Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Most of the terrible moves by Bergevin have been followed up by him stating that our team's need is exactly what we traded away. He has no vision. He has no sense of player evaluation. He has managed his assets poorly.

The only good moves he made that I can think of off the top of my head were: the Vanek trade, the Petry acquisition, and the Radulov signing (though this was his plan B and we were dangerously close to getting Lucic.)

We might also be suffering from recency bias, since we're currently in a downward spiral, but I would also say Bergevin. Never been more disenchanted and disengaged from this team. Honestly I'm just kind of paying attention to see how bad it can get for pure entertainment. Not a good place to have your fans.
He bought in his goalie coach from the Hawks to help Price. Carey had a couple of big years under him early on. Weaver, Weise were good pickups at the time. Briere was decent in the Boston series. Without those 4 moves no way we get to final 4 in '14. But after that I think he burned out. He put so many duds around...Dudley, Therrerin, Carriere, etc... Brisebois, Mellanby. Lots of guys he appointed I questioned at the time

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin trades away our young talented players so is it really a "tank"? When you tank you intentionally get worse by trading older players and acquire inexperienced talented guys, we are going to be stuck in the middle ground of moderately terrible but also having a bad farm.
Bergevin is not tanking, he is still going for it, he has no idea how to get there however. The man scouts through YouTube.:laugh:

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Bergevin trades away our young talented players so is it really a "tank"? When you tank you intentionally get worse by trading older players and acquire inexperienced talented guys, we are going to be stuck in the middle ground of moderately terrible but also having a bad farm.
Uh yes it is tanking, it doesn't mean we trade for older and considered tanking... It's all about busts, which domi will become... Trade busts, first round busts.. Etc and lose all the way.. Tank. :facepalm:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
No guarantee we would have drafted Girard or Debrincat

Drafting just ONE of those players would have been a better option than Andrew Shaw, let alone both. A scout for the Habs was recently asked one week ago about drafting Debrincat.

@Adam Michaels asked him about Debrincat in the 2nd had we not traded the picks for Shaw, and Steve replied with "Timmins had him very very high. I'll leave it at that".

Reactions: Pickles

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Here's a bunch of 20 something fanboys who have been following hockey for an average of 10 years and who claim MB is the "worst GM of all time".

Is this the Donald Trump effect or what? I miss the days when you could come on that board and have a balanced and nuanced debate between knowledgeable hockey fans. The level of discussion here has never been so weak and boring. This thread alone is embarrassing.

Reactions: AntonCH

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
People passing judgement on a trade in the off season without any games being played is laughable. I understand the hate for Bergevin as I want his sorry a$$ gone as well. For the love of god stop reading from the hater’s playbook and form your own opinions from critical thought

Same story, another bad trade by MB, guys come out and preach patience, it may take awhile but eventually all the detractors will be proven right. Its happened every god damn time. Theres nothing here from the haters playbook, Bergevin has lost all benefit of the doubt, he’s totally incapable of turning things around at this point, every move he makes puts us in a deeper hole.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Uh yes it is tanking, it doesn't mean we trade for older and considered tanking... It's all about busts, which domi will become... Trade busts, first round busts.. Etc and lose all the way.. Tank. :facepalm:
Bargain Bin is tanking. Not on purpose mind you........but tanking none the less.

A natural tanker.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Bargain Bin Annual Summer one for one Swap.

One year from now it'll be Gallagher

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Radulov sure showed us....ooops, no playoffs for him

Pateryn sure showed us....ooops, no playoffs

Subban sure showed us.....ooops, out in the second round

Jerabek sure showed us though, he was part of a championship team!!

Markov didn't make the national team, swallow your pill

Are you suggesting that the moves made by Bergevin involving these players were mostly savvy and astute moves?

Reactions: Peanut

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Are you suggesting that the moves made by Bergevin involving these players were mostly savvy and astute moves?
No, that’s what your suggesting.

Read the post, it’s one layer deep, no need to keep digging for ulterior meanings of what I meant.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Then the suggestion is that we aren’t undeniably worse in large part to many of those moves?

Reactions: Peanut

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Same story, another bad trade by MB, guys come out and preach patience, it may take awhile but eventually all the detractors will be proven right. Its happened every god damn time. Theres nothing here from the haters playbook, Bergevin has lost all benefit of the doubt, he’s totally incapable of turning things around at this point, every move he makes puts us in a deeper hole.
x 1000 When are they going to get rid of this clown?

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Bergevin always f***s up my summer. I try to stay away but wtf, bro? And gotta love the Friday at 9pm news dump trade announcement. If this was a good deal they'd have held it till Monday morning. Classic MB crap. Par for the course...

Reactions: Habs178

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I honestly wonder if Bergevin knew if 4 of Domi’s 9 goals were empty netters last season when he acquired him.
I doubt any of them showed up on Youtube, so he was probably clueless.

Reactions: badbrains
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad