Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Radulov sure showed us....ooops, no playoffs for him

Pateryn sure showed us....ooops, no playoffs

Subban sure showed us.....ooops, out in the second round

Jerabek sure showed us though, he was part of a championship team!!

Markov didn't make the national team, swallow your pill

Lmfao.

Are you really trying to talk shit about us losing a 70+ point player and a Norris finalist?

That's...gosh, that's something.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Radulov sure showed us....ooops, no playoffs for him

Pateryn sure showed us....ooops, no playoffs

Subban sure showed us.....ooops, out in the second round

Jerabek sure showed us though, he was part of a championship team!!

Markov didn't make the national team, swallow your pill
You have to be kidding with this right? Just when you think you have seen and read it all, this board kicks it up a notch.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Marc takes the top mark. And he's not even done yet...:help:

tenor.gif

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Lmfao.

Are you really trying to talk **** about us losing a 70+ point player and a Norris finalist?

That's...gosh, that's something.

You have to be kidding with this right? Just when you think you have seen and read it all, this board kicks it up a notch.

OK Marc. Get back to "the phones" now.

To be fair to that guy, this board makes a correlation to success based on making the playoffs/how far you go regardless of the team around you when it comes to a trade. You know, as long as it serves the purpose of "proving" that person's point.

Sort of like plus/minus doesn't matter unless it helps your argument

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Some GMs build teams and try to get the most out of players. Others blame players for not winning and think that if they just get rid of the right people the team will be great.

Look at MB and Houle's trades. They are generally not done with a purpose, they tend to try to be even one for one trades to get rid of someone they don't like (look, Domi has the same ppg, Weber is a good D like Subban, Drouin is, OK that just sucked). No other GM wants to make an even one for one trade so they take problem players and get hosed.

I don't understand why GMs have to be uneducated, unintellectual ex-players. Ex-agents would make sense, statisticians, negotiators, MBAs... What ability does playing the game provide for GMing? The concussions over the years don't help either.
MB probably the best example of this.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bergevin squandered the opportunity to build a dynasty, wasn't given a budget limitation by management, and is leaving a poisoned chalice to his successor.

Houle, on the other hand, had no chance to compete. When he left, Savard and Gainey needed five years or less to turn the ship around. They had good young players like Andrei Markov and Saku Koivu.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Moment of silence for Bergeron with us for another six years! Mourn and filled with sorrow being a fan! Tank for six years!

Bergevin trades away our young talented players so is it really a "tank"? When you tank you intentionally get worse by trading older players and acquire inexperienced talented guys, we are going to be stuck in the middle ground of moderately terrible but also having a bad farm.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin trades away our young talented players so is it really a "tank"? When you tank you intentionally get worse by trading older players and acquire inexperienced talented guys, we are going to be stuck in the middle ground of moderately terrible but also having a bad farm.

Exact. If we tank Weber doesn't finish the next season in Montreal.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Markov???...lol....come on man, He left the nhl and couldn’t even make his own national team for the olympics when no nhl players were going.

-Radulov left and is a Nashville castoff also
-DSP is a NJ castoff (formerly known as Smith-Belly)....and the ridicule that went on when we traded the Czech for him, it was an absolute tragedy, but now it’s a platform for ridicule....come on

-Pateryn......Irrelevant
-Morrow??...:laugh:

Debrincat and Girard???....Girard is another Nashville castoff.....like your going so many layers deep to find **** lol

We never owned Debrincat
Andrighetto.....ya, ok lol

Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Eller and PK are our castoffs......make fun of that if you want, the rest is a reach.
You realize Markov didn't make the national team because they picked from two teams, right? And it's not like he didn't have any other offers, he refused to speak with other teams and the Habs were disrespectful in contract negotiations, so he left this joke organization. And good for him.

Andrighetto is 100% a castoff. So is DSP, whether NJ f***ed up as well is irrelevant.

Radulov would have returned but didn't over a contract dispute.

Our now-fired OHL scout said something along the lines of we would've picked DeBrincat with one of those 2nd rounders if we didn't do the Shaw trade, Girard isn't a Nashville castoff, and it's assumed we would've picked him (still just an assumption, so I agree that he isn't our castoff but he definitely is not a NSH castoff)

Pateryn isn't bad. Morrow can f*** off though.

I'd say:
Subban
Radulov
Sergachev
Galchenyuk
Eller
DSP
Andrighetto
Markov
Pateryn (played 73 games with DAL this year, we never gave him more than 38 in a season)

are castoffs.

Last edited:

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I swear to God anyone who uses the NT argument against Markov is f***ing stupid. Everyone knows how that team was built. Putin and his buddies (owners of CSKA and SKA, the same teams they tried to rig the KHL for) got together in a room and picked players from only those two teams. Literally, only Mozyakin and Koshechkin were picked from elsewhere, and both were from Metallurg.

Markov was the top defenseman on a Cup-winning Ak Bars team. He looked good even in the playoffs. Trust me, he would have done just fine in the NHL, atleast playing at a second pairing level.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I swear to God anyone who uses the NT argument against Markov is ****ing stupid. Everyone knows how that team was built. Putin and his buddies (owners of CSKA and SKA, the same teams they tried to rig the KHL for) got together in a room and picked players from only those two teams. Literally, only Mozyakin and Koshechkin were picked from elsewhere, and both were from Metallurg.

Markov was the top defenseman on a Cup-winning Ak Bars team. He looked good even in the playoffs. Trust me, he would have done just fine in the NHL, atleast playing at a second pairing level.

Can't be worse than Alzner, Benn and Schlemko anyway.

Reactions: Habs178 and Habs76

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Curious to see if Peanut still holds the title.

Please keep in mind Reggie had limited amount of money to spend.
I voted for Foule. Bergs did get you on a couple of deep runs in playoffs. He was probably a Carey PRice knee injury away from Cup Finals. Bergs made some good calls early on. But I think he burned out, nnever had the right people around him

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Most of the terrible moves by Bergevin have been followed up by him stating that our team's need is exactly what we traded away. He has no vision. He has no sense of player evaluation. He has managed his assets poorly.

The only good moves he made that I can think of off the top of my head were: the Vanek trade, the Petry acquisition, and the Radulov signing (though this was his plan B and we were dangerously close to getting Lucic.)

We might also be suffering from recency bias, since we're currently in a downward spiral, but I would also say Bergevin. Never been more disenchanted and disengaged from this team. Honestly I'm just kind of paying attention to see how bad it can get for pure entertainment. Not a good place to have your fans.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Forget Marc Bergevin. It's evident Bergevin is simply inept as a GM and should not be employed at such a level. We all know this.

Just as MB said about Chucky at centre, I will say I do not need to see anymore, MB is not a GM.

As each day passes with him in charge, we get further away from another Cup.

I said it many months ago. It's all on Geoff Molson.

Reactions: BLONG7

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
People passing judgement on a trade in the off season without any games being played is laughable. I understand the hate for Bergevin as I want his sorry a$$ gone as well. For the love of god stop reading from the hater’s playbook and form your own opinions from critical thought. This organization has had some real stinker GMs through the years, yet we only really remember the last 4 or 5? Grundman and Peanut are at the summit since, everyone else fights for second (or third) place.
Bergevin and his cronies misread the tea leaves and built a team that was 5 yrs behind the times. They were caught off guard by the speed wave that was running rampant through the league.
However, I wonder how many here would be caught doing the same if someone had the time and the patience to research the posts of our past. Too small, moar big, too soft, perimeter player; were all among the key words of just a couple of years ago. A lot of posters were caught up in it just like MB. Now the haters get the advantage of anonymity and free hate.
This league has changed, things move quick, look at the history of the final four GMs and take it from there.
As for the latest trade, do you really think that an organization that is starved for a center would give up on one for no apparent reason?

David25

Nov 22, 2016
Habs cast aways:

Debrincat - Galchenyuk - Radulov
DSP - Eller - Andrighetto

Sergachev - P.K
Markov - Girard
Morrow - Pateryn

Vs the acquired bunch:

Domi - Drouin - A.Shaw
Hemsky - Danault - Deslauriers
L.Shaw - ? - K.Rychel