GDT: WHC QF - Finland vs Slovakia

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Congrats Suomi! Fantastic! Now vs US. A heavy but suitable opponent in Semis.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Oh comon ffs. We're finally competetive with good offensive hockey and that's a systematic signature of the coaching team. Sure there is room for improvement, but if you can't see it iteratively being better every year then get some eyewash.
This is like Finland C or D team, right. And that offensive hockey generated exactly “what” on the powerplay? Is the overall hockey better, of course. But why are guys like Janosik, Grman, Lunter, Lantosi on this team? The 2 dman in particular, I’ll take guys that I have seen 50+ times this year in Slovak league over them. An important skill of dman is breaking the puck out, no?

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
But I'm happy for the Finns and Finland for this win. Unfortunately my dream final Switzerland - Finland is over as Switzerland as usual lost against the quarterfinal against USA.
Ok, so I still have Finland to cheer for.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought his offensive game would have developed more but he hasn't improved much, some games he can be lights out great though, but he seems to not trust his own abilities for some reason, damn shame.

Dallas has been one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL.

This talk here is silly

Reactions: AppalachianFinn13

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Unfortunately I didn't see the game but according to the statistics Finns had especially in the first period big problems to find in the game. They were outplayed by Slovakia. Is it correct?
Fins played trap for 60 minutes, most of the game was played in Slovak o-zone or mid ice, Slovaks could have won and no one would have been shocked by the eye test, but as someone said on this board... hockey is a simple game. 40 people chase a puck around a rink for 60 minutes, and in the end Finland wins.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
So many players with zero iq. Funny how Slovak league guys show and play better than supposed better euro league players

Grman comes to mind, he is OK bottom pair defender in a lower Liiga teams. Would not fit to better teams, i keep on wondering why he is always in NT.
Pospisil/Skalicky on the other hand are top notch players in all euro leagues but both have em issues with NT.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I have to say: If there's one team I wouldn't feel bad losing against, it's Slovakia. A sympathetic team full of sympathetic players who play pretty darn entertaining hockey.

So in many ways, this game was a win-win - would have had a team to root for in the semis either way.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
This is like Finland C or D team, right. And that offensive hockey generated exactly “what” on the powerplay? Is the overall hockey better, of course. But why are guys like Janosik, Grman, Lunter, Lantosi on this team? The 2 dman in particular, I’ll take guys that I have seen 50+ times this year in Slovak league over them. An important skill of dman is breaking the puck out, no?

Why is someone on the team over someone else? Because that someone else either couldn't come or would not be capable of playing Ramsay's system. I remember 2 prior decades where coaching staff took players that were statistically better, but their style of play was not suitable for national team success.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Slovakia is always so annoying opponent for us. Maybe next year they finally beat us. But for now.. not yet

Arrogant.
Nah, he wouldn't have said if we lost. Its just how we are confident in our game and we can win the game. He also complimented Slovakia in that interview.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
2-0 and nothing changed, they just play that same game what they always do. They will trust until the bitter end that they will get the result needed, grinding with 4 lines.

Many teams will get into panic mode, take lot of penalties etc. but they just keep their cool and grind like it was 0-0, result will come and it did.

Obviously Anttila stepped up like always in these games.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Ok Slovakia seemed to has been a very difficult opponent. The Finns won this game only in the third period, if they hadn't had Anttila the game had been lost very likely.

This year I hope Finland wins the title at their home WHC. Concerning Switzerland I'm giving up the hope they will ever win the title.

For Slovakia I wish them and their fans that they can win the title in another year.

Reactions: FinPanda

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Let me put it this way: Finns have great players and are not bound to play this ultra-defensive hockey. I am kinda surprised that Finnish fans tolerate it. It is true that they are successful with this. But that's about it. I hope that hockey will not go in this direction. It´s terrible to watch.

Reactions: Zub and tobu

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finns celebrating the win by mocking swedes all over the internet. Nice sportmanship guys.
My sincerest apologies on behalf of my countrymen. We're not all like that. At the very least, they should save it for the occasions Finland beats Sweden.

Also, my warmest congratulations for winning the "Best Rasmus Dahlin in the World Award" for the fifth year in a row.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Where exactly? Examples please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad