GDT: WHC QF - Finland vs Slovakia

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I think Finland play actively, it play smart, it play winning hockey. And most of the time Finland playe very entertaining hockey and create a lot of chances with the material we have which is limited.

Reactions: FinPanda

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
By the way from where got Anttila the nickname "Mörkö"? Is it a Finnish word meaning a person who is very big? As far I know Anttila measures more than 2 meters.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
By the way from where got Anttila the nickname "Mörkö"? Is it a Finnish word meaning a person who is very big? As far I know Anttila measures more than 2 meters.
Mörkö is a Moomin-character. There is basically no other connection to this very well-made and popular kids' tv/movie-show except his name ''Marko''. Well he is a big guy so it is easy come up in the locker-room and call him Mörkö.

Reactions: FinPanda

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
And Mörkö is a monster that scared me when I was a kid watching this show. Mörkö came to the Moomin valley and everything near him turns to ice. He is highly misundestood character who does not want anything bad to anyone, but scares everyone off because the way he looks and because he turns the weather and landscape to ice.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Bratislava and Slovakia is probably my most favorite towns in Europe - second to Budapest and Hungary that is.
Hockey and Formula 1.

Rock'n'roll cities. Both.

• Love
Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Bratislava and Slovakia is probably my most favorite towns in Europe - second to Budapest and Hungary that is.
Hockey and Formula 1.

Rock'n'roll cities. Both.
It truly is a great city! I remember that we had so much fun with some Finnish colleagues when we were there first with business and after that continued for the weekend with some freetime. It was exactly the weekend when Lordi won the Eurovision contest, and we were partying and having fun all night long! At the same time it was also the WHC tournament going on too, but that was the time when Jukka Jalonen was only learning to become a great national team coach, and Finland sucked in the tournament big time. So every other pint of beer was for the honor of Lordi, and every other one to wash away the sadness of us sucking at the WHC tournament. That meant a lot of beers! And a mighty hangover the next day! But the city was so nice, interesting and full of lovely and friendly people, that a hangover didn’t keep us long from having a nice tour around the city. A really lovely city that I definitely have to visit again. And I strongly recommend visiting it to anyone!

Oh, and I absolutely love Budapest also!

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
To be fair they are kind of forced to with 90% of the team having very limited IQ in the offensive zone. It's the best tactic with a team that lacks skills in the o zone, but yeah i do agree with you though it's boring.
What are you talking about? You proved with one post that you don't understand hockey or you have never played it, i am sorry to say that like this.

It has nothing to do with "limited IQ". We saw throughout the game that Finnish skill level was head and shoulders above Slovakia, it wasn't even comparable. Slovakia skated and grinded with 100% power and will, Finland played with high IQ. They made our game hard because of that big spirit, much like what Finland was like 10 years ago.

Finland does a lot of long attacks, with low IQ you should actually just shoot immediately instead of building slow and steady. Sometimes it just makes me wonder do people actually understand at all what they are watching. They play extremely compact defensive game with 5 guys and then keep the puck in o-zone, opponents shouldn't play like Slovakia if they want to win. They should let Finland just keep the puck, play slow and then strike when it's time. If this was Finland as their best and not D-class game in our standards, it would've been over after 1st period.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Three times (Formula 1) in a row Budapest, Hungary, even when with Covid-19 hit bad Europe.

Always with some football too. MTK Budapest last time around. Sometimes with rock'n'roll too.

My ol' Sweden lady loved it too. Hungary that is.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Like Valtteri Bottas Finland will kill 'em all even if it is U.S.A this time around.

Because it is Finland.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
There was maybe a time when Sweden was good in icehockey and football more than Finland - never ever in Formula 1 and Rally.

No more nowadays,

member 305909

I usually like Slovakia but that sour grapes bollocks coming from them about how they don't like the way how Finland plays the game is just ridiculous.

If you can't dismantle a heavily defending team that is because you are not good enough. Not because the team defending is boring.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There was maybe a time when Sweden was good in icehockey and football more than Finland - never ever in Formula 1 and Rally.

No more nowadays,
Yeah Finland is better than us at icehockey, i dont have problem admitting that. Finland also better than us at racing and Basketball. But what makes Finland better than Sweden at football? We have stronger roster and done better resualts than Finland.

We are still better than Finland in Handboll and Bandy. In floorball its even.

Would be nice if you actually could give a serious reply sometime.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I usually like Slovakia but that sour grapes bollocks coming from them about how they don't like the way how Finland plays the game is just ridiculous.

If you can't dismantle a heavily defending team that is because you are not good enough. Not because the team defending is boring.
Only like 2 Slovak users, 1 maybe, we’re saying anything about Finnish play style. The rest, from what I can see online, say we got outplayed and made mistakes that lost us the game.

Please don’t pool us all fans into one lump.

Last edited:

member 305909

I was referring to news-stories I have come across.

I have no idea who says what on this forum. I really don't notice.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
What are you talking about? You proved with one post that you don't understand hockey or you have never played it, i am sorry to say that like this.

It has nothing to do with "limited IQ". We saw throughout the game that Finnish skill level was head and shoulders above Slovakia, it wasn't even comparable. Slovakia skated and grinded with 100% power and will, Finland played with high IQ. They made our game hard because of that big spirit, much like what Finland was like 10 years ago.

Finland does a lot of long attacks, with low IQ you should actually just shoot immediately instead of building slow and steady. Sometimes it just makes me wonder do people actually understand at all what they are watching. They play extremely compact defensive game with 5 guys and then keep the puck in o-zone, opponents shouldn't play like Slovakia if they want to win. They should let Finland just keep the puck, play slow and then strike when it's time. If this was Finland as their best and not D-class game in our standards, it would've been over after 1st period.
Lol. We were head and shoulders above Finland for the first two periods so I don´t see how you can say "it wasn´t even comparable". As I said earlier, success is blinding eyes of Finns and they´re starting to have this arrogant manners (but you call it confidence).

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Lol. We were head and shoulders above Finland for the first two periods so I don´t see how you can say "it wasn´t even comparable". As I said earlier, success is blinding eyes of Finns and they´re starting to have this arrogant manners (but you call it confidence).
It has nothing to do with arrogance, it's just analyzing the game. You need to see difference between individual skill and team effort.

Slovakia had one job, come out of the gates with full throttle and cause Finland to get off balance, and you did. After Finland scored, Slovakians started to panic a bit. In the end when you were chasing us, skill level became visible. If it was Canada or Sweden chasing us, it would've been completely different.

And these are just facts, there's a reason why Canada and Finland wins this games with such a big percentage, it is skill level. In the end it always comes on top. And my biggest respect to Slovakia, you played amazingly.

And i am talking about individual skill. As a team Slovakia played so well but unfortunately ran out of gas. Like i said previously, Slovakia played much like Finland did before.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

How about you chill with inhaling so much copium, this team does have limited offensive capabilities but saying anything you dont agree with makes you have to start spewing out childish stuff like "waaah you dont know anything of hockey"

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
How about you chill with inhaling so much copium, this team does have limited offensive capabilities but saying anything you dont agree with makes you have to start spewing out childish stuff like "waaah you dont know anything of hockey"
I wouldn't talk about copium after gold medal frenzy. You just don't understand the fundamentals of this playing style and it's visible so i wouldn't talk about it, that's all.

I argumented why you are wrong, you can now argument why i am wrong and Meidän Peli is for low iq forwards? When i see high IQ hockey and you post it's low IQ, obviously it makes me wonder that either you don't understand hockey or just post something for postings sake.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava

As a Slovak, I absolutely agree, it's ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is that also our GM was crying about the way Finland plays after the game. It never ceases to amaze me how disconnected from reality can some Slovak people be. Sure, Finland doesn't play the most breath-taking offensive hockey, but I think we should focus on our game. If we have 2 shots in the 3rd period, then the problem is not in the way our opponent plays. Nevertheless, I think we did just fine at this tournament considering our roster.

Reactions: member 305909

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3