Where does Matthews rank ?

Where does Matthews rank ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
When Matthews puts in the body of work that Crosby has over a decade I would agree with you. But after what 110+ games played so far? No way. A outside of Top 15 is absolutely warranted because at this moment in time that's where he belongs. In a few years I have no doubt he will be top 10.

so the same for mcdavid then?

ridiculous

as I said, I refuse to put a poll of outside top 15 for a kid that led the league in ES goals as a rookie,
and looks like a 45g/90+ pt 2 way center in his 2nd year.

don't like it? don't vote and exit thread

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Garbage OP. Why start with an flame sentence "some leaf fans think he is the best player in the world, but i don't".

Why not.... Where does matthews rank? I have him at ____ here is why......
Also..... Unrelated Garbage OP. "some leaf fans think he is the best player in the world, but i don't think so....." Obvious to inspire hate, leaf avatar or not. Why not.

Where does Matthews rank in the NHL? Don't have to add a throw away
Also..... Unrelated Garbage OP. "some leaf fans think he is the best player in the world, but i don't think so....." Obvious to inspire hate, leaf avatar or not. Why not.

Where does Matthews rank in the NHL? Don't have to add a throw away

hey krazy, a bit of reading comprehension is required here. I clearly stated in one of the first comments I have Matthews #5

"inspire hate" looks like you are doing enough off that with your ignorant comment.

ignore list

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Crosby is the 1/2 best player with years of great play. Matthews doesn't have a track record, he's even getting outscored by Kessel aka hot dog boy...

>2016
Matthews 69 points
Kessel 70 points

>2017
Matthews 26 points
Kessel 32 points

Do you consider Kessel to be a top 15 player?

SO you are seriousl gonna compare a 31 year old winger who lines up on a PP with Crosby and Malkin, to a 20 year old kid that led the league in ES goals as a 19 year old rookie?

you need to try harder. ptsd arent everything. AM34 >>> Kessel and i doubt many would argue that. just an all around better player, goal scorer etc. WHen he gets prime PP time like Kessel, his numbers will sky rocket.

how many times has kessel scored 40?

How long did it take Kessel to get 69 pts?

exit thread now please. the saltiness is too obvious

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
gotta LOL at all the ppl wanting a outside top 15 option as another reason to slag the leafs.

62% think he is top 10 or better. enough silliness and admit this kid is already top 10 despite only being 110 games in
Mcdavid was annointed the best player in the league at the same age

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
gotta LOL at all the ppl wanting a outside top 15 option as another reason to slag the leafs.

62% think he is top 10 or better. enough silliness and admit this kid is already top 10 despite only being 110 games in
If you want to put up a poll and get all whiney and snappy if people don't have your own opinion (and plenty don't), you shouldn't start a thread like this.
And enough with the victim / persecution complex by some Toronto fans: that spiel was never cute to begin with, now it's getting cringe worthy.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

ridiculous

as I said, I refuse to put a poll of outside top 15 for a kid that led the league in ES goals as a rookie,

#1 - McDavid's body of work after 110 games or so was him being the 3rd best in PPG. Matthews is 17th. No comparison there.

#2 - Being a rookie is meaningless is a "best player" discussion, ES vs. PP goals is equally meaningless

#3 - His 2-way play is off the charts overhyped. If he gets some serious Selke votes, then that element can be considered when comparing him to other players with similar production.

He is a Top 5 goalscorer, a Top 5ish #1C, a Top Tennish forward.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

This poll should be closed and deleted.
62%? That' because a large majority of people haven' voted because they don' see a valid option.

If you had an option outside top 15 odds are it'd get a ton of votes and your 62% would be cut in half.

Hey I think I'm going to create a thread asking if Pacioretty is a top 3 or top top winger in the league. I'll feel good about it after because a set % of voters will think he' either/or due to lack of other options

Cool!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
SO you are seriousl gonna compare a 31 year old winger who lines up on a PP with Crosby and Malkin, to a 20 year old kid that led the league in ES goals as a 19 year old rookie?

you need to try harder. ptsd arent everything. AM34 >>> Kessel and i doubt many would argue that. just an all around better player, goal scorer etc. WHen he gets prime PP time like Kessel, his numbers will sky rocket.

Why do Leaf fans keep bringing up age and rookie scoring in a debate about where he currently ranks as a player? It's completely irrelevant. He's an elite player, but you guys keep basing your arguments on stats and benchmarks that would never fly in any other comparison. Even if you value ES play more, why look at just goals? And sure Matthews is limited by less PP time, but he hasn't been as efficient as other elite players in the time he does get. Matthews hit 40 goals, but because it's a nice, round number, it's somehow significantly better than scoring in the high 30s, who might be a better playmaker. And if anyone questions these things, they're just being haters or need to watch him play.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Really dumb poll. There's no reasonable argument for putting him top 3 or top 5 right now and the OP shouldn't have provided those options. That just encourages Leaf homers who were almost the only ones who voted for those options.
Clearly Crosby, McDavid, Malkin, Stamkos, Kucherov, Tavares, Doughty and Karlsson are better at this point and it's not really arguable. Matthews is in the top 30 scorers and not all that close to the top guys. Then you have some other forwards and young defensemen like Hedman where it's personal preference.

Now, if the question was who would you pick to build a team around then absolutely top 3 or 5 is a good option and I would put Matthews in my top 3.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Really dumb poll. There's no reasonable argument for putting him top 3 or top 5 right now and the OP shouldn't have provided those options. That just encourages Leaf homers who were almost the only ones who voted for those options.
Clearly Crosby, McDavid, Malkin, Stamkos, Kucherov, Tavares, Doughty and Karlsson are better at this point and it's not really arguable. Matthews is in the top 30 scorers and not all that close to the top guys. Then you have some other forwards and young defensemen like Hedman where it's personal preference.

Now, if the question was who would you pick to build a team around then absolutely top 3 or 5 is a good option and I would put Matthews in my top 3.
I'll take Matthews over Tavares right now.

Reactions: Menzinger

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012

This is exactly what it is. We're talking best player or holds the highest value? I would put him top-3 considering his age/potential/wage and etc as how much value he holds. I wouldn't put him top-20 in the league if we're talking pure skills/achievement/contribution to his team

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

ridiculous

When Matthews wins a hart, and ross and leads the league in points we'll talk.

Matthews is a great young talent that some leafs fans seems to be determined to make sure that most hockey fans outside of Toronto will hate. This poll is silly without having a outside top 15 for a kid that is not even in the top 20 at this time.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is exactly what it is. We're talking best player or holds the highest value? I would put him top-3 considering his age/potential/wage and etc as how much value he holds. I wouldn't put him top-20 in the league if we're talking pure skills/achievement/contribution to his team
No that wasn't the poll question.
Here it is:
'Is he the best player in the world? Some leaf fans believe it, I dont think so'
so where does AM34 slide in with the likes of...'

It's as ridiculous to have top 5 as an option as it is to have top 30.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Why are you bringing up age, how many times Kessel scored 40 or how long it took to get 69 points... in a discussion about who's a top 15 player RIGHT NOW? The only relevant stats are from this season and last

It's also silly to bring up Crosby and Malkin on the powerplay:

2017 PP%
Leafs = 2nd
Pens = 4th

2016 PP%
Pens = 4th
Leafs = 5th

You pretend like the Pens lead the league in PP% by a big margin over the Leafs so its some huge advantage. In reality, Matthews and Kessel have equal powerplays to play on.

So what's your excuse now?

Reactions: libertarian

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think the sky's the limit for Matthews but not having outside the top 15 is strange. He'll be there soon enough but not sure if he is yet. If you wanted to win a game tomorrow there's a lot of players you could argue give you a better chance.

Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, Doughty, Getzlaf, Kucherov, P. Kane, Bergeron, Stamkos, McDavid, Marchand, Tavares, Gaudreau, Scheiffle, Tarasenko, Hall, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Benn, Seguin, Barkov, Pietrangelo, Backstrom, Subban, Burns

You can argue for or against a lot of these players (and I'm sure I'm missing some) - just that there's some very excellent players whom don't reside in Toronto.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
No that wasn't the poll question.
Here it is:
'Is he the best player in the world? Some leaf fans believe it, I dont think so'
so where does AM34 slide in with the likes of...'

It's as ridiculous to have top 5 as an option as it is to have top 30.
If I wasn't clear in my previous post I totally agree with you

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why are you bringing up age, how many times Kessel scored 40 or how long it took to get 69 points... in a discussion about who's a top 15 player RIGHT NOW? The only relevant stats are from this season and last

It's also silly to bring up Crosby and Malkin on the powerplay:

2017 PP%
Leafs = 2nd
Pens = 4th

2016 PP%
Pens = 4th
Leafs = 5th

You pretend like the Pens lead the league in PP% by a big margin over the Leafs so its some huge advantage. In reality, Matthews and Kessel have equal powerplays to play on.

So what's your excuse now?
Uhh...doesn't Kessel have double the amount of powerplay time?? :dunno:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Then why the f*** make a poll with that option if you don't like the results?

Even more ridiculous are the 14 Leafs fans who are voting him as a top three player, but you don't seem to call them out for being a homer. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->