Speculation: Who gets traded?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In this hypothetical, rask waives his NMC as well? And this deal sucks for Boston. trading rask makes us a bottom feeder lmao

Absolutely.

Rask for Darling + reeks of Moog for Jon Casey many moons ago.

The Bruins spent over a decade in the goaltending wilderness after moving on from Moog, with a small exception to when Dafoe was here.

Reactions: HustleB

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Is it any less ridiculous than suggesting Danton Heinen as the 3rd line Center next year?

At least Schaller has actually played center at the pro level and taken more than a handful of face-offs.

Schaller had a career year this year at age 27 and his point totals were still 25 points less than Heinen as a rook. Heinen has shown the ability to move up in the lineup, while Schaller is what he is. A serviceable 4th liner, not a 3rd line C. His career FO winning % is 41.8.

Heinen played center for a very good D1 NCAA team that played a tough schedule. I watched roughly 15-20 games over that time and he was used at C in all situations, PK/PP, with the lead and down in the last minutes.

So, yeah Schaller playing 3rd line center is more ridiculous than Heinen.

ps Heinen is also signed for next year. Schaller is not.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Absolutely.

Rask for Darling + reeks of Moog for Jon Casey many moons ago.

The Bruins spent over a decade in the goaltending wilderness after moving on from Moog, with a small exception to when Dafoe was here.

yup, anytime I see a Rask proposal I have PTSD flashbacks to the merry-go-round of Ranford, Tallas, Raycroft, Toivonen, Potvin, Grahame, Shields, Fernandez

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm pretty sure McKenzie was just parrotting what Tom Dundon said in his end of season press conference and didn't have any insider info. Dundon was basically saying it's his job to find better players and even said "If I could find better players than Aho, I would, but I can't" (meaning better players that other teams would give up). He said he'd replace any of them if he could find a better player.

I HIGHLY doubt Slavin is available barring a huge overpayment. IMO, Slavin, Necas and the #2OA pick are a close 2nd to Aho in terms of unavailability. It would likely cost you way more than you'd want to give up.

What are you thoughts on Hanifin. Neely is on record as saying "In an ideal world, if you can find a guy that can skate, retrieve pucks, and is a big body on the backend, that's what we would love to have."

He fit that description?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Justin Faulk but between Neely comment on what they are looking for deal including a Torey Krug/Noah Hanifin is Cam’s next deal

Faulk looks like the early 70’s Burton Cunmings

I remember going to a prom listening to the Best of the Guess Who in dad’s Impala cranking from an 8 track

Where did the time go

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I like Justin Faulk but between Neely comment on what they are looking for deal including a Torey Krug/Noah Hanifin is Cam’s next deal

Faulk looks like the early 70’s Burton Cunmings

I remember going to a prom listening to the Best of the Guess Who in dad’s Impala cranking from an 8 track

Where did the time go

Stay away from Faulk. Moved down to north carolina two years ago, been watching him play and he would instantly be the worst defender in the defensive zone on the bruins. Good offensively, but an absolute disater defensively.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's a value gauge not an actual trade proposal.

Jesus...

Ok then as a value gauge Carolina better be sending back some awful nice players along with Darling that can help Boston win now if they are downgrading their goaltending as drastically as going from Rask to Scott Darling.

Better?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Schaller had a career year this year at age 27 and his point totals were still 25 points less than Heinen as a rook. Heinen has shown the ability to move up in the lineup, while Schaller is what he is. A serviceable 4th liner, not a 3rd line C. His career FO winning % is 41.8.

Heinen played center for a very good D1 NCAA team that played a tough schedule. I watched roughly 15-20 games over that time and he was used at C in all situations, PK/PP, with the lead and down in the last minutes.

So, yeah Schaller playing 3rd line center is more ridiculous than Heinen.

ps Heinen is also signed for next year. Schaller is not.

You are right, it is.

But not by much.

Both suggestions don't make much sense to me. Seriously, how often do we see guys who primarily playing wing at the pro level convert to centers?

I could be wrong but didn't Heinen play all forward positions in Denver? It's not like he was a full-time center his entire amateur career and converted from full-time C to full-time Wing once he became a pro like we see with some prospects.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What are you thoughts on Hanifin. Neely is on record as saying "In an ideal world, if you can find a guy that can skate, retrieve pucks, and is a big body on the backend, that's what we would love to have."

He fit that description?

If by “big body” he means someone that can use his body, that would be a no. Carlo is more physical then Hanifin, and he wants Carlo to be more physical.

I went to NHL.com and sorted Dmen by hits, and then narrowed it further to left shot.

Are you ready for the best LHD that has the combo of physicality, skating, and offense? Ladies and Gents, I give you:

Jake Muzzin

29, in his prime, only makes $4m for two more years. Would be the perfect stop gap until UV is ready.

40+ points, 170 hits, he does it all.

Now, all the B’s have to do is convince LA to deal him :laugh:

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You are right, it is.

But not by much.

Both suggestions don't make much sense to me. Seriously, how often do we see guys who primarily playing wing at the pro level convert to centers?

I could be wrong but didn't Heinen play all forward positions in Denver? It's not like he was a full-time center his entire amateur career and converted from full-time C to full-time Wing once he became a pro like we see with some prospects.

Heinen did play all the F positions, but more C and LW, and he took a lot of the draws. I think he has the 2-way game and smarts to play C in the B’s system.

Just my 2 cents.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
If by “big body” he means someone that can use his body, that would be a no. Carlo is more physical then Hanifin, and he wants Carlo to be more physical.

I went to NHL.com and sorted Dmen by hits, and then narrowed it further to left shot.

Are you ready for the best LHD that has the combo of physicality, skating, and offense? Ladies and Gents, I give you:

Jake Muzzin

29, in his prime, only makes $4m for two more years. Would be the perfect stop gap until UV is ready.

Full on Muzzin man crush here and I think he would be perfect here. LA is deep at D and I think they might be willing to deal him or Martinez if the return is right.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Heinen did play all the F positions, but more C and LW, and he took a lot of the draws. I think he has the 2-way game and smarts to play C in the B’s system.

Just my 2 cents.

I had this discussion early in this thread (or another thread possibly) with DKH about this very thing.

Without repeating it all, as far as Heinen's skill-set translating over to a successful NHL center, that part I am totally in agreement with you.

But just looking at the way this team has developed players, they seem to project guys in certain positions and generally stick to it. And if they don't, it's typically because a projected C proved incapable of playing C at this level they way it needs to be played, but was good enough to play wing, see Spooner, Ryan.

Not the other way around.

All that being said, I'm not going to go so far as to say Heinen playing C at the NHL level is impossible, it could happen and work very well.

But boy, I sure hope that isn't Sweeney's plan for next year. Seems like a pretty big gamble in the short-term if it doesn't work out.

Then again, this is the same franchise that sold David Backes on being a complimentary center to 37 and 46 and ended up essentially an overpaid full-time winger. So who knows what their plans are.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

He fit that description?

Kind of. Hanifin has good size, is a phenomenal skater and started to get a lot more physical this year, but I wouldn't "YET" refer to him as a "Big Body" even with his size. IMO, he was brought to the NHL too soon and it wasn't fair to him, but I saw a lot of strides in his game last year, both offensively, defensively and starting to play more physical. He tailed off at the end of the season though, but frankly, most of the team had tuned out.

Hanifin's skating is his biggest asset. He's got good speed, but his balance, edgework, transitions, are just phenomenal and effortless and he is the best skating defensemen on Carolina. His shot from the point isn't great although he started getting more involved in offense this past season. He's a good passer and has good puck skills, but sometimes I think he hangs onto the puck too long in transition because he's such a good skater, but I think that's just an experience thing.

Where Hanifin is behind a guy like Slavin is his mind. Slavin just makes decisions so quickly and it's almost always the right decision. That was critical in the style Peters played where defensmen pinched regularly and kept very tight gaps in the neutral zone. It was a process that allowed for better possession and kept shots against down, but there was also no margin for error as a mistake could lead to a good scoring chance. Hanfin isn't dumb by any means, but the question is: Will this improve as he gets more experience or does he not have it in him. I think he does have it in him, and worst case, if he doesn't his skills alone would still allow him to be a top 4 D, but he needs that to be the top pairing guy everyone thought he was when he was drafted.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Stay away from Faulk. Moved down to north carolina two years ago, been watching him play and he would instantly be the worst defender in the defensive zone on the bruins. Good offensively, but an absolute disater defensively.
I agree

I was leaving house yesterday and was surprised to see NESN (which I actually had on for the dog) was breaking in to show the press conference. I taped and watched later as well as read Kevin Paul DuPont insightful article on it today.

It sure sounds like Krug sooner or later is odd man out here,

They both had a lot to say in just a few sentences about Marchand ang I agreed with them - Jeremy summed up how I felt,

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

Jake Muzzin

Is...is this satire? Or are you serious?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Jake Muzzin

Muzzin is great I just doubt they’d move him if debrusk wasn’t going back. That’s why I prefer forbort

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
There is not a living person that had that trifecta

I know I didn’t ...

If I’m honest with myself I want White Connor and Konecny.

Hanifin could very well end up a bust. I’m willing to gamble on the upside in this trade is all I’m saying.

Debrusk has played great and I love his game but you have to give to get unless Chia is the other teams GM.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Jake Muzzin

physicality is much more than hits. Its being able to separate players from the puck, win battles in the corner, stand your position in close areas in front of the net, etc.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I know I didn’t ...

If I’m honest with myself I want White Connor and Konecny.

Hanifin could very well end up a bust. I’m willing to gamble on the upside in this trade is all I’m saying.

Debrusk has played great and I love his game but you have to give to get unless Chia is the other teams GM.
I had the basics most had but I had Konecny instead of Connor on HF and Dom told me forget Konecny to Boston so I went vanilla and the obvious Connor

Zboril
Barzal
Connor

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Which part?
All of it?

Muzzin is a fine player, and has great underlying numbers, but a 29-year-old is not "in his prime"...he's leaving it. The Bruins do not need to spend assets on a player who is entering his decline. And using hits to assess a player is absolutely backwards and antiquated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad