Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gainey had some blemishes, especially after the personal tragedy, but he can't be the worst.

That's between Houle and bergevin, but I can only speak of GMs that I saw in my life time, which makes the list between s savard, Houle, a savard, gainey, gauthier, and bergevin.

A savard and Gauthier just weren't around long to evaluate properly, although Gauthier was able to leave a bad taste in a short tenure too.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Here's a bunch of 20 something fanboys who have been following hockey for an average of 10 years and who claim MB is the "worst GM of all time".

Is this the Donald Trump effect or what? I miss the days when you could come on that board and have a balanced and nuanced debate between knowledgeable hockey fans. The level of discussion here has never been so weak and boring. This thread alone is embarrassing.

Subban - Sergachev - Galchenyuk - Eller

for

Weber - Drouin - Domi - Shaw

thats 0 for 4 man sorry

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The first cup parade I saw as a child was...1956.

Worst, by a margin and possibly going to get worse...Bergy,

This is karma for Pollock's brilliance. I worshiped his brilliance as a teenager and in my twenties.

Reactions: BLONG7

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
There was a post about this a little while ago and I had chosen Houle, I probably would still choose Houle because of the Roy trade, but Bergevin has closed the gap with his recent moves and the fact that he's still here is the cherry on top. Voting for Bergevin this time.

Reactions: Pickles

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Tough choice. Houle traded Roy, Turgeon and Damphousse for peanuts but I really think Corey was pulling the strings.

Bergevin on the other hand is a one man wrecking crew. He's destroyed the team. He's stupid, arrogant and incompetent. I didn't think he was as bad as Houle till he made the Drouin and Domi trades. He's the worst GM in the league no doubt about it now. I voted Bergevin.

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Markov???...lol....come on man, He left the nhl and couldn’t even make his own national team for the olympics when no nhl players were going.

-Radulov left and is a Nashville castoff also
-DSP is a NJ castoff (formerly known as Smith-Belly)....and the ridicule that went on when we traded the Czech for him, it was an absolute tragedy, but now it’s a platform for ridicule....come on

-Pateryn......Irrelevant
-Morrow??...:laugh:

Debrincat and Girard???....Girard is another Nashville castoff.....like your going so many layers deep to find **** lol

We never owned Debrincat
Andrighetto.....ya, ok lol

Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Eller and PK are our castoffs......make fun of that if you want, the rest is a reach.

1. Radulov plays his heart out for Montreal & puts up 54 points in 77 games.
2. Radulov makes it clear that he wants to stay long-term for around $6 million per.
3. Bergevin tells him to take a hike even though there is plenty of cap space.
4. Dallas offers $6,250,000 x 5 & Radulov gives them 72 points in 82 games.
5. Montreal loses a 1st line player for absolutely nothing for no reason at all.

In the meantime:

1. Bergevin trades his best prospect in 10 years for a downgrade on Radulov.
2. Bergevin immediately gives this unproven player Radulov's cap space.
3. Bergevin then gives a similar contract to Karl mother ******* Alzner.
4. Montreal is now missing two elite players & twice as much cap space.

And then you come in:

"If you criticize Bergevin for Radulov...you're just reaching...because Nashville"

And I can easily make the same argument about Markov....He wanted to stay but Bergy told him to suck it & signed Alzner instead. Who would you rather have....Markov for 1 more year or Alzner for 4 more years?

--------------

I'm aware that I could have served you the truth without such ravaging destruction of your manhood....but I noticed that you posted a laughing face emoji to support your ill-advised criticism....there's a line between being incorrect & being incorrect + rude. You now know where to tow it.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
1. Radulov plays his heart out for Montreal & puts up 54 points in 77 games.
2. Radulov makes it clear that he wants to stay long-term for around $6 million per.
3. Bergevin tells him to take a hike even though there is plenty of cap space.
4. Dallas offers $6,250,000 x 5 & Radulov gives them 72 points in 82 games.
5. Montreal loses a 1st line player for absolutely nothing for no reason at all.

In the meantime:

1. Bergevin trades his best prospect in 10 years for a downgrade on Radulov.
2. Bergevin immediately gives this unproven player Radulov's cap space.
3. Bergevin then gives a similar contract to Karl mother ******* Alzner.
4. Montreal is now missing two elite players & twice as much cap space.

And then you come in:

"If you criticize Bergevin for Radulov...you're just reaching...because Nashville"

And I can easily make the same argument about Markov....He wanted to stay but Bergy told him to suck it & signed Alzner instead. Who would you rather have....Markov for 1 more year or Alzner for 4 more years?

--------------

I'm aware that I could have served you the truth without such ravaging destruction of your manhood....but I noticed that you posted a laughing face emoji to support your ill-advised criticism....there's a line between being incorrect & being incorrect + rude. You now know where to tow it.

Destruction of my manhood??....:biglaugh:

Oh man, you take this online stuff waaayyyy to seriously.

Do people still self analyze their integrity and “manhood” on a chat forum??????

Apparently some do lol

You da man whoever you are lol

Radulov left for Dallas for the same contract......that’s fact!!

Markov here last year would’ve leaped us from 4th last to 8th last, hence a worst pick........NEXT

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You have come a long way Jaffy. Nobody can make you despise Bergevin and that’s your right. But it’s great you’re seeing the failures. That being said, that single post you just made did seem like a grocery list of excuses.
If we get no centres in draft and trade or UFA, I’ll want him gone!!

Reactions: nhlfan9191

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Tough choice. Houle traded Roy, Turgeon and Damphousse for peanuts but I really think Corey was pulling the strings.

Bergevin on the other hand is a one man wrecking crew. He's destroyed the team. He's stupid, arrogant and incompetent. I didn't think he was as bad as Houle till he made the Drouin and Domi trades. He's the worst GM in the league no doubt about it now. I voted Bergevin.
Corey was definitely pulling the strings, Houle was the puppet

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Rejean Houle still has it because he never fielded a competent team, his draft record sucked, and he lost so many trades very badly (PK Weber trade pales in comparison). Bergevin is a close second, and if he can’t fix this sinking ship and get in to the playoffs this year or next, then he most likely will take the title.

Rejean Houle’s 15 worse moves: All of which are worse than Bergevin’s worse moves.

Rejean Houle's 15 Worst Moves As Montreal Canadiens GM

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gainey is awful, but for reasons that are obvious, he gets a pass on HF.

Gainey did some serious damage as well. I agree, he gets a pass on HF boards. I wouldn't say he is the worse in history but he should be in the discussion. Started off very well but the 2nd half of his tenure was brutal. He left us in bad shape and one of the major reasons they Habs have had a very bad prospect pool was the 8 top 100 picks from 2008-2011. It set us back many years and we are only turning the corner now.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we get no centres in draft and trade or UFA, I’ll want him gone!!

I don't like how we managed Galchenyuk. Gave him a 3 year deal and pinned us in the corner with him. Then traded him for Domi who has 4 years of RFA. Galchenyuk is going to flourish in Arizona.

Bergevin's management of elite level talent has been brutal! He does not understand skilled players. That is clear to me at this stage.

Reactions: jaffy27

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
To be fair to that guy, this board makes a correlation to success based on making the playoffs/how far you go regardless of the team around you when it comes to a trade. You know, as long as it serves the purpose of "proving" that person's point.

Sort of like plus/minus doesn't matter unless it helps your argument
Forget their new teams.

Their individual performance compared to their replacements, in the context of the MONTREAL CANADIENS going backwards, is all that matters.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If this Domi deal falls flat and he does little else this summer, it will be Bergevin and easily.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If this Domi deal falls flat and he does little else this summer, it will be Bergevin and easily.
That's one way of looking at it. But Bergs has 5 years left on 5 million dollar per and Julien has 4 left on a 5 million per. Going to be a tough bullet for Molson to take

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Gainey did some serious damage as well. I agree, he gets a pass on HF boards. I wouldn't say he is the worse in history but he should be in the discussion. Started off very well but the 2nd half of his tenure was brutal. He left us in bad shape and one of the major reasons they Habs have had a very bad prospect pool was the 8 top 100 picks from 2008-2011. It set us back many years and we are only turning the corner now.

Gainey left us with a prime Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, etc... Bergevin will be leaving the next GM with no bluechip prospects, an over the hill #1 defenseman and goalie both with contracts that are in the running for the worst contracts in the NHL. You've defended Bergevin for years quite arrogantly too while you're throwing crap on a guy that won multiple stanley cups as a player and with Dallas as a GM? This is why I will never respect your opinion ever.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gainey left us with a prime Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, etc... Bergevin will be leaving the next GM with no bluechip prospects, an over the hill #1 defenseman and goalie both with contracts that are in the running for the worst contracts in the NHL. You've defended Bergevin for years quite arrogantly too while you're throwing crap on a guy that won multiple stanley cups as a player and with Dallas as a GM? This is why I will never respect your opinion ever.

Well if you don't respect my opinion, don't reply. We have a mutual agreement here. I really don't care how you debate your opinion cause you get disrespectful. Grow up, people are allowed to disagree.

You turned into a Gainey vs Bergevin debate on your own buddy... then went on to hate me for it. Wake the hell up. My comment was Gainey did not leave us in a good situation. Our prospect pool was terrible! He gets a pass on HF boards and he should not. He didn't do that much good in the end and I was a fan of his.

My comment was about Gainey, not Bergevin.

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Well if you don't respect my opinion, don't reply. We have a mutual agreement here. I really don't care how you debate your opinion cause you get disrespectful. Grow up, people are allowed to disagree.

You turned into a Gainey vs Bergevin debate on your own buddy... then went on to hate me for it. Wake the hell up. My comment was Gainey did not leave us in a good situation. Our prospect pool was terrible! He gets a pass on HF boards and he should not. He didn't do that much good in the end and I was a fan of his.

My comment was about Gainey, not Bergevin.

Right and my comment is how Gainey left us with better players and in a MUCH better situation than we are now and I am fully convinced that we would be competing for a Cup had Gainey been shown the same level of patience that Bergevin has. If you write BS and nonsense expect to get called out on it. You said we are just now turning a corner? What corner are we turning? We missed making the playoffs twice in the past three years. This is what you call turning the corner? You really think the habs are going to make the playoffs this year with their ECHL lineup? So yes I highly question the intelligence of anyone still left defending this man.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right and my comment is how Gainey left us with better players and in a MUCH better situation than we are now and I am fully convinced that we would be competing for a Cup had Gainey been shown the same level of patience that Bergevin has. If you write BS and nonsense expect to get called out on it. You said we are just now turning a corner? What corner are we turning? We missed making the playoffs twice in the past three years. This is what you call turning the corner? You really think the habs are going to make the playoffs this year with their ECHL lineup? So yes I highly question the intelligence of anyone still left defending this man.

Well, Move on. Cause I have no interest in a Gainey vs Bergevin twist. My comment was about Gainey. And you still don't agree. It's OK

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Well, Move on. Cause I have no interest in a Gainey vs Bergevin twist. My comment was about Gainey. And you still don't agree. It's OK

You said that we are just now turning a corner. What did you mean by that or did you just pull that comment out of your ass? Again Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller are much better prospects than anything we have in the farm right now.

You keep saying that 2008-2011 devastated this franchise, I beg to differ. We drafted Subban, Patches and McDonagh in 2007. What if we had drafted Patches in 2007, Subban in 2008 and McDonagh in 2009 plus Gauthier drafted Gallagher, a 30 goal scorer in 2010. So was 2007-2011 really that bad? 2007-2011 is much better than 2012-17. We have no one currently playing in our top six or top 4D from those draft years. That's an indictment on this management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->