GDT: WHC QF - Finland vs Slovakia

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Finns celebrating the win by mocking swedes all over the internet. Nice sportmanship guys.
I wouldn’t. Stupid stuff really. Tough brake for Sweden. You had a pretty damn good team, but I’m not so convinced about your coach. Maybe it changes with the new coach? Better luck for you in the next tournament - until you meet Finland in the final. ;)

But anyway, not all of us Finns are that bad with winning as you saw. Please give some credit for the reasonable Finns that do exist too.

Reactions: FinPanda

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Let me put it this way: Finns have great players and are not bound to play this ultra-defensive hockey. I am kinda surprised that Finnish fans tolerate it. It is true that they are successful with this. But that's about it. I hope that hockey will not go in this direction. It´s terrible to watch.
It's not ultra-defensive hockey. Whole ideology of this Finnish playstyle is to have puck control, aka have the puck more than the opponent, without puck it's tough to score.

Team that controls middle of the ice is usually stronger, because it's best to attack through there. Finns block it, that simple.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Let me put it this way: Finns have great players and are not bound to play this ultra-defensive hockey. I am kinda surprised that Finnish fans tolerate it. It is true that they are successful with this. But that's about it. I hope that hockey will not go in this direction. It´s terrible to watch.
We really don't have the skill to do a goal scoring competition with teams like Canada and USA. This style works for us and why we have success with Euro players. It may be annoying for other countries but would you really complain if you just have have had an olympic gold, WHC gold and WHC silver in past 3 years and we have another chance to make it into the final.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So where are those Finns who wanted Mörkö Anttila gone from the team? Raise your hands up or we will go digging the old posts. We will hunt you down. Did anyone write any names down :)?

How many more WHC tournaments did Anttila just earn himself? 3? He'll probably quit by himself before we get to kick him out. That's what the biggest stars do, quit at the top by their own will.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Well that's just stupid and doesn't represent Finns as whole. Unnecessary comment.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Swedes used to mock us when we lost. Its just that it has to be in good taste. Just after loss, almost nothing feels a good taste for other side. I remember Swedish media making headlines about golden ananas rings given to Finland, because they never win gold.

Reactions: kirppu and FinPanda

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Swedes used to mock us when we lost. Its just that it has to be in good taste. Just after loss, almost nothing feels a good taste for other side. I remember Swedish media making headlines about golden ananas rings given to Finland, because they never win gold.
Swedish media has been the worst in the past. But I remember Finnish media doing it as well, so it was both sides. I feel like both have calmed down a lot since then.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Swedish media has been the worst in the past. But I remember Finnish media doing it as well, so it was both sides. I feel like both have calmed down a lot since then.
Yeah it's like a vicious circle, but usually it's brotherly love. Both sides sometimes take it too far.

It can be done with good taste, unfortunately some individuals are unable to do it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I remember Swedish media making headlines about golden ananas rings given to Finland, because they never win gold.
That was after Turin 2006. And yeah, it takes the top (or, rather, the bottom) in low blows. There's a line between some good-natured joshing and delivering hard kicks to the one who's already down and hurting. With steel-tipped boots. (And even that is a generous comparison. This one was more like sticking a running chainsaw up the other guy's nether regions.)

Also, "ananas" is "pineapple" in English.

Reactions: QnebO and FinPanda

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Finns celebrating the win by mocking swedes all over the internet. Nice sportmanship guys.
It’s not about sportmanship. It’s about mocking our big brother.

Let the game be sportsmanlike, but between out nations the fans don’t need to be sportsmanlike for another 20 or 30 years, I would say.

Reactions: FinPanda

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
That's just a dumb post by my fellow countryman, please ignore this idiot. We are not all like that..

I can't help but to feel sympathy for Swedish hockey fans being trapped under Garpenlöv. Reminds me when Finland was coached by Marjamäki, just horrible..Amazing how much difference coaching does in the game of hockey.. i am sure Sam Hallam is going to do so much better and we see entirely different team Sweden next year.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's not ultra-defensive hockey. Whole ideology of this Finnish playstyle is to have puck control, aka have the puck more than the opponent, without puck it's tough to score.

Team that controls middle of the ice is usually stronger, because it's best to attack through there. Finns block it, that simple.
Pretty sure Fins did have less of the puck tonight. It was 5 man back skating once not on puck, very tough to play against. Slovaks did fine getting through it for half of the game through short passes and speed, but it's exhausting and they seemed gassed by the end, they even admitted it on the post game inteviews. It's a paradox second Finish goal came on on a rare forcheck. Anyway, Fins are successful and that's what counts, as ugly it looks for non Fins. Its up to other teams to find a way to break it, Slovaks were close, maybe with a few more seasons of experience for this upcoming Slovak talented generation and they might just as well start a winning streak.

Reactions: Svedu

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Congratulations to Finland for advancing to the semifinals, in my opinion you have a medal for 70% sure, now it just depends on what it will be like. I wish you gold from the home tournament, as Sweden experienced in 2013. Unfortunately, Sweden is not continuing the tournament anymore, so I hope to see some funny videos of Finnish fools on Sunday.

Reactions: Lartsaman

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Pretty sure Fins did have less of the puck tonight. It was 5 man back skating once not on puck, very tough to play against. Slovaks did fine getting through it for half of the game through short passes and speed, but it's exhausting and they seemed gassed by the end, they even admitted it on the post game inteviews. It's a paradox second Finish goal came on on a rare forcheck. Anyway, Fins are successful and that's what counts, as ugly it looks for non Fins. Its up to other teams to find a way to break it, Slovaks were close, maybe with a few more seasons of experience for this upcoming Slovak talented generation and they might just as well start a winning streak.
Yeah but it's much more than that and it has many variations. In 2016 WJC we played this same style and it was goals galore with Laine, Aho etc.

When we were 2-0 down i was 100% sure that we are coming back and i said it here aswell, it's not about emotions it's trusting the system. We have seen these almost losses for many years now and we somehow win 95% so there's more that meets the eye. Goalie is big part of it ofc.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

The scary part is that Finland might get a stronger roster next year for this tournament. Finland didn't have any luck with that this year. Talent wise Finland has it's golden generation at the moment in the NHL and we only got a very small amount of those players to join this WHC team, mostly because most of them had to deal with NHL playoffs.

I say it's better for Slovakia to place better during the group stage so maybe they don't have to face Finland or any other top-seeded team or just hope to be in the same round robin group with Finland so they can't meet them in the QF stage. I think that Slovakia would've taken out USA tonight if the seeding was better, but Slovakia didn't play well enough in the group stage to get that match up.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
The scary part is that Finland might get a stronger roster next year for this tournament. Finland didn't have any luck with that this year. Talent wise Finland has it's golden generation at the moment in the NHL and we only got a very small amount of those players to join this WHC team, mostly because most of them had to deal with NHL playoffs.

I say it's better for Slovakia to place better during the group stage so maybe they don't have to face Finland or any other top-seeded team or just hope to be in the same round robin group with Finland so they can't meet them in the QF stage. I think that Slovakia would've taken out USA tonight if the seeding was better, but Slovakia didn't play well enough in the group stage to get that match up.
Sweden has an advantage in this, as it has its players located throughout the NHL, so the choice of players for the WHC is much greater. Finland has its extra class concentrated in a few clubs, which puts them at a disadvantage. Mainly for this reason, Jalonen prefers euro players, doesn't he?

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia

Yeah Slovaks were getting better as the tournament progressed, but lost points in group stage did cost them a more favorable qf pairing, I agree. I think Slovakia played a good game against Finland, with some more experience on the team and some of the players from OGs, they could have broken their negative streak today. They came prepared for the Finish trap, eveyone saw that, just needed a bit more luck or someone to take it on himself like Anttila did tonight for Finland. Anyway, hoping we stick to Ramsay's playstyle, it made us competitive again and with the talent crop coming up, we might medal again soon. Good luck in winning this at home, we like you guys here in Slovakia and in many ways we look up to you (just not the trap). Might be the blue and white... :)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well that's just stupid and doesn't represent Finns as whole. Unnecessary comment.

Exactly, agreed. I write my own comments and only i should be responsible for them.
Then again, who represents Finns as a whole? You, or another poster here?

Unnecessary or not, what is your opinion if i may ask? You yourself are complaining about AB13´s posts and so on?
No matter what, do you think its fun to read about excuses by other posters? Instead of accepting a defeat and congratulate the opponents, especially if they´ve played well? I mean is that better in any way?
Please let me know which other finn besides me wrote something offensive? And quite frankly, what was dishonest with my post? Stating the players they got this year and how good individuals they actually are? I mean come one man.
This is actually quite amusing, can someone please point out the harshness in my comment? Calling me an idiot as well? For what, give me something factual and i´ll humbly listen.
Last but not least, which d*mb person generalizes so badly that they would believe that a whole group of people should be judged by one individuals behavior or comments? You?

Let me just write i feel sorry for the Slovaks. I feel like they deserve to be in the semifinals, not meaning they deserved the win against us.
I just got the impression they could´ve beaten some of the other quarterfinal opponents if they would have played like they did against Finland.
So hats off for them! And yeah, i do believe Regenda is good enough for the NHL. Also, i think Slafkovsky is the best prospect followed by Jiricek, Nemec. Kemell and Wright are close for me. Again, that is only my opinion but i´m far from biased.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobu

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Unnecessary or not, what is your opinion if i may ask? You yourself are complaining about AB13´s posts and so on?
No matter what, do you think its fun to read about excuses by other posters? Instead of accepting a defeat and congratulate the opponents, especially if they´ve played well? I mean is that better in any way?
Please let me know which other finn besides me wrote something offensive? And quite frankly, what was dishonest with my post? Stating the players they got this year and how good individuals they actually are? I mean come one man.
This is actually quite amusing, can someone please point out the harshness in my comment? Calling me an idiot as well? For what, give me something factual and i´ll humbly listen.
Last but not least, which d*mb person generalizes so badly that they would believe that a whole group of people should be judged by one individuals behavior or comments? You?

Let me just write i feel sorry for the Slovaks. I feel like they deserve to be in the semifinals, not meaning they deserved the win against us.
I just got the impression they could´ve beaten some of the other quarterfinal opponents if they would have played like they did against Finland.
So hats off for them! And yeah, i do believe Regenda is good enough for the NHL. Also, i think Slafkovsky is the best prospect followed by Jiricek, Nemec. Kemell and Wright are close for me. Again, that is only my opinion but i´m far from biased.
My comment which you quoted was for MMAnumminen's post on the other topic, not sure which comment you are referring to.

I can't stand excuses and i have said before to couple posters always making excuses when they lose, we all know to whom i'm referring to.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad