Where does Matthews rank ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I'm not here to bash the leafs - your poll is just bad.

McDavid was expected to become the best player in the world (generational) and was well on his way. Matthews doesn't have the same pedigree. As a Leafs fan you can argue he'll be as good/better than McDavid if you like - it still doesn't change that his pedigree is lower, which means he needs more accomplishments.

Finally.

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Kane
Benn
Price
Bob
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Stamkos
Kucherov
Tavares
Bergeron
Seguin
Tarasenko

That's at least 16 players. A very solid case can be made that all of these players are better than Matthews today.

I'll take Barkov's opinion over yours, he by the way plays many of those guys alot.....Carey Price? Guy couldn't stop a beach ball for 3/4 of the season, a couple games and now back on top haha. HF for ya

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The best player but not even in the top 20 scorers? And that excludes the top defensemen. There's just no reasonable basis for that argument.
Not everything is about points. There is much more to the came then scoring. If he had say Drai as a wing or Phil Kessel he would easily be much higher but he plays with Hyman I think and another kid who is growing in Nylander. But I take his all around game compared to McDavid any day. The only thing he has on Mathews is a little speed. I'll the player who gets more points from goals then the guy who hits 100 with 30+ being secondary assists.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not everything is about points. There is much more to the came then scoring. If he had say Drai as a wing or Phil Kessel he would easily be much higher but he plays with Hyman I think and another kid who is growing in Nylander. But I take his all around game compared to McDavid any day. The only thing he has on Mathews is a little speed. I'll the player who gets more points from goals then the guy who hits 100 with 30+ being secondary assists.
Sure. Not everything is about points. But if you're going to argue top 5 then he'd better not be outside the top 20 in points.
And just no. McDavid is a much better player than Matthews. Let's not start with this nonsense again. It's not even reasonably debatable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'll take Barkov's opinion over yours, he by the way plays many of those guys alot.....Carey Price? Guy couldn't stop a beach ball for 3/4 of the season, a couple games and now back on top haha. HF for ya

More like, after being elite for years, he sucked for an 11 game stretch and you wrote him off. That sounds more like HF

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sure. Not everything is about points. But if you're going to argue top 5 then he'd better not be outside the top 20 in points.
And just no. McDavid is a much better player than Matthews. Let's not start with this nonsense again. It's not even reasonably debatable.

Let's just purposely ignore he missed 4 games and was playing not close to 100% in several others. Like it or not he is one of the very best players in the NHL.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Agreed. I have him in my top 20.
As for missing a few games, so have lots of players.

Not a single player ahead of Matthews in points has missed a game and he missed 4 while playing hurt in a few others. Anyway I'm delighted to hear you have him in your top 20 but then again this isn't rookie Matthews we're talking about.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not a single player ahead of Matthews in points has missed a game and he missed 4 while playing hurt in a few others. Anyway I'm delighted to hear you have him in your top 20 but then again this isn't rookie Matthews we're talking about.
Agreed. He's dropped off a bit from his rookie year. Boeser has missed about the same amount of games and is a point behind Matthews. Should be a geat race between the two.
As for playing hurt I'm sure most have played hurt.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Agreed. He's dropped off a bit from his rookie year. Boeser has missed about the same amount of games and is a point behind Matthews. Should be a geat race between the two.
As for playing hurt I'm sure most have played hurt.

Lol.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Who had the better rookie season? Who has the better line mates? The season isn't even halfway over. Who would you say is the better player Panarin or Josh Anderson? Because 1 has 10 goals and missed the 1st game of the year and just barely started getting pp time. I don't know where Kane is but I don' think he' having a great season but I wouldn't take him out of the conversation. Crosby is being mentioned and I have him top 10 but he's not as good as he was I'd take Ovi before him these days.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who had the better rookie season? Who has the better line mates? The season isn't even halfway over. Who would you say is the better player Panarin or Josh Anderson? Because 1 has 10 goals and missed the 1st game of the year and just barely started getting pp time. I don't know where Kane is but I don' think he' having a great season but I wouldn't take him out of the conversation. Crosby is being mentioned and I have him top 10 but he's not as good as he was I'd take Ovi before him these days.
Like I said I think Matthews is a really good player. I could see an argument for top 15. I have him around 20.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Really though?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Like I said I think Matthews is a really good player. I could see an argument for top 15. I have him around 20.
If he's 20 I'd be scared to know who is ahead of him... The guy has played a season and a quarter and had one of the best rookie seasons of my lifetime. Hell he scored 4 in his 1st game and took a shitty leafs team into the playoffs. If he's 20 does McDavid make your top 25? If hope. Who is your top goalie and defense on tgis list?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Really though?
I legit thin he is the best player but it's REALLLLLY close with Kane. Honestly I still might have Kane a smidge higher if I'm being 100% honest but depending on what Mathews finishes this year as good or better then last year it would be lying saying he's not the best.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Looks like about 62% feel he is at least top 10. seems about right.
I have him at 5 now, and as high as #3 as soon as next season

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I wasn't the one putting him on the trade board bud

So I'm not quite following your point then. The overreaction was to his poor spell, not his recent play, whether it was you or others. That means he should still be up near the top, whether or not that's before or after Matthews (I'm not sure any goalie should be top 10, but it's tough to compare to skaters)

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
in a Crosby poll, should OP give an outside top 15 option? dont be ridiculous

When Matthews puts in the body of work that Crosby has over a decade I would agree with you. But after what 110+ games played so far? No way. A outside of Top 15 is absolutely warranted because at this moment in time that's where he belongs. In a few years I have no doubt he will be top 10.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I legit thin he is the best player but it's REALLLLLY close with Kane. Honestly I still might have Kane a smidge higher if I'm being 100% honest but depending on what Mathews finishes this year as good or better then last year it would be lying saying he's not the best.

Wait, you think Ovechkin is the best player in the league?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Wait, you think Ovechkin is the best player in the league?
No Kane then Mathews and I'd have Kucherov as third. Goalie I think Bob is playing like a top 10 player. Ovie is also top 10 though he's at like 19? On the season already. McDavid if have at 5.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looks like about 62% feel he is at least top 10. seems about right.
I have him at 5 now, and as high as #3 as soon as next season
I'd say the consensus is top 10-15.
Almost every person who has him top 5 is a Leaf fan. I really don't think there's any objective basis to have him at top 5 right now when he's just in the top 30 or so scorers. Lots of potential but let's wait until he gets there.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
[mod]

I voted top 10 (7-10)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad