Where does Matthews rank ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Is he the best player in the world? Some leaf fans believe it, I dont think so

top 3? top 5? top 10?

2016-2017: 40g/69pts in 82 games, led league in ES goals, 2nd in total goals, Calder winner, set NHL record in 1st game, led 30th place team to playoffs

2017-2018: 13g/26pts, +13 in 23 games (46g/92pt full season pace). leafs sit with 35pts, tied for 2nd with STL, 1 pt behind tampa

NHL totals (Incl. playoffs) 57goals/43a/100pts in 111 games

so where does AM34 slide in with the likes of Crosby,Mcdavid,Karlsson, Kucherov, Stamkos, OV, Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Hedman, Kane etc?

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Tail end of top 10, maybe just outside but I’m generally pretty conversative of giving out top ranks to players who has played 1,25 seasons, no matter their pedigree. The only reason I’m giving McDavid a bit of leeway is even if it was just 1 year, he was actually THE best player that year.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I have him top 5 with only McDavid,Crosby,Karlsson and Stamkos ahead.
strong cases can be made for Kucherov and Gaudreau to be top 5 IMHO

so AM34 likely somewhere between 4-8

Reactions: Laineux

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I went with Top 15, but he is trending toward the Top 10. I'm slower to judge than most.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
every fan base has those.

I saw an oilers fan say he wouldnt trade Mcdavid for the leafs entire roster....lol

True, but he's been getting a lot of these comments recently. Having potential to become the best in the future is a good enough thing.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Very arrogant of you to not offer an option outside of top 15. He's still only 20 games into his 2nd season.

there arent 15 guys better than matthews. thats beyond silly.
sorry if i didnt tickle the fancy of those who come on here just to bash down the leafs.

Mcdavid was annointed the best in the world at the same age as Matthews. would you have said he wasnt top 15 when he was on his way to the art ross?

nah, get lost

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
sorry if i didnt tickle the fancy of those who come on here just to bash down the leafs.

Mcdavid was annointed the best in the world at the same age as Matthews. would you have said he wasnt top 15 when he was on his way to the art ross?

nah, get lost

I voted top 10, but not offering that option is a very bad look on you.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Between 10 and 15. That said he is obviously on his way up there, I just wont vote for top 10 when a guy played a year or so.

Actually thinking about it id probably rank him just outside of top 15 but since that isnt an option in your biased poll ill just vote for lowest possible.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

nah, get lost

McDavid was leading the league in scoring and had the 2nd best PPG in the year and 25 games he had played. Matthews is currently a Top 15 PPG for this season and has the 20th best PPG in the year and 25 games he has played. There is no reasonable comparison to be made here.

If he finishes the year at his pace, he will be a Top 5 goalscorer and Top 15 scorer. This likely puts him in the Top 10 forwards but factoring in goalies and D-men, outside the Top 15 is not an unreasonable position.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Top 10 IMO

The top three is Kucherov McDavid and Stamkos. The remainder of the top 10 is up for debate with the likes of Crosby, Karlsson, Hedman, Tavares, Gaudreau, and the subject of this very poll.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Oh.. I allmost voted for top-10 as i thought this was only about centers. Had to go with Top-15 as Matthews should/would most likely be in top-10, but i want few seasons from him first.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

nah, get lost
I'm not here to bash the leafs - your poll is just bad.

McDavid was expected to become the best player in the world (generational) and was well on his way. Matthews doesn't have the same pedigree. As a Leafs fan you can argue he'll be as good/better than McDavid if you like - it still doesn't change that his pedigree is lower, which means he needs more accomplishments.

Finally.

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Kane
Benn
Price
Bob
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Stamkos
Kucherov
Tavares
Bergeron
Seguin
Tarasenko

That's at least 16 players. A very solid case can be made that all of these players are better than Matthews today.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I would like to think he is in the top 15. there are many players I would put in the top 10 before him but he is knocking on the door.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm not here to bash the leafs - your poll is just bad.

McDavid was expected to become the best player in the world (generational) and was well on his way. Matthews doesn't have the same pedigree. As a Leafs fan you can argue he'll be as good/better than McDavid if you like - it still doesn't change that his pedigree is lower, which means he needs more accomplishments.

Finally.

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Kane
Benn

Price
Bob
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Stamkos
Kucherov
Tavares
Bergeron
Seguin
Tarasenko

That's at least 16 players. A very solid case can be made that all of these players are better than Matthews today.

Bolded = :laugh: :laugh:

Plus goalies which how can you even compare them?

Nevermind several very debatable guys in there, especially when looking at this season. However in no world are the bolded better, and there really isn't an argument. Matthews is a similar offensive player as them with a much more complete game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad