Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow someone had far far too much on their hands to copy all that :laugh:
I feel as if I'm not quoted enough. ;)

The funny thing is there didn't even seem any point of what the poster was doing. I read that board once in awhile and have for years. Some of the same stuff being said here has been stated on the LA board. They are actually harder on some of their players than any of us, and seems like a tradition on LA board. Most of the posters I thought were a decent read seem to be either gone or are so jaded now its like reading this board during the DOD days. Even 1,2 yrs after the cup wins that board was getting negative.

• Haha
Reactions: Messrules11

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Show me one video ever where Skinner is upset, or upset with his play either on ice or in a presser. Same dumb grin all the time.
Post game pressers mean nothing to me. How he is in the room and around his teammates is what matters, and we don't have the slightest clue what goes on in that room. If you honestly think athletes are unbothered by bad games and losses, especially in the playoffs, then there's nothing I can say to you that will change your mind.

I think you're just upset at the loss and are being overly emotional about it. As this board does everytime the tiniest bit of adversity comes at the team.

This place is a meltdown waiting to happen 24/7 and it's becoming beyond laughable.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Post game pressers mean nothing to me. How he is in the room and around his teammates is what matters, and we don't have the slightest clue what goes on in that room. If you honestly think athletes are unbothered by bad games and losses, especially in the playoffs, then there's nothing I can say to you that will change your mind.

I think you're just upset at the loss and are being overly emotional about it. As this board does everytime the tiniest bit of adversity comes at the team.

This place is a meltdown waiting to happen 24/7 and it's becoming beyond laughable.
I never stated athletes don't care or anything. I was speaking specifically to one player and asking if you have EVER seen Skinner upset over a goal, or after a game, or during a presser, any time at all. I asked that because its never occurred in recollection.

For most people there are reactions of some type. For vast majority of goalies I've seen there are.

In anycase how Skinner is in the presser is again absolving himself of anything and feeling he played fine. Some people think that OK. Others will wonder if its a concern.

So try again. When has Skinner ever looked bothered to you about a GA or about a bad game? I hope that theres been such occurrences.

Reactions: Kinibo

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I never stated athletes don't care or anything. I was speaking specifically to one player and asking if you have EVER seen Skinner upset over a goal, or after a game, or during a presser, any time at all. I asked that because its never occurred in recollection.

For most people there are reactions of some type. For vast majority of goalies I've seen there are.

In anycase how Skinner is in the presser is again absolving himself of anything and feeling he played fine. Some people think that OK. Others will wonder if its a concern.

So try again. When has Skinner ever looked bothered to you about a GA or about a bad game? I hope that theres been such occurrences.
I had my man covered. - Stu

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

To your last paragraph I wouldn’t read to much into that.
Fuhr never showed much either but if you look at Patrick Roy it’s night and day. 2 of the greats but completely opposite.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The poster I replied to said he would rather the team lose just so we can get rid of a single player.

I can see how that does not contribute to the discussion. And yeah even if we all have strong opinions on Skinner, thoses shouldn't get in the way of loving the crest first and the players second.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

It's hard to tell how a goalie feels about a bad goal against because they can't sag on the ice. What's he supposed to do, hang his head mope? People can very easily be bothered by bad performances without showing it outwardly. Just because someone is smiling or acting like they don't have a care in the world doesn't mean they don't.

I couldn't care less about what anyone says in post game pressers. It's how they respond on the ice. Especially in the playoffs. You wipe it from your memory, you don't dwell on it, and you come out ready for the next one.

There isn't a bone in my body that thinks he doesn't care or isn't bothered.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

I agree with you. You can see an intensity increase in players demeanours, post game interviews, on ice looks- etc. Fuhr had a very laid back attitude but you saw, and felt, an uptick in intensity come playoffs. Stuart just doesnt have that. Im sick of him saying “it’s a learning experience” - im sure McDavid and Draisaitl are totally cool with Skinner using playoff runs as development exercises

It's hard to tell how a goalie feels about a bad goal against because they can't sag on the ice. What's he supposed to do, hang his head mope? People can very easily be bothered by bad performances without showing it outwardly. Just because someone is smiling or acting like they don't have a care in the world doesn't mean they don't.

I couldn't care less about what anyone says in post game pressers. It's how they respond on the ice. Especially in the playoffs. You wipe it from your memory, you don't dwell on it, and you come out ready for the next one.

You can tell when a player ups his intensity during the playoffs. They are either more pissed off about loses or they sacrifice the body or just an intense look. I don’t get that from Skinner. I don’t think he has that intensity uptick. “Learning experience” doesn’t fly in year 9 of McDrai

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Meanwhile Carolina and Florida are up 3-0 in their respective series. I only hope we can make short work of somebody along the way because we’ll need to have something left in the tank in the later rounds. LA needs to be that series looking at what’s ahead.

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

As someone with a goalie in the house for ten years the in ice demeanour of Skinner is almost exactly what is taught by most coaches I’ve seen these days. No emotion, you can’t get the last save back, don’t let the other team, or even your own team know you’re rattled. Just be cool, it’s a brutal position, maybe one of the worst in all of sports and learning to chill is important.

Post game he probably could’ve been a bit more transparent but he also hasn’t seen film at that point. Again, with my goalie, until he’s seen the video he doesn’t always have the clearest picture of what went wrong or right. Still could’ve said a bit more, But again, you are in a series and I expect guys are also pretty guarded in what they say.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Meanwhile Carolina and Florida are up 3-0 in their respective series. I only hope we can make short work of somebody along the way because we’ll need to have something left in the tank in the later rounds. LA needs to be that series looking at what’s ahead.
This is why I hoped that we'd take a 2-0 lead. If we lose game 3 then at best we have to play 6 games in the first round. That could be 2 more games than some other teams assuming that we even get past LA which is never a guarantee.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah look... I'm all about errors. I think it's splitting hairs to assign any blame to anyone on that OT goal. That's why I think you were barking up the wrong tree on OT SPCT and OT GAA, since i) statistically it makes no sense to do it and ii) you can't really blame Skinner on that goal.

The biggest errors in the game were (in order of occurrence):
Kempe1: Bouchard+Foegele,
Kempe2: Bouchard,
Doughty: Kulak+Skinner,
Fiala: Skinner.
With a dishonorable mention for whatever defender was too lazy to box out the LA forward from the fly-by screen on Fiala's goal (but it shouldn't have mattered on a shot from that distance)

And all of those happened before OT.
I think that you need to include RNH on the Doughty goal. His stick was on Skinners left pad just prior to when Doughty ran over him preventing Skinner from doing much of anything.
I mean all things considered...what do you think that Skinner could have done differently there?

I am also curious to why you think Foegele was at fault on the first Kempe goal? It was Foegle that back tracked and broke up a Kings opportunity and then gained puck possession. He then handed it to Bouchard and skated up the side boards to give Bouchard an outlet. Bouchard (with a total lack of intensity or sense of purpose) soft dumps the puck well short of Foegele just inside the blueline.
It was an easy pick for the LA player. The correct play for Bouchard was to bang the puck off of the boards ahead of Foegle so he could potentially transition the puck up ice. If Foegele doesnt gain possession then the defence has an opportunity to reset.
Bouchard created that entire issue with his lazy play.

Last edited:

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Full of cry babies here all over Skinner. How about McDavid. How many goals does he have so far? Big ZERO! How about scoring just one goal in regulation and we would have won.
Calls people crybabies then calls out the player who has carried this franchise for what 8 years? You cannot make up this type of stupidity lol.

Sorry to intervene in a great to read exchange but you already acknowledged Skinner has a slow glove hand.

I share the view that his glove hand is not NHL starter caliber.

But when you state "you can't blame Skinner on the goal" (In a game in which Skinner was beat glove hand 3-4 times. ) are you not blaming him because you already absolve him of having a slow glove hand? I'm curious about this.

Talbot made that save multiple times in the game, and in look off situations where the danger was different players at once.

Thing is Skinner had clear view of OT shot and it went in. He could even anticipate where shot was going because Kings have been going there on him a fair amount for two playoffs running.

Kings beat Skinner yesterday on same placed shot 3X and hit a crossbar on another. Just food for thought.

Last question is Skinner glove hand too low in these situations. Can he adjust positioning glove a bit higher without compromising his blockform style?
Skinner has one of the slowest reacting glove hands I have ever seen, he consistently gets beaten glove side without even moving his glove.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I think that you need to include RNH on the Doughty goal. His stick was on Skinners left pad just prior to when Doughty ran over him preventing Skinner from doing much of anything.
I mean all things considered...what do you think that Skinner could have done differently there?

I am also curious to why you think Foegele was at fault on the first Kempe goal? It was Foegle that back tracked and broke up a Kings opportunity and then gained puck possession. He then handed it to Bouchard and skated up the side boards to give Bouchard an outlet. Bouchard (with a total lack of intensity or sense of purpose) soft dumps the puck well short of Foegele just inside the blueline.
It was an easy pick for the LA player. The correct play for Bouchard was to bang the puck off of the boards ahead of Foegle so he could potentially transition the puck up ice. If Foegele doesnt gain possession then the defence has an opportunity to reset.
The thing about that first goal that pisses me off is players are taught tape to tape. A first pass out of your own zone has to be tape to tape. Banking a pass off the boards isn’t exactly an easy thing to do, weight, angle and board bounce need to all be perfect and it wasn’t.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I don't blame RNH. I just commented on him, mostly in praise, that he got back, but unfortunately his stick (the reply I saw anyway) caught Doughty's stick which prevented him from finishing his move and the puck ended up sliding through Skinner's leg. That was just bad luck on Nuge's part, he made the right play.

As for Skinner... I get mad at myself when I overreact, or react too early to a move on a breakaway, since it usually means the puck will slide in somewhere I should have been. In this case, Skinner goes down somewhat awkwardly, he doesn't get square on his knees in a proper butterfly. He was probably reacting to what Doughty was trying to do prior to Nuge's stick contact, which was draw it to Skinner's right.

That is really nit-picking, but everybody wants to blame Skinner for something, so I figured I'd call out what, to my eye, was his 2nd worst mistake of the night (Fiala was really the only glaring error and it was a doozy). On a breakaway like that, sometimes the worst thing you can do is overplay it, and that's what Skinner did... from a "first do no harm" principle, you wanna be down with a sealed 5-hole there, then push/stretch only once a move is made. He got caught over-anticipating IMO. Goalies are hard on ourselves... if that qualifies as an error.

As for Foegele, I disagree that he made himself an option, he had his back to Bouchard and was leaving the zone early. He should have stopped on those half-boards and presented his stick, or at least had his head on a swivel. He looked like he was either cheating for offense or just assumed that Bouchard would never dare make that play and instead would do glass and out... that's just miscommunication and enough blame to spread between two guys... though I agree, mostly on Bouchard for his puck-choice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The thing about that first goal that pisses me off is players are taught tape to tape. A first pass out of your own zone has to be tape to tape. Banking a pass off the boards isn’t exactly an easy thing to do, weight, angle and board bounce need to all be perfect and it wasn’t.
I hear you. That should be the standard. Bouchard failed on that play.
He didnt hit Foegele with a tape to tape pass in a situation that at a minimum called for it.
It was a high risk play though because the Kings player was bearing down so quickly.
For me in that specific situation at least get the puck out of the zone.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I hear you. That should be the standard. Bouchard failed on that play.
He didnt hit Foegele with a tape to tape pass in a situation that at a minimum called for it.
It was a high risk play though because the Kings player was bearing down so quickly.
For me in that specific situation at least get the puck out of the zone.
Agreed, a Staios special, off the glass and out

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't blame RNH. I just commented on him, mostly in praise, that he got back, but unfortunately his stick (the reply I saw anyway) caught Doughty's stick which prevented him from finishing his move and the puck ended up sliding through Skinner's leg. That was just bad luck on Nuge's part, he made the right play.

As for Skinner... I get mad at myself when I overreact, or react too early to a move on a breakaway, since it usually means the puck will slide in somewhere I should have been. In this case, Skinner goes down somewhat awkwardly, he doesn't get square on his knees in a proper butterfly. He was probably reacting to what Doughty was trying to do prior to Nuge's stick contact, which was draw it to Skinner's right.

That is really nit-picking, but everybody wants to blame Skinner for something, so I figured I'd call out what, to my eye, was his 2nd worst mistake of the night (Fiala was really the only glaring error and it was a doozy). On a breakaway like that, sometimes the worst thing you can do is overplay it, and that's what Skinner did... from a "first do no harm" principle, you wanna be down with a sealed 5-hole there, then push/stretch only once a move is made. He got caught over-anticipating IMO. Goalies are hard on ourselves... if that qualifies as an error.

As for Foegele, I disagree that he made himself an option, he had his back to Bouchard and was leaving the zone early. He should have stopped on those half-boards and presented his stick, or at least had his head on a swivel. He looked like he was either cheating for offense or just assumed that Bouchard would never dare make that play and instead would do glass and out... that's just miscommunication and enough blame to spread between two guys... though I agree, mostly on Bouchard for his puck-choice.
I think I will agree with you on the Doughty goal that this really is nit picking and leave it there,
The real issue with that goal was why was the right side of the D so wide open that a opposition Dman was able to skate in unobstructed on a breakaway.
That really should be the question here. That was an epic defensive breakdown.

Regarding Foegele...I couldnt disagree more. With the reality of the situation (the Kings player coming in hot) that was a bang bang play. That puck had to either be on Foegles stick or get out of the zone stat and for Foegele to have any chance at transitioning the play that puck had to moved up quickly. Its tough to consider it cheating when Foegele was 10 feet ahead of Bouchard. Screwing around in your own zone in that sitaution shouldnt have been an option for Bouchard.
Bouchard made the worst possible decision he could make on that play.

Agreed, a Staios special, off the glass and out
For sure and it didnt even necessarily have to go off the glass.....just up and out off or along the boards.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is why I hoped that we'd take a 2-0 lead. If we lose game 3 then at best we have to play 6 games in the first round. That could be 2 more games than some other teams assuming that we even get past LA which is never a guarantee.
We also started the series later. and ended our season later and had loaded up schedule towards end of season. Thanks NHL..

It was imperative to finish this series in 5 games to avoid the fatigue troubles of recent playoffs. That said KK is doing a better job of spreading out minutes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad