Speculation: Who gets traded?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree that any of those three could be better than Hanifin. For now, Hanifin is a known quantity to point, which is always the interesting discussion about prospects. We know Hanifin can play competently in the league and prospects are just that. I know Hanifin isn't a major physical presence, but I think his game may come around in that area. It's tough- I like our prospects, and if we go forward with our current D I am more than okay with it.

I'd only run away from Hanifin if there are off ice issues suggesting playing at home would be a problem. But I have never heard anything like that about him.

Being a little soft isn't a problem you probably just have to keep him off the pairing with Carlo for a couple years until both are mid 20s and stronger.

I think Nurse/Hanifin are the best targets simply because there is a lot of upside and you'd be trading for them before they turn into stars. Give them a fresh start and play them with McAvoy and you might be rewarded big time. You can probably do a deal based around Krug and somehow pull it off without coughing up JDB.

Here is a name I'm going to throw out who I'd love to take a run at this won't be popular but I think Gardiner in Toronto is a very good player and got unfairly blamed for the series vs us I'd love to get him for Krug and think the add would be minor.

Reactions: Dr Hook

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'd only run away from Hanifin if there are off ice issues suggesting playing at home would be a problem. But I have never heard anything like that about him.

Being a little soft isn't a problem you probably just have to keep him off the pairing with Carlo for a couple years until both are mid 20s and stronger.

I think Nurse/Hanifin are the best targets simply because there is a lot of upside and you'd be trading for them before they turn into stars. Give them a fresh start and play them with McAvoy and you might be rewarded big time. You can probably do a deal based around Krug and somehow pull it off without coughing up JDB.

Here is a name I'm going to throw out who I'd love to take a run at this won't be popular but I think Gardiner in Toronto is a very good player and got unfairly blamed for the series vs us I'd love to get him for Krug and think the add would be minor.

Toronto would be adding here not the Bruins.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

WOW and Whoa. Even if I loved Gardner I wouldn't trade anyone to them who can put them over the top. Theri "over the top" is beating Boston. Send Krug there and you will have a Bruins killer.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
WOW and Whoa. Even if I loved Gardner I wouldn't trade anyone to them who can put them over the top. When I say "over the top" it means that their OTT is beating Boston. Send Krug there and you will have a Bruins killer.

Gardiner is a good player. Works for me if they are going to give us a pick in the deal. A moronic fanbase expects more from him even though hes been excellent for him. Nice time to buy low and sell high.

I am aware of what Krug can do. And I think he'd score or set up a couple goals against us in a playoff series. But I truly believe that if we played a team with Torey Krug on it in a 7 game series we'd be able to really target him and likely score 2-3 goals a game when he was on the ice. This is not a guy who I'd need to trade to the West.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Certainly alot of proposals in the past few pages that make bruins much better... if theres a chance to convince these other teams to bend over i say make it happen.

Trade spectulation is something i enjoy for fun... but i never take it too serious. And i find most the posters who shoot these ideas down, are alot of the same posters that call our gm an idiot after the trades he makes too

Most real trades will result in the other team getting assets we value if we are getting simething they value too

A guy like peter chelerik who is probably rated around our 10th winger on our depth chart isnt going to fetch back a top 10 pick or a under 25 dman that is already a 20 min per night top 4 guy with upside to grow

I mean... yeah if it could be done sweet... but c'mon

Lots of interesting possibilities in carolina though... those are wildcard because their owner is being a loose cannon... opens up room for us to guess

I think vancouver is going to be in flux... they lose the sedins now... they are clearly in rebuild. Lots of caproom to retain salary. A few vets that could be interesting if they retain salary.

And vancouver has a gm on friendly terms with boston

Edmonton does not have an embassy in boston now... don't expect a trade with chiarelli anytime soon

I still see a numbers problem with boston and left shot kids... both on wing and defense. I see that as our starting point for our next deal. Some of our good looking attractive left shot kids will be moved for some vet help that won't make very many posters here happy

Reactions: Memokerobi

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I haven't heard anything about any potential off ice issues with Hanifin. In fact, I've heard nothing but positive things about him and what a high character kid he is.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You are right, I forgot about Roy and Necas there for a second. Carolina is deep at LHD, but they might look into building their RD prospect pool. Where I could see Carolina potentially being interested in the #10 pick is if they end up moving Faulk and are interested in Dobson if he falls to #10 or maybe Wilde. But from the sound of things, Carolina is already a very young team, and as an organization, they would like to supplement that young core with players that can help them now. Kind of like a re-tool of the guys that have been on their team for a while now.

I'll be surprised if Roy ever makes it to the NHL. His skating just isn't there and when I've seen him in camp, he looks noticeably slower than everyone else. That said, the same was said about Victor Rask and he spent lots of time with the Canes power skating coach and became adequate enough to be able to be a viable NHLr, but IMO, Roy has a long ways to go.

Canes best chance internally at a C is Aho (who ended the season there and has done well there in international competition) and Necas - who is a natural center, but young and may take time. Aho is a smart enough player that I'm convinced he can do it, but he's also such a good winger that it might not be the right call for the team. Now that Peter is gone, I think we'll see Lindholm finally get a chance to play center, where most of us feel he is much better. Peters for some reason wouldn't play Aho and Lindholm at C if he had a gun to his head, and only did it when the season was basically over.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, except the guy you were referring to (Muzzin) just had his best season and is only signed for two more years, so his age is not even an issue in regards to what you are taking issue with (foolish long term deals).

If the Bruins traded for a 28/29 year old player that was under contract for two more years AND then was thinking about signing them to a long term deal at the age of 30/31, you would have a point.
He DIDN'T just have his best season. Did you read my post at all?

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018

I like Gardiner but hard no on seeing Krug in a Leafs uni. And Krug to Gardiner is downgrading

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Ugg, offensively I like the things Jake can do but fans here hard on Krug, often mention on the boards his D game is a deficiency would be absolutely hammering Gardiner. Krug, from time to time, hits mini slumps defensively, Gardiner far too consistently makes decisions defensively that have had me going, over the years "what the he** is he doing" and we just witnessed a game 7 where we saw that and that game was far from the outlier.

While he`s bigger than Krug, not so sure DS or Cam are targeting a LD like him, just too many mistakes back there

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He DIDN'T just have his best season. Did you read my post at all?

First off, let me just say that all of this is moot because the Kings are not trading Muzzin to the B’s :laugh:

I did read your post. You tried to say that this wasn’t Muzzin’s best year because of his points per 60 and because he had more secondary assists. You also cited a study that has “proven” that NHL player’s “primes” are now reached at 24-25.

Got all that (although I’m not sure how is TOI going down and his point production going up helps your argument at all?).

As I have said, I’m not a huge advanced stats guy at all, but when I look at Muzzin’s 5 on 5 possession numbers, his CF% rel, FF% rel, and his PDO were all at career highs for a full season, while his OZS% went down to a career low.

Unless I’m completely confused, isn’t that a good thing?

You seem to be fixating on my comment about the hit totals? I said initially that hits are not a good way to judge overall ability of a player. However, when you look at a guy like Muzzin, who had a career high in points, had a career high in his 5 on 5 possession numbers, is only 29 with two years remaining on a very Cap friendly deal...AND is top 20 in hits for Dmen, once again, isn’t that a good thing?

All I was trying to say was that if you were looking for a physical guy to bridge the gap until UV can be a Top pair guy, Muzzin would be an excellent choice.

That’s it.

I wasn’t saying he was a long term solution or that the B’s should sign a 31 year old D to a long term big money deal. Just that he would be a good fit for the next couple of years.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

ugh no offense, but Gardiner is terrible. All the defensive deficiencies of Krug (worse probably) without the elite offense to make up for it.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
that's awful for Carolina.. hanifin will cost you one of our good young guys then some

Eh, look at the makeup of the canes team. Look at what they need.

It isnt more young guys. They've already said they want to change the makeup of the team. They've had the same guys there for the last X amount of years that haven't made the playoffs. They aren't bad, they just need a change in scenery.

Looking at that team now with Faulk/Slaving/Pesce/Fleury etc, and the next couple years, what helps them get back into the playoffs? Hanifin, or David Krejci?

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
What do you think we would have to send Carolinas way for Victor Rask? I think he could have more offense to give and fits our age group. Plays center, could be our new number 2.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
First off, let me just say that all of this is moot because the Kings are not trading Muzzin to the B’s :laugh:

I did read your post. You tried to say that this wasn’t Muzzin’s best year because of his points per 60 and because he had more secondary assists. You also cited a study that has “proven” that NHL player’s “primes” are now reached at 24-25.

Got all that (although I’m not sure how is TOI going down and his point production going up helps your argument at all?).

As I have said, I’m not a huge advanced stats guy at all, but when I look at Muzzin’s 5 on 5 possession numbers, his CF% rel, FF% rel, and his PDO were all at career highs for a full season, while his OZS% went down to a career low.

Unless I’m completely confused, isn’t that a good thing?

You seem to be fixating on my comment about the hit totals? I said initially that hits are not a good way to judge overall ability of a player. However, when you look at a guy like Muzzin, who had a career high in points, had a career high in his 5 on 5 possession numbers, is only 29 with two years remaining on a very Cap friendly deal...AND is top 20 in hits for Dmen, once again, isn’t that a good thing?

All I was trying to say was that if you were looking for a physical guy to bridge the gap until UV can be a Top pair guy, Muzzin would be an excellent choice.

That’s it.

I wasn’t saying he was a long term solution or that the B’s should sign a 31 year old D to a long term big money deal. Just that he would be a good fit for the next couple of years.

You were using Muzzin's raw point totals as a reason for why he was good and had the "best" season of his career. I showed you why that was illusory. If you don't accept that, then whatever.

Since you're not an advanced stat guy you should know PDO isn't a predictive stat, it's descriptive. It's a measure of a player's "luck" since goals are random and a player has very little-to-no direct influence on his sh% nor his on-ice sv%. However, PDO tends to regress towards 100 (there are outliers and exceptions, but this is the general rule). Therefore, when you say that a player had a high PDO, that's not necessarily a good thing. It means he was lucky, which given Muzzin's huge jump in 5-on-5 secondary assists, his on-ice sh% was probably way too high and means he'll likely see a drop next year. Not exactly guy you want to buy high on. The other stats you mention *are* good. As I've said all along, Muzzin is a good player. It's good that he had career years in those metrics, but again, his high PDO and low scoring efficiency relative to his past years coupled with where he is on the aging curve, he's not a good bet for someone who will replicate that success next year.

I wasn't fixating on your hit totals, I was pointing out that it was flawed to think there was any inherent value to a "physical" player. I'm not one of those guys who wants to soften up the league, as I love hitting and fighting and all of the physical aspects of the game, but looking purely for physicality instead of other qualities is what I was saying is antiquated. So him being in the top 20 of hits really doesn't mean anything. It's noise. That's all.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You were using Muzzin's raw point totals as a reason for why he was good and had the "best" season of his career. I showed you why that was illusory. If you don't accept that, then whatever.

Since you're not an advanced stat guy you should know PDO isn't a predictive stat, it's descriptive. It's a measure of a player's "luck" since goals are random and a player has very little-to-no direct influence on his sh% nor his on-ice sv%. However, PDO tends to regress towards 100 (there are outliers and exceptions, but this is the general rule). Therefore, when you say that a player had a high PDO, that's not necessarily a good thing. It means he was lucky, which given Muzzin's huge jump in 5-on-5 secondary assists, his on-ice sh% was probably way too high and means he'll likely see a drop next year. Not exactly guy you want to buy high on. The other stats you mention *are* good. As I've said all along, Muzzin is a good player. It's good that he had career years in those metrics, but again, his high PDO and low scoring efficiency relative to his past years coupled with where he is on the aging curve, he's not a good bet for someone who will replicate that success next year.

I wasn't fixating on your hit totals, I was pointing out that it was flawed to think there was any inherent value to a "physical" player. I'm not one of those guys who wants to soften up the league, as I love hitting and fighting and all of the physical aspects of the game, but looking purely for physicality instead of other qualities is what I was saying is antiquated. So him being in the top 20 of hits really doesn't mean anything. It's noise. That's all.

Which is why I brought up a bunch of other stats like points, Corsi, OZS, but you keep going back to the hits, which was only one determining factor.

This conversation has run it’s course. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. I was merely looking for a LH “physical” D that could also skate, retrieve pucks, etc., the stuff that Neely mentioned the other day

Muzzin fits that description.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Which is why I brought up a bunch of other stats like points, Corsi, OZS, but you keep going back to the hits, which was only one determining factor.

This conversation has run it’s course. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. I was merely looking for a LH “physical” D that could also skate, retrieve pucks, etc., the stuff that Neely mentioned the other day

Muzzin fits that description.
The conversation has definitely run its course. You've simply dismissed, ignored, or misrepresented most of the things I've written. We'll just agree that Muzzin is good and leave it at that.

kevind122684

Mar 23, 2018
Eh, look at the makeup of the canes team. Look at what they need.

It isnt more young guys. They've already said they want to change the makeup of the team. They've had the same guys there for the last X amount of years that haven't made the playoffs. They aren't bad, they just need a change in scenery.

Looking at that team now with Faulk/Slaving/Pesce/Fleury etc, and the next couple years, what helps them get back into the playoffs? Hanifin, or David Krejci?
I think the Canes can do much much better than Mr. invisible aka David Krejci, not to mention Carolina doesn't need another center, I would try a package including Anders Bjork ++ for Hanifin

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think the Canes can do much much better than Mr. invisible aka David Krejci, not to mention Carolina doesn't need another center, I would try a package including Anders Bjork ++ for Hanifin

Again, they need NHL caliber players that are established. Guys who have been around the league and a winning culture.

Not unproven young guys.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad