Where does Matthews rank ?

Where does Matthews rank ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
gives opinion. There is correlation! Because that's how data works.

lol I said "pretty sure," I made it clear it was an opinion. You're the one who definitively said "there's no correlation." I'm of the opinion Crosby would score less points per game if he got 10 minutes of ice time instead of his current 20 minutes. I'll go out on that limb.

Edit: Oh my god, I just saw that you were so proud of the original post you copy + pasted it in multiple threads.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He is the best player currently in the game. Saying that as someone who has no horse in the race at the moment unless you throw Bob in there because what he has done over the past 2 years as a goalie for the jackets is crazy he.may be able to be up for the Hart a 2nd time.

But Mathews IMO is the best overall talent. If put Kucherov and Kane as the next 2. McDavid and Ovi to fill out the 5. Then Crosby Stamkos and a few others for top 10.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
lol I said "pretty sure," I made it clear it was an opinion. You're the one who definitively said "there's no correlation." I'm of the opinion Crosby would score less points per game if he got 10 minutes of ice time instead of his current 20 minutes. I'll go out on that limb.

In no way shape or form should Matthews be compared to Crosby in any context.

But to your point about TOI, are you saying that Babcock is not using Matthews to his full effectiveness? If you put him on the Oilers, does he score more with more icetime or would his point totals be affected by the weakness of the team around him?

And its way to early for this thread anyways. He looks like a prospective Top 5 player, maybe better. But thats it for now.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

But to your point about TOI, are you saying that Babcock is not using Matthews to his full effectiveness? If you put him on the Oilers, does he score more with more icetime or would his point totals be affected by the weakness of the team around him?

And its way to early for this thread anyways. He looks like a prospective Top 5 player, maybe better. But thats it for now.

Big. Freaking. Time.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The oilers were seen as a cup favorite and finalist at the start of the season. They were (for like the third time) the new dynasty. you can't just say.... well the oilers are a weak team as if they lack talent now, because they were seen as loaded like 8 weeks ago. They are mentally weak and underperforming. Who knows what the teams would look like if they switched.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

The hell? You brought up Crosby as part of some weird "more ice time doesn't help PPG" argument. I never compared them. I used his name in a complete hypothetical in that any player would score less with dramatically less ice time.

Reactions: Garthinater

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Let me clarify, I don't either engage with posters who're clearly going way off the deep end but it's still something I see and I recognize the idiocy which in turn creates a negative connotation to Matthews. Trust me, if this same **** keeps going for a while longer the vast majority of this board will turn on Matthews. That in returns creates lower quality discussion which in return pisses over my HF experience. Matthews is one of my favorite players in the league and I like chatting about him and following him but some of the cronies make it almost impossible. It's similar effect as there was with Laine last season (absolutely love him too). Even if I were to completely ignore the posts there's still so much of them that majority on this board will notice them and it will have effect on how the player himself will be viewed here.

i'm a new member on this board for posting but have been reading it for a year or two, the one thing i realized very soon was there isn't a whole lot of objectivity. it's not about to change any time in the near future is my guess.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Crosby is the 1/2 best player with years of great play. Matthews doesn't have a track record, he's even getting outscored by Kessel aka hot dog boy...

>2016
Matthews 69 points
Kessel 70 points

>2017
Matthews 26 points
Kessel 32 points

Do you consider Kessel to be a top 15 player?

lmao this is a joke right? Or do you truly not understand why that's a ridiculous comparison?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
When one just thought of making a snarky but yet smart comment and it's about to backfire in 3... 2... 1...

The problem with your statement is that Crosby, in his THIRTEEN seasons in the league has:
- WON -> 3 Cups, 2 Hart, 2 Rocket Richard (+ he is the reigning Rocket Richard winner), 2 Conn Smythe (he is also the reigning Conn Smythe winner), 2 Art Ross, 2 Pearson.
Outside of NHL stuff, he also won: 2 Olympic gold medals, 1 IIHF WC, 1 WJC, 1 NHL WC.
- BEEN NOMINATED -> 4 times to the 1st All Star team, 3 times to the 2nd All Star team (including for the last season).
- 1054 points over 809 games (1.30 ppg over his career, so far), with a high of 120 points and a total of three seasons over 100 points.

ALL THAT is why an outside top 15 option would NOT be needed for Sidney Crosby._Because he has been top 1-2 since he entered the league and HE STILL IS, by virtue of what he does/achieves. But if you don't believe it, put up a poll like this one for Crosby and see the results for yourself. Go ahead.

Now make a resume for Auston "I have a Disney-like lion tattoo, complete with a cartoonish crown" Matthews and let me know if it comes even nearly close to Crosby's, or at least enough to justify not having an outside of the top 15 option for a poll on hfboards.
Oh and by the way, there's folks in this thread who believe he is not top 15 just yet. So even, by the very own words of other posters, a not top 15 option was needed.

Now dispute any of this, go ahead. "Ridiculous" he says. That's rich.

Ah, interesting. so where do you rank this player in terms of the best players in the NHL?

5 Art Ros Trophy wins
1 Hart Trophy win
2x Stanley Cup Champion
2nd most points all time
3rd most goals all time

I guess Jagr must be the best player in the NHL AINEC right now eh? Jagr >> McDavid. Jagr >> Crosby because oh baby look at that resume!

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Ah, interesting. so where do you rank this player in terms of the best players in the NHL?

5 Art Ros Trophy wins
1 Hart Trophy win
2x Stanley Cup Champion
2nd most points all time
3rd most goals all time

I guess Jagr must be the best player in the NHL AINEC right now eh? Jagr >> McDavid. Jagr >> Crosby because oh baby look at that resume!
Did you miss all those bolded parts? Those are the parts that list Crosby's CURRENT achievements. I thought that using bold would make it unmistakable for everyone. I tried to point out the important parts for even the "weakest link(s)". But you still missed it. Get up to speed, will ya?

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
there arent 15 guys better than matthews. thats beyond silly.
sorry if i didnt tickle the fancy of those who come on here just to bash down the leafs.

Mcdavid was annointed the best in the world at the same age as Matthews. would you have said he wasnt top 15 when he was on his way to the art ross?

nah, get lost
Better than Matthews:

Crosby
McDavid
Scheifele
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Kopitar
Kane
Benn
Seguin
Gaudreau
Kucherov
Stamkos
Tavares
Malkin

Reactions: Kismet

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sorry I misread the poll. I thought it was where does he rank amongst forwards. If it's all players then I don't think there is anyway he makes the top 15. Probably in the 20's right now.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Top-5 votes has to be jokes rigtht?

5 centers ahead of him right now; Crosby, Mcdavid, Stamkos, Tavares, Schiefele. Kopitar and Bergeron are probably ahead of him aswell.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think he is in the 10-15 range right now. I would think he will work his way into the top 5 in the next few years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He is the best player currently in the game. Saying that as someone who has no horse in the race at the moment unless you throw Bob in there because what he has done over the past 2 years as a goalie for the jackets is crazy he.may be able to be up for the Hart a 2nd time.

But Mathews IMO is the best overall talent. If put Kucherov and Kane as the next 2. McDavid and Ovi to fill out the 5. Then Crosby Stamkos and a few others for top 10.

This cannot be unless you're a biased Leafs fan though?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The only definites in my top 10 would probably be McDavid, Crosby, Malkin and Karlsson. Matthews is in the mix, but I think top 15 is a good description as I think he can be argued just inside or just outside the top 10 depending on what you value. Lots of great players right now.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The best player but not even in the top 20 scorers? And that excludes the top defensemen. There's just no reasonable basis for that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad