Speculation: Who gets traded?

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Watching Krug in these playoffs was like watching Thomas in the playoffs for the Celtics last year. They put up great offensive numbers but were getting killed in team defense.
Sweeney doesn't have the same asset to throw in for a return like Ainge got but I'm sure Krug alone could fetch the same pic return as Hamilton.

Reading the Globe article Gee Wally posted above, the author says they want a fast, left shot, puck retriever who plays big in his own end and the Bruins don't have one of those in system. That actually fits Zboril to a T. However he'll just be a rookie next year and may need a little more development time.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I think we missed our chance to get our now and for the future LHD when we let Tampa snag McDonagh. He checks pretty much every box. Hanafin would be nice but will cost a lot and won’t be much better defending than Krug at this stage in his development.

Reactions: Strafer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

How do you feel about Faulk defensively Dom. I've been living in charlotte north carolina for two years now and every loves his offense but absolutely hates his defense. I personally think he is a liability defensively.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How do you feel about Faulk defensively Dom. I've been living in charlotte north carolina for two years now and every loves his offense but absolutely hates his defense. I personally think he is a liability defensively.

I love his Ben Stiller does David Starsky’s look

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
If Noah Hanifin is available.... you go get him. Can you imagine Noah next to McAvoy for the next 10 years? That is an unbelievable foundation and would make both players that much better playing with one another. Krug being a piece, or Krejci being included maybe?

How about something like Krug+Krejci for Hanifin+Rask/Lindholm (either one becomes our 3rd line C)... include whatever other pieces you think we need.... and then we sign Tavares. Sound good? Go do it Donny!

Just for fun.

March-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-Tavares-Bjork
Heinen-Rask or Lindholm-Donato
Cehlarik/Blidh-Kuraly-Backes

Hanifin-CM73
Z-Carlo
Grz-Miller

Championship.

If only.

But seriously, you got get Noah Hanifin and stick him next to CM73.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
^^^I really doubt they would move Hanifin. I mean I could see Skinner and Faulk go but Hanifin is the foundation of their future. If he was somehow available I'd sell the farm for him, no doubt.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
^^^I really doubt they would move Hanifin. I mean I could see Skinner and Faulk go but Hanifin is the foundation of their future. If he was somehow available I'd sell the farm for him, no doubt.
My problem is that I’m not sure What Hanifin is worth. Why would Carolina trade him? A young upcoming defenseman that they already put time into developing.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
My problem is that I’m not sure What Hanifin is worth. Why would Carolina trade him? A young upcoming defenseman that they already put time into developing.

Same here. It's not like I regularly watch Carolina games. The opinions on him seem uniformly positive and I keep seeing how he has a good contract. I don't quite get why Carolina would trade him. They're not contending next year so he would have time to grow with them, I think.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016

The article he references: Lowetide.ca | Needles and Pins

Lowtide is suggesting Klefbom + 10th overall for Krug + Heinen and maybe more. That's where Divver above suggested Cehlarik.

Sounds like a pretty fair trade for both sides.

If the deal is Klefbom and 10 for Krug and Cehlarik, I do it. If it was Heinen instead of Cehlarik I don’t know. I’m a big believer in Gryz and while I think he never puts up Krug’s offensive numbers, I think he can bring his puck moving ability. Klefbom has a cheap and good contract for several years. And drafting at 10 we probably get a stud knowing this scouting staff. I like Cehlarik but that’s a move I think we have to make. Heinen I wouldn’t move. I really believe he should be our 3rd line center next season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
All of it?

Muzzin is a fine player, and has great underlying numbers, but a 29-year-old is not "in his prime"...he's leaving it. The Bruins do not need to spend assets on a player who is entering his decline. And using hits to assess a player is absolutely backwards and antiquated.

A couple of things.

Not sure if you picked up on it, but I pointed out that the just turned 29 year old Muzzin is only under contract for two more years. The age of 29 and 30 is absolutely part of a player’s prime.

I’m not sure if point totals are one of the “underlying numbers” that you don’t care for, but Muzzin had the best point total of his career this past season. If you like that sort of thing (scoring), it’s impressive. Unrelated, sort of, but Marchand just had the two best seasons of his career at 28 and 29.

Using hits to “assess” a player IS kind of backwards and antiquated. Using hits to determine a general idea of how physical a player is seems like an ok idea. What other stat are you supposed to use for that? Muzzin is 14th amongst D men for hits. The other guys in the Top 15 are:

Zadarov, Del Zotto (this was a surprise), Larson, Hagg, Boro, McNabb, Schenn, Orpik, Risto, Johns, Dillon, Emelin, Manson, Oleksiak, Gudas.

Generally speaking, I would say that the above list reflects a group of pretty physical D. The fact that Muzzin is in this group by itself means little in regards to his overall worth as a player. That he’s in this group, while also putting up 40+ points, is pretty impressive.

I’m not huge on advanced stats, but Muzzin’s all looked good there as well. His OZS was 52% this past season, the lowest of his career.

Once again, the biggest issue isn’t really how good he is, it’s that he’s probably not available.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
A couple of things.

Not sure if you picked up on it, but I pointed out that the just turned 29 year old Muzzin is only under contract for two more years. The age of 29 and 30 is absolutely part of a player’s prime.

I’m not sure if point totals are one of the “underlying numbers” that you don’t care for, but Muzzin had the best point total of his career this past season. If you like that sort of thing (scoring), it’s impressive. Unrelated, sort of, but Marchand just had the two best seasons of his career at 28 and 29.

Using hits to “assess” a player IS kind of backwards and antiquated. Using hits to determine a general idea of how physical a player is seems like an ok idea. What other stat are you supposed to use for that? Muzzin is 14th amongst D men for hits. The other guys in the Top 15 are:

Zadarov, Del Zotto (this was a surprise), Larson, Hagg, Boro, McNabb, Schenn, Orpik, Risto, Johns, Dillon, Emelin, Manson, Oleksiak, Gudas.

Generally speaking, I would say that the above list reflects a group of pretty physical D. The fact that Muzzin is in this group by itself means little in regards to his overall worth as a player. That he’s in this group, while also putting up 40+ points, is pretty impressive.

I’m not huge on advanced stats, but Muzzin’s all looked good there as well. His OZS was 52% this past season, the lowest of his career.

Once again, the biggest issue isn’t really how good he is, it’s that he’s probably not available.

I did pick up on it. The point is the Bruins don't need another guy approaching 30 on their roster, especially for what the cost would be to acquire him. And given that cost, they might even be tempted to sign him long term, which would double down on that mistake.

The big mistake you're making is that being 'physical' = being good. That's the kind of antiquated thinking I was referring to. Of that list of defenseman in the top 15 of hits, very few are actually effective at their positions. I'm not saying that you can't get physical players or that all physical players are bad, just that being physical is an input and doesn't necessarily lead to a good output.

As for Muzzin's point total, there's a lot of reasons to be skeptical. For one, this season saw a massive jump in his 5-on-5 secondary assist numbers relative to his career average. That's not surprising. It happens all the time with players because secondary assists are mostly noise -- they fluctuate wildly from year-to-year and are not really repeatable. For that reason, it's best to look at primary points when seeing how a guy is *really* doing. Secondly, if you account for the amount of ice time he received, this past season was the second lowest of the last six years (chosen arbitrarily). His primary points per sixty minutes of ice time was 0.4. Last year it was 0.3. If you look at that year-over-year, you'll notice that in fact, he *is* declining like nearly every other player who reaches 28/29, because a skater's peak is around 24/25 years old. Yes, you have outliers like Brad Marchand (who also saw a massive jump in his power play and 5-on-5 ice time commensurate with his career best years) and freaks like Jagr, but it's probably not a good idea to apply the rare examples to your expectations of most players.

Again, I'm not ragging on Muzzin. I think he's a good player, but not because he hits or puts up points. He drives play very well. But at his age, he's not the solution.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I'd like to see Krejci traded even for a top 4 puck moving Dman...

Trading Krejci without a plug in replacement as 2nd line center right now is borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Now if we can bring up Frederic or JFK this season and try them and see them succeed at the 3rd line center, maybe we roll the dice with one of them at 2nd line center next year and explore what they can get for DK46.

I'm on the "explore Krug trades" train. While the play completely different styled games I'd think we're better off in the long run keeping Gryz and trading Krug. I think this Tampa series showed you are going to have a tough time in the playoffs with two small defensemen. Trading Gryz would keep the Krug offense, but you will return less for Gryz meaning you'd have to add much, much more to get the LHD that we mostly all agree they need, and it creates possible salary cap issues down the line. I'm not a cap fanatic, so the second point might be incorrect, but I still worry about it.

Again, not saying we should run the guy out of town on a rail, but if Krug plus a non-rostered prospect gets you the LHD that will immediately help reduce Chara's load and could possibly step into a top pair role down the line, how do the Bruins not think long and hard about that??

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Lowtide is suggesting Klefbom + 10th overall for Krug + Heinen and maybe more. That's where Divver above suggested Cehlarik.

I do that deal if, and only if, Dobson or Bouchard somehow slip to #10. Then its basically Heinen for Klefbom...which I feel pretty meh about. And the gamble really comes in at Krug for Bouchard/Dobson.

If either of those two hit their ceiling, I'd say the trade is a win for us. If they don't, its a loss.

If I am Carolina, I probably don't package Skinner and Faulk together. I think they could maximize their return by sending them to two different teams.

I would like to see Skinner on the Bruins, but I don't see a spot for him. I'd rather watch JDB develop on Krejcis wing for a few years if Krejci stays. Marchand is staying on the top line. And I think Skinner would be waste to put on the 3rd line.

Viktor Rask though. Ill keep pounding that drum until my arms fall off.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I do that deal if, and only if, Dobson or Bouchard somehow slip to #10. Then its basically Heinen for Klefbom...which I feel pretty meh about. And the gamble really comes in at Krug for Bouchard/Dobson.

If either of those two hit their ceiling, I'd say the trade is a win for us. If they don't, its a loss.

If I am Carolina, I probably don't package Skinner and Faulk together. I think they could maximize their return by sending them to two different teams.

I would like to see Skinner on the Bruins, but I don't see a spot for him. I'd rather watch JDB develop on Krejcis wing for a few years if Krejci stays. Marchand is staying on the top line. And I think Skinner would be waste to put on the 3rd line.

I will buy that. I just wanted a chance to re-hash my tweet from pre-trade deadline

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Two Nash's didn't work out; what makes you think two Rask's will? :D

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I will buy that. I just wanted a chance to re-hash my tweet from pre-trade deadline

Kids edge work reminds me a lot of Spooner/Crosby. Not the biggest guy, but that figure skating background lets him keep his balance when other guys are leaning on him.

Two Nash's didn't work out; what makes you think two Rask's will? :D

Makes too much sense to get Rask from Car. slot him in as 3rd line center. He had a down year due to injury. His value has been higher in the past, definitely a good guy to target now instead of later. If injuries happen, he can definitely slot into the top 6.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I've seen that Klefbom + #10 pick package in rumors. I believe one rumor was that package for Ristolainen.

For someone who has not been paying attention to the upcoming draft this year, who does everyone believe would be available there that could potentially be a target for the Bruins? The last I read, the draft seems to be defenseman heavy around #10.

I'm not that big of a fan of Klefbom. In my opinion, the Bruins would be getting a bunch of uncertainty in return. He has shown flashes of his potential but follows that up with inconsistent play. That doesn't factor in the length of his contract and his injuries.

If the Bruins want a roster player from Edmonton and Krug is involved, I hope the Bruins would target RNH instead. Bergeron, Krejci, and RNH down the middle would be amazing. If RNH is a no go for Edmonton, I would rather Sweeney trade Krug to Edmonton for the #10++ and maybe package the #10 pick in a deal for Hanifin.

Last edited:

False Start

May 8, 2018
Same here. It's not like I regularly watch Carolina games. The opinions on him seem uniformly positive and I keep seeing how he has a good contract. I don't quite get why Carolina would trade him. They're not contending next year so he would have time to grow with them, I think.

Carolina has Slavin and Pesce signed long term. With Fleury and Bean up and coming.

This is why one of those defenseman are probably available.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I've been pushing "trade Krug" for a couple of years. Not because I hate him, but because, IMO, he is overpaid for what he brings and his poor D play (although that has improved). Now I don't think he'll bring what we need. I've seen some interesting proposals here and would do a couple; for #10 draft pick, for #17 draft pick; but would target different players for each. If we do move up, I'll tell who.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

That's a flat out awful deal for the Bruins.

Heinen + Krug for KlefBUM and the 10th is terrible. And the Bruins would need to add more? Gross.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
How does Cehlarik and a 2019 first for Hanifin sound? It doesn't sound painful enough for the Bruins so Carolina probably laughs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad