliminated from any chance to get into the playoffs, who should we get rid of off this team and who should we go after/get for next year to improve this team?

I'll start. I would get rid of Victor Stalberg. Even though he has pickup up his play lately he still has trouble scoring. Don't know how many breakaways he has had only to fail at scoring on those chances.

I'm still debating on whether to get rid of Nystrom or not as he has scored but has too many goals against/gives up too many goals even though I like him as a person.

Del Zotto I can deal w/ getting rid of.

As for who we should get: Someone who can score 20 or more goals as I doubt we would be able to get a 30 goal scorer. If we got a 20 goal scorer though for each of our first three lines we would be set. Our first two lines we have that but not for our third or fourth line. We need more of our guys scoring as a team as just having that elite offensive player to carry the team doesn't seem like something we can get.

I would be okay w/ getting rid of Colin Wilson if he can't turn into a 20 goal scorer even though I like to keep him as I like him.

Nystrom is fine, and has played well. Stalberg has been a huge disappointment, would like to see him moved but don't know who would take on that contract. I have no problems with moving Wilson - he has plateaued in my opinion.

I agree with NoNeck that no moves will be made; too many forwards signed through next year on deals no one will probably trade for. But I would love to see them go after Stastny and kick the tires on E. Kane, though who knows what will happen between him and the Jets. And time to say goodbye to Trotz.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Its hard to say until we know how the GM/Coach situation pans out. If they both are still here, I don't see much happening at all.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Question but what happened to Patrick Eaves? I haven't seen him play much or at all on our team.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nystrom is fine, and has played well. Stalberg has been a huge disappointment, would like to see him moved but don't know who would take on that contract. I have no problems with moving Wilson - he has plateaued in my opinion.

I agree with NoNeck that no moves will be made; too many forwards signed through next year on deals no one will probably trade for. But I would love to see them go after Stastny and kick the tires on E. Kane, though who knows what will happen between him and the Jets. And time to say goodbye to Trotz.
Funny, Nystrom might be the weakest defensive player on the team.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
its not as easy to "get rid of" players as it sounds, unless they are UFA and we let them walk.

IMO Spaling and Bourque are probably redundant pieces standing in the way of younger players who desreve a shot, but to "get rid of" them we have to find someone willing to give us something for them

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

1. Trotz

I'm good with seeing how other guys might fare in a different system. Maybe some of them can thrive.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
its not as easy to "get rid of" players as it sounds, unless they are UFA and we let them walk.

IMO Spaling and Bourque are probably redundant pieces standing in the way of younger players who desreve a shot, but to "get rid of" them we have to find someone willing to give us something for them
I still like Bourque. He's fast and a very aggressive effective forechecker. I'd take him over Nystrom.

Spaling is a grinder type, easily replaceable.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Gone-
1. Trotz
2. Lambert
3. Poile
4. Clune
5.Spaling
6.Bourque
7. Cullen
8 Bartley

On the fence:
1. Wilson
2. Cullen

Get:
1a 1b 1c: Stastny

2. Trade Detroit 2/1st and Wilson to move up in draft top 2 if can.

3. What and see moving parts this summer.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
1. Trotz

I'm good with seeing how other guys might fare in a different system. Maybe some of them can thrive.
This. There's no doubt in my mind that we have some guys on this team that are capable of producing above-average numbers. We just don't have a system that allows it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Gone-
1. Trotz
2. Lambert
3. Poile
4. Clune
5.Spaling
6.Bourque
7. Cullen
8 Bartley

On the fence:
1. Wilson
2. Cullen

Get:
1a 1b 1c: Stastny

2. Trade Detroit 2/1st and Wilson to move up in draft top 2 if can.

3. What and see moving parts this summer.

There is Zero chance Paul Stastny will leave Colorado. There is no reason for Colorado to let him go they have plenty of cap room an no real pressure to resign any of the others not on a contract for next year. They can resign ROR and Stastny with ease. Also Stastny does have a family history there.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
There is Zero chance Paul Stastny will leave Colorado. There is no reason for Colorado to let him go they have plenty of cap room an no real pressure to resign any of the others not on a contract for next year. They can resign ROR and Stastny with ease. Also Stastny does have a family history there.
If that were truly the case, I would guess a contract would already be in hand.

You never want to go into your last year of your contract, especially the last week of your contract.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If that were truly the case, I would guess a contract would already be in hand.

You never want to go into your last year of your contract, especially the last week of your contract.

I get what your saying however there is no indication the team does not want him.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25272278/paul-stastny-absolutely-willing-grant-avs-discount

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...y-pleased-remain-avs-after-nhl-trade-deadline

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nhl/colorado-avalanche/2014/03/04/1923198/

All indications are they both the team and player want to get this done. Unless he does a Suter (which I doubt) they will get it done. If the front office did not feel sure they couldn't they would have traded him before the dealing. I just do not see Joe Sakic making the mistake DP did with Suter.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
First make a decision on a coach. Depending on who you pick for coach you should pick players who match the coach.

There are options out there but not too many open spots. Most of the RFA's are at defenseman. Only forward RFA's out there are Spaling, Beck, Rask and Moser.

If the Preds go for a complete overhaul they might have options. If they are going with a slight change then they should be ok with a major forward signing and another yr of experience on the D.

Here's what I have on the capgeek GM site

FORWARDS
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.715m) / Craig Smith ($2.000m)
Filip Forsberg ($0.894m) / Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Nick Spaling ($1.500m)
Richard Clune ($0.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Roman Josi ($4.000m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.900m) / Seth Jones ($0.925m)
Mattias Ekholm ($0.851m) / Ryan Ellis ($0.851m)
Victor Bartley ($0.667m) /
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Carter Hutton ($0.800m)

SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,283,976; BONUSES: $3,051,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,716,024

Biggest weakness is at left wing but I've been studying the left wing lock to see how that might effect this. Most of the scoring in on the RW. if we see a switch in defensive styles the LW has to be shored up. Speaking of defense, the PK is 25th in the league. That's unexceptable with a Barry Trotz team. Same with being 23rd in the league in GA per Game. There are two reasons for this. The lack of experience of the defensemen. But most importantly Pekka Rinne.

Where is the pluses? PP% Nashville who's been for the past couple of years has had a good PP%. The defense has talent. I'm almost tempted to ask for a defensive coach to coach up the team. The defensive foundation is there. Rinne, Weber, Josi, Jones, a strong 4th line.

If I had to boil this season down to one sentence, I will quote Jeff Marek. 'Give me a good goalie, I will give you a good coach.'

Next year, if the team can get a coach who's defensively strong, will be a contender. The lack of Rinne for a year cost Trotz his job.

IF it was me....

This team has the #1 defenseman and the #1 goalie but it's time to get a center and they have the resources to do that. Stastny would fit point wise and still moderately young. But there is the knock of Nashville can't get UFAs. There might be a need to overpay for him. It might be cheaper to overpay in a trade simply because forwards are beginning to backup in Milwaukee.

I believe this team is a playoff team next year thus the 2015 1st does not have as much value as some may think. If I have to trade that pick to give Nashville a chance at a cup, you damn right I would.

Things I would consider

Is Evander Kane on the market? He's having a down year and the Winnipeg media seems hell bent on shipping his ass out of town. he's 34th in scoring amongst LW's with a 'down year'. He's also 22 yo. If he can learn some lessons from Hornqvist about living near the net a line of Kane-Iron Hook-Smith is a 1st line.

Do I think the Preds have assets to get him? Hell, yes. First off, Winnipeg has Nik Petan in the system. I would dangle Brendan Leipsic as the chocolate to Petan's Peanut Butter as a start. Add in picks, roster players and I would be thrilled. My hope is as hope Winnipeg takes Stalberg in a package but I wont cry if they don't.

Vancouver might be in cap hell next year and the Sedin twins do NOT want to play with the coach. Let's think, what team has the players Vancouver's coaching staff want the most....Could Nashville do the boldest thing they could by offering a package of gritty spalls to the walls players to Vancouver for 14 Million of the Sedins? This would solve the LW and C need for the short term. Solves Vancouver's need in the long term. Also will drive the price up on Ryan Callahan which would be Vancouver's obvious target.

Speaking of which, Ryan Callahan. If Trotz were to stay another year I would give the moon for him and with Nashville's 12-15 milllion under the cap....that might happen.

Beck, Sissons, Moser, Watson, the 8 billion LHD in the Preds system

I've mentioned it, the Preds have a metric ****ton of LHD in the system. Makes sense when you have Weber, Jones, Ellis, Aronson in the depth chart...and only them on the depth chart. In this draft I would like to see some qualified RHD drafted. No overagers someone who's going to spend a lot of time in the NCAA's or CHL. Beck, I would look to move him. Maybe dangle him to Washington, 'hey if your like Latta, you are going to LOVE his former teammate.'

MDZ. If there is another coaching staff coming in I would try and hold on to him and see what they think.

Just some thoughts.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
One big problem the organization has had is hoarding centers looking for a 1c and 2cTis ha created a glut and forced players to play out of position for a while. They need to make a decision to which ones they will retain and try to move some of them out. I am not saying they need to trade them for a 1C because there is not enough value in them to make that happen.

Need to pick up a couple wingers that are nhl ready keep a couple veterans like Cullen or even Nystrom or Spaling around. Fish will retire after next year and you must have some veterans on both sided. Bartley needs to go and looks like MDZ will be gone again pick up a couple serviceable veterans until Jones Josi can fill the role. The lack of veterans on the blueline was a critical mistake this year and moving KK was absurd only making the situation worse.

It will be painful for the next couple years but short of moving Rinne or Weber theres no immediate fix then that would create holes I don't think any of us are willing to do.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois

I would be okay w/ getting rid of Nick Spaling/Bourque. Maybe even Colin Wilson if he can't turn into a 20 goal scorer even though I like to keep him as I like him and think he has potential.

We have 4 20 goal scorers in SW, CS, MF, PH. Only Philly has more 20 goal scorers (5) than we do. We don't have a true sniper or top 3 line. We at best have a decent 2nd line and several 3rd/4th line combos. Will be difficult to get a top 3 with our assets and current players under contract. 4 RFA and 1 URFA, will be hard to move.

I think that we need to shed Gaustad (buy out/trade) for sure, Clune, Eaves (URFA/walk), Nystrom (-26), Bourque, Spaling (RFA) and maybe Cullen, Wilson, Stalberg. Not sure what to do about Ellis (RFA), MDZ (RFA) or Ekholm (RFA). I know I know, a lot easier said than done.

I don't see any change with SW, RJ, PH, CS, MF, SJ, CJ. They stay.

I think we have 1 buyout remaining and should be used on Gaustad if not able to trade. I hate the thought of paying him but he needs to go. Nystrom too but no one will take that contract.

Thoughts...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think we have 1 buyout remaining and should be used on Gaustad if not able to trade. I hate the thought of paying him but he needs to go. Nystrom too but no one will take that contract.

Thoughts...

Nashville's PK% is crap. The only way I could see that is if they find a BETTER PK player on the market.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Nashville's PK% is crap. The only way I could see that is if they find a BETTER PK player on the market.

I fail to see all the Goose hate. He has done exactly what he was signed to do. Hate the contract sure but if he is cut loose the PK hurts and the FO dot especially. Remember how that area of the game took a hit when Yanic Perreault was rode out of town? If Goose can stay healthy he is an asset, we do not have anyone on the team to play the role he does.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We have 4 20 goal scorers in SW, CS, MF, PH. Only Philly has more 20 goal scorers (5) than we do....

Well we do have 4, but none of ours have more than 25.

Chicago has 4, Sharp (33), Kane (29), Toews (28), Hosa (20) and then Saad and Shaw with 19.

Ducks has 4, Perry (42), Getzlaf (31), Cogliano (21) and Bonino (20) They also have Perreault with 18.

San Jose has 4 Pavelski (39), Marleau (32), Burns (22), Couture (21)

Pittsburg's 4, Crosby (36), Kunitz (35) Neal (24) and Malkin (23)

Boston actually has 5 Iginla (30), Bergeron (29), Lucic (24), Marchand (23) and Smith (20).

Colorado also has 5 COR (28), Landeskog (26), Mac (24), Duchene (23) and Stastny (23) with McGinn also have 19.

St. Louis has 5 as well Steen (33) Backes (27), Schwartz (24), Oshie (21) and Tarasenko (21)

Ottawa is the other goal scoring defenseman with his team on this list, they also have 5 Turris (25), MacArthur (24), Ryan (23), Spezza (22) and Karlsson (20)

And we can't leave out the TBL if you count MSL they have 5 too. MSL (29), Filppula (25), Stamkos (24 in 34 games), Johnson (23) and Palat (22)

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Ideally I'd like to see all of the following gone, Stalberg(buy out if we can't trade him to someone for futures) Spaling, and bartley could be packaged in a trade for an ok pick to a team needing depth and grit Borque(might have potential still, his goal scoring is far too streaky for me and I think if he's retained he plays a lesser role in our future than his current second line minutes) and Eaves will walk as UFA since he was obviously just a contract dump from the red wings and hopefully we can dump nystrom's contract somewhere. While he has actually been decent at scoring goals he's been a defensive liability along with stalberg and isn't living up to his contract.

I think all of Ellis/Ekholm MDZ are resigned, but if management decides MDZ has attitude problems(not sure if this is simply a trotz thing or if it was evident other wise) I wouldn't be entirely opposed to shopping him if it brings us young offensive talent. I still think given some proper ice time he'll develop nicely. I would be shocked if Ellis/Ekholm aren't back though because down the home stretch here they have really gelled as a legitimate second pairing.

As for the people wanting to get rid of Gaustad and Clune, I can understand why but I think they both serve important roles on our roster right now. Our team is as soft as toilet paper and without clune or an equivalent on our team I could see us getting manhandled even more so than we did this season. Besides, he's on a cheap contract and isn't a liability on the ice otherwise. I could understand if he were a terrible turnover machine or floated as much as stalberg, but even if he isn't terrible skilled he's got a completeness to his game that makes him a serviceable role player on the 4th line. Gaustad meanwhile wins so many face offs for us and does a ton of work on the PK. I really don't understand the hate with him. Is he overpaid? Probably a little, but not nearly as much as his detractors would like us to believe. The Preds without Gaustad would somehow become an even worse possession team as we'd never win the puck from the faceoff dot. Plus I think he's a good character guy in the locker room and can pass on some of his face off skills to our younger developing C's anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille