Speculation: Who gets traded?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How does Cehlarik and a 2019 first for Hanifin sound? It doesn't sound painful enough for the Bruins so Carolina probably laughs.

Sounds good as a B's fan- but you're right, Sweeney gets a dial tone with that offer :laugh: Now if we threw in a D prospect? Zboril, Lauzon, UV? That might be a starting point.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sounds good as a B's fan- but you're right, Sweeney gets a dial tone with that offer :laugh: Now if we threw in a D prospect? Zboril, Lauzon, UV? That might be a starting point.

It wouldn't shock me if one (or more) of those three prospects you mention is better than Hanifin in short order.

From what I have heard, the B’s absolutely LOVE Vaakanein, and think he’s a 1st pair guy. The only way I see them moving him is for a stud D (better than Hanifin).

Cam says they want someone bigger than Krug, that can skate and retrieve pucks. All three of those kids fit that description. The only question is how soon they get there (if ever).

Reactions: Strafer

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
That's a flat out awful deal for the Bruins.

Heinen + Krug for KlefBUM and the 10th is terrible. And the Bruins would need to add more? Gross.

That trade only makes sense if they anticipate Klef to be better than Krug, and if the #10 works out better than Heinen, and if the other player they give up is a wash. That is a lot of if's.

Reactions: BruinDust

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Maybe. I've never seen any of those guys play but Zboril seems to be the closest to a "sure" thing of those three, IIRC. Urho Vaakanainen seems like a stay at home type, and Lauzon has the highest ceiling I think. I don't know who the Bruins value the highest out of these guys TBH.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Having trouble editing my posts but nice to see GloryDaze offer his thoughts. Definitely more knowledgeable than I am re: prospects.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It wouldn't shock me if one (or more) of those three prospects you mention is better than Hanifin in short order.

From what I have heard, the B’s absolutely LOVE Vaakanein, and think he’s a 1st pair guy. The only way I see them moving him is for a stud D (better than Hanifin).

Cam says they want someone bigger than Krug, that can skate and retrieve pucks. All three of those kids fit that description. The only question is how soon they get there (if ever).

I agree that any of those three could be better than Hanifin. For now, Hanifin is a known quantity to point, which is always the interesting discussion about prospects. We know Hanifin can play competently in the league and prospects are just that. I know Hanifin isn't a major physical presence, but I think his game may come around in that area. It's tough- I like our prospects, and if we go forward with our current D I am more than okay with it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I've been pushing "trade Krug" for a couple of years. Not because I hate him, but because, IMO, he is overpaid for what he brings and his poor D play (although that has improved). Now I don't think he'll bring what we need. I've seen some interesting proposals here and would do a couple; for #10 draft pick, for #17 draft pick; but would target different players for each. If we do move up, I'll tell who.

What is this #17 draft pick you speak of? That's the devils pick....Missing this one.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I did pick up on it. The point is the Bruins don't need another guy approaching 30 on their roster, especially for what the cost would be to acquire him. And given that cost, they might even be tempted to sign him long term, which would double down on that mistake.

The big mistake you're making is that being 'physical' = being good. That's the kind of antiquated thinking I was referring to. Of that list of defenseman in the top 15 of hits, very few are actually effective at their positions. I'm not saying that you can't get physical players or that all physical players are bad, just that being physical is an input and doesn't necessarily lead to a good output.

As for Muzzin's point total, there's a lot of reasons to be skeptical. For one, this season saw a massive jump in his 5-on-5 secondary assist numbers relative to his career average. That's not surprising. It happens all the time with players because secondary assists are mostly noise -- they fluctuate wildly from year-to-year and are not really repeatable. For that reason, it's best to look at primary points when seeing how a guy is *really* doing. Secondly, if you account for the amount of ice time he received, this past season was the second lowest of the last six years (chosen arbitrarily). His primary points per sixty minutes of ice time was 0.4. Last year it was 0.3. If you look at that year-over-year, you'll notice that in fact, he *is* declining like nearly every other player who reaches 28/29, because a skater's peak is around 24/25 years old. Yes, you have outliers like Brad Marchand (who also saw a massive jump in his power play and 5-on-5 ice time commensurate with his career best years) and freaks like Jagr, but it's probably not a good idea to apply the rare examples to your expectations of most players.

Again, I'm not ragging on Muzzin. I think he's a good player, but not because he hits or puts up points. He drives play very well. But at his age, he's not the solution.

No offense but nonsense! Defensemen peak out at around 28-29 and then for the most part usually have very solid, predictable several years after. Forwards are a very different story. D-Men like McAvoy for instance are not the norm for instance. His play will peak in the next few years, I can see him being a rock for the next 10 years easily.

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That trade only makes sense if they anticipate Klef to be better than Krug, and if the #10 works out better than Heinen, and if the other player they give up is a wash. That is a lot of if's.

And the other question is when does that player at #10 actually start contributing to the Boston Bruins.

I'm not knocking Zboril, just using him as an example, but they picked a guy at #13 who 3 years since his draft hasn't played a game in the NHL. And isn't guaranteed to have a regular job next year either.

That guy they pick at #10 could easily have 2-3+ years before he's in Boston.

Meanwhile they have an aging core and Heinen is here producing right now, who can help this core win right now, and isn't that much older than the guy they would take at #10.

Like you said, that's a lot of question marks in that deal. Serious pass if I'm Boston.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Also need Klefbom to stay healthy, something he has grossly struggled to do in his short career. The reward would be epic if OK was able to put it together, but anyone who would move Krug for him "easily" or "in a heartbeat" is letting their Krug hate blind them. It's a deal that could equally blow up in their face as it could benefit them.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Also need Klefbom to stay healthy, something he has grossly struggled to do in his short career. The reward would be epic if OK was able to put it together, but anyone who would move Krug for him "easily" or "in a heartbeat" is letting their Krug hate blind them. It's a deal that could equally blow up in their face as it could benefit them.

I'd prefer to stay away from Klefbom. Krug is a proven commodity- his strengths and weaknesses. Anyone that signs Krug knows exactly what they are getting with him, just as we know exactly what we have with him. If he gets moved, it needs to be for a player that has some consistency to his game/development trajectory/injury history.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I do that deal if, and only if, Dobson or Bouchard somehow slip to #10. Then its basically Heinen for Klefbom...which I feel pretty meh about. And the gamble really comes in at Krug for Bouchard/Dobson.

If either of those two hit their ceiling, I'd say the trade is a win for us. If they don't, its a loss.
Dobson would fit everything the Bruins need in their prospect pool as a big, right shot D with 1st pair potential. Another option for that pick is Bode Wilde who fits that same profile but is an even faster skater than Dobson.

I'd rather lose Cehlarik than Heinen since Heinen is a proven scorer in the NHL (though he disappeared in the playoffs). However, they are adding a full season of Donato so the Bruins have plenty of young, skilled, scoring wingers allowing them to deal from strength.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
For someone who has not been paying attention to the upcoming draft this year, who does everyone believe would be available there that could potentially be a target for the Bruins? The last I read, the draft seems to be defenseman heavy around #10.

most folks i've talked to believe it's fairly close to a 9 player draft and then a very big divergence in opinion over
the next grouping. dahlin-svechnikov-zadina-tkachuk-hughes-bouchard-boqvist-wahlstrom-dobson being that
group of 9. it's reasonable to think jesperi kotkaniemi or joel farabee could possibly jump up into that grouping,
but seems more unlikely.

around the #10 pick, the most likely choices are:
jesperi kotkaniemi (C)
joel farabee (W)
ty smith (D)
barrett hayton (C)
joe veleno (C)

there's a few russian wingers hanging around the 15ish zone (kravtsov/denisenko), but unlikely to be taken at 10.
i'd love to grab hayton, veleno or kotkaniemi, as i see all 3 of them being legit left-shot #2 centers for the long-term.

Reactions: Absurdity

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Dobson would fit everything the Bruins need in their prospect pool as a big, right shot D with 1st pair potential. Another option for that pick is Bode Wilde who fits that same profile but is an even faster skater than Dobson.

not a big bode wilde fan - i see a guy who makes a lot of questionable decisions with and without the puck. he improved
slightly as the year went on, but don't think he has the chops to be more than maybe a 3-4 type.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
most folks i've talked to believe it's fairly close to a 9 player draft and then a very big divergence in opinion over
the next grouping. dahlin-svechnikov-zadina-tkachuk-hughes-bouchard-boqvist-wahlstrom-dobson being that
group of 9. it's reasonable to think jesperi kotkaniemi or joel farabee could possibly jump up into that grouping,
but seems more unlikely.

around the #10 pick, the most likely choices are:
jesperi kotkaniemi (C)
joel farabee (W)
ty smith (D)
barrett hayton (C)
joe veleno (C)

there's a few russian wingers hanging around the 15ish zone (kravtsov/denisenko), but unlikely to be taken at 10.
i'd love to grab hayton, veleno or kotkaniemi, as i see all 3 of them being legit left-shot #2 centers for the long-term.
Thanks for filling me in on the draft Nugs! I can see why the Bruins could potentially be interested in the #10 pick now. The biggest thing the Bruins have been missing in their system is a potential #1 center which is where Kotkaniemi, Hayton, and Veleno come in. There's also a team in Carolina who is looking for a #1C, so things could get interesting if Carolina is interested in any of those 3 centers. I will definitely set some time aside to look a bit more into the draft. Thanks again!

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Thanks for filling me in on the draft Nugs! I can see why the Bruins could potentially be interested in the #10 pick now. The biggest thing the Bruins have been missing in their system is a potential #1 center which is where Kotkaniemi, Hayton, and Veleno come in. There's also a team in Carolina who is looking for a #1C, so things could get interesting if Carolina is interested in any of those 3 centers. I will definitely set some time aside to look a bit more into the draft. Thanks again!

I think Carolina is interested in an established #1 center right now. Not if one pans out in the next 3-4 years. They have a boatload of Centers that possibly may be #1 centers in the future. I don't see them itching to add another one

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think Carolina is interested in an established #1 center right now. Not if one pans out in the next 3-4 years. They have a boatload of Centers that possibly may be #1 centers in the future. I don't see them itching to add another one
You are right, I forgot about Roy and Necas there for a second. Carolina is deep at LHD, but they might look into building their RD prospect pool. Where I could see Carolina potentially being interested in the #10 pick is if they end up moving Faulk and are interested in Dobson if he falls to #10 or maybe Wilde. But from the sound of things, Carolina is already a very young team, and as an organization, they would like to supplement that young core with players that can help them now. Kind of like a re-tool of the guys that have been on their team for a while now.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
No offense but nonsense! Defensemen peak out at around 28-29 and then for the most part usually have very solid, predictable several years after. Forwards are a very different story. D-Men like McAvoy for instance are not the norm for instance. His play will peak in the next few years, I can see him being a rock for the next 10 years easily.

Absolutely none taken. What you're saying is the "conventional wisdom" but doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Check out How to build a contender – Part 2: the Impact of Aging as well as the other article I linked in my other post. This stuff has been examined over and over, and all of it points to a player's peak being 24/25 regardles of whether they're a forward or a defenseman. That doesn't mean guys aren't valuable or can't contribute after that age, it's just that you have to be aware of it and avoid signing foolish long-term deals past the age where they start to decline. Obviously the exception is for the truly elite players.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Absolutely none taken. What you're saying is the "conventional wisdom" but doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Check out How to build a contender – Part 2: the Impact of Aging as well as the other article I linked in my other post. This stuff has been examined over and over, and all of it points to a player's peak being 24/25 regardles of whether they're a forward or a defenseman. That doesn't mean guys aren't valuable or can't contribute after that age, it's just that you have to be aware of it and avoid signing foolish long-term deals past the age where they start to decline. Obviously the exception is for the truly elite players.

Yeah, except the guy you were referring to (Muzzin) just had his best season and is only signed for two more years, so his age is not even an issue in regards to what you are taking issue with (foolish long term deals).

If the Bruins traded for a 28/29 year old player that was under contract for two more years AND then was thinking about signing them to a long term deal at the age of 30/31, you would have a point.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Carolina: Ryan O’Reilly
Edmonton: Torey Krug, Peter Cehlarik
Buffalo: Oscar Klefbom, Elias Lindholm, 10th overall
Boston: Noah Hanifin

Thinking about posting this on the main board, thoughts?

Every teams needs are really addressed. Recent rumor out of Buffalo says they could trade ROR for younger players who fit their window.

lxndr

Nov 11, 2017

Every teams needs are really addressed. Recent rumor out of Buffalo says they could trade ROR for younger players who fit their window.

It's not a balanced trade. Carolina and Edmonton get too little (especially Carolina). Buffalo gets too much.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Too many teams involved for this to work. Buffalo and Boston make out like bandits while Carolina and Edmonton get too little.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Too many teams involved for this to work. Buffalo and Boston make out like bandits while Carolina and Edmonton get too little.

Maybe switch out Lindholm for Victor Rask who may hold a little less value and give EDM the option to select any one player from Providence? Bjork JFK etc

Donato would hurt to lose but would probably make the most sense but who knows there’s supposedly a pretty big drop off after 9th overall. The value at 10 may be less than previous years.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

It will last less than 24 hours.
When was the last time there was a four team trade?

Video games dont count.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad