Where does Matthews rank ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'll say the lower end of top 10. Its a tough list to crack

Edit: Now that I'm thinking of the top 10 players themselves, I wish I voted top 15

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
These same posters are pretty dead set on the idea that Matthews isn't one of the best players in the league. Just absolutely must hate the guy.

Reactions: Voight

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Top 3 or 4 forwards. I won't say 1st or 4th just because I think they change from week to week this season, there isn't a clear one now like there used to be when Crosby was at his peak.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Can we make a rule to not make "Matthews is top 10" threads until he at least enters the top 10 in scoring for more than the first month of a season?

Top be fair he was just outside the top 10 as a rookie, and with a 10 game goal drought. So he was pretty close as a 19 year old.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Top be fair he was just outside the top 10 as a rookie, and with a 10 game goal drought. So he was pretty close as a 19 year old.

He was 20th. In terms of PPG he was 29th.
That's not close to top 10 IMO.

This year he's 19th in PPG and tied for 28th in scoring thanks to missing a few games.

I like Matthews, he's going to be a great player. I don't have him near the top 15 players in the league just yet.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He was 20th. In terms of PPG he was 29th.
That's not close to top 10 IMO.

This year he's 19th in PPG and tied for 28th in scoring thanks to missing a few games.

I like Matthews, he's going to be a great player. I don't have him near the top 15 players in the league just yet.

He was 5 points out of the top 10. That's close IMO.

he was "20th" because there were players in front of him who were tied.

He was 2nd in goal as well (no small task)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

he was "20th" because there were players in front of him who were tied.

But that's the point though. If there are so many players in that 15-20 range scoring that they should be close - why does Matthews get to bypass them all? You said he's 5 points out of top 10 - does that mean he gets to be called better than those above him because it's close? What about those within 5 points of him behind - shouldn't they also be ranked above Matthews by that logic since its close? That's a lot of players.

He doesn't have the track record to bypass those guys yet by defautl, as a Crosby might if he was 5 points out of top 10.

In terms of career projection? Sure, 100%. Project him to surpass anyone in the league today minus maybe McDavid if you want. But currently today - he doesn't have the track record yet to be a shoe-in top 15 player. Can it be argued he is? Yes. Shoe-in? No. Does this thread therefore suck? Yup.

Reactions: BruinLVGA and PuckG

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

I guess you could look at it that way, and he was 19. Ridiculously impressive. Still, my point is that there are 20 or so players capable of scoring more points than him. In addition, if we are talking "players", there are certainly other players I would take over Matthews because of things other than scoring (guys like Doughty, Bergeron, Price, etc.).

No argument here.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
But that's the point though. If there are so many players in that 15-20 range scoring that they should be close - why does Matthews get to bypass them all? You said he's 5 points out of top 10 - does that mean he gets to be called better than those above him because it's close? What about those within 5 points of him behind - shouldn't they also be ranked above Matthews by that logic since its close? That's a lot of players.

Being 2nd in goals is probably a good reason, and while I hate to speculate, IMO he very well could have won the Richard if he hadn't gone scoreless for 1/8th of the season.

It really goes either way, some will say hes top 15, some wont. This time next year, there will be no debate IMO.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Being 2nd in goals is probably a good reason, and while I hate to speculate, IMO he very well could have won the Richard if he hadn't gone scoreless for 1/8th of the season.

It really goes either way, some will say hes top 15, some wont. This time next year, there will be no debate IMO.

1/8th of the season = 10 games. Everybody in the league goes scoreless for at least 10 games.
To not go scoreless for 1/8th of the season, one has to score at least 73 goals. That hasn't happened in eons.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
1/8th of the season = 10 games. Everybody in the league goes scoreless for at least 10 games.
To not go scoreless for 1/8th of the season, one has to score at least 73 goals. That hasn't happened in eons.

10 straight games without a goal. Something he didn't do before or since IIRC. I worded that wrong.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He's referring to the 13 straight game drought he had. He hit numerous posts and missed tons of open nets during that stretch, but I'm not sure that can be used as a positive for him. He also had another 7 game streak with no goals. It is crazy that a player could have those droughts and still finish 2nd in the NHL in goals though.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Yes being 2nd in goal was fantastic.

And yes - it *can* go either way. Some say he is top 15, some say he won't. I agree. Which again, is why this thread sucks. It doesn't give an option to say he's not top 15.

Lovedemfanboys

Oct 25, 2017
He's referring to the 13 straight game drought he had. He hit numerous posts and missed tons of open nets during that stretch, but I'm not sure that can be used as a positive for him. He also had another 7 game streak with no goals. It is crazy that a player could have those droughts and still finish 2nd in the NHL in goals though.

How is it a solid argument tho? Every player hits posts, and I don´t see difference between going through long drought and missing the net every other game.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
AM34 is tied for 14-24th in goals this year, didn't count expected goals for xGF or other stats as prefer to go with goals that actually went in the net.

Reactions: snipes

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Trash poll with poor options to pick from. Around top-15, which seems to be a direct insult to pollmaker and other leaf fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->