GDT: WHC QF - Finland vs Slovakia

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I wouldn’t. Stupid stuff really. Tough brake for Sweden. You had a pretty damn good team,

I write this with nothing but respect for you and zero sarcasm, but i´m truly wondering about your thoughts here?

They lost in the quarters and they had some really good players? In what way does that tell us that their team was really good? They had some great individuals for sure, but the actual team? Please, go ahead and edcuate me.
Was it Garpenlövs mistake when Dahlin chipped the puck? Or that unlucky penalty in the O.T.? Was that his fault?
Last but not least, were Canada even that good in their quarterfinal? And still they outshot Sweden and everything.
What are we supposed to do here, just spread lies and cuddle?
Quite frankly, I just don´t understand this oversensitive c*ap, but i do understand that the loss was tough and that the game was close and that it can be difficult for some to melt.

The thing is, when Marjamäki coached us we were nothing but s*it. But the difference here? I kept my mouth closed or bashed my own country and criticized them without creating one excuse after the other.

Regarding Hallam coming in, let´s just see how much of a difference he´s able to establish before everyone starts speculating. Why do i have i this opinion? Because of the whining against Montén as well. The Swedish u-20´s haven´t won titles in a long time and a majority are always throwing sh*t against him or Garpenlöv.
My point here is, let´s just see if the lack of titles among u20´s or playing as a team could be an indicator of something that is lacking in the Swedish system as a whole right now? Who knows. Because that doesnt exclude the fact that they produce a lot of talented individuals.
I mean if they´re anything we´ve learned these last two years it´s that you just don´t win every game with having the most offensive skill on your team, it´s more complicated than that. Just like many things in life are, simple answers rarely solve the whole issue.

Last edited:

paragon

May 5, 2010
Sweden has an advantage in this, as it has its players located throughout the NHL, so the choice of players for the WHC is much greater. Finland has its extra class concentrated in a few clubs, which puts them at a disadvantage. Mainly for this reason, Jalonen prefers euro players, doesn't he?
I bet Jalonen would have taken NHL forwards, if he had options. Most of the top forwards were in playoffs and when guys like Hintz and Laine were available they couldn't play because of injuries. Pretty sure they would have liked to play in their hometown. Maybe next year.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I write this with nothing but respect for you and zero sarcasm, but i´m truly wondering about your thoughts here?

They lost in the quarters and they had some really good players? In what way does that tell us that their team was really good? They had some great individuals for sure, but the actual team? Please, go ahead and edcuate me.
Was it Garpenlövs mistake when Dahlin chipped the puck? Or that unlucky penalty in the O.T.? Was that his fault?
Last but not least, were Canada even that good in their quarterfinal? And still they outshot Sweden and everything.
Quite frankly, I just don´t understand this oversensitive c*ap, but i do understand that the loss was tough and that the game was close and that it can be difficult for some to melt.
Not sure why you are so sensitive here, but I think honestly Sweden played really good hockey as a team in the games I saw. All the respect to Slovakia and their play today, but in my opinion it was Sweden that played the best hockey against Finland in this tournament. Well, of course Finland even lost to Sweden in the round robin match in a very even game.

Also Canada didn’t win them easily, although they made a great hard fought comeback win. That also is enough for me to say that Sweden had a darn good hockey team. They barely lost to Canada, who are a good team anyway. Losing a tight game in the quarter finals doesn’t mean that the loser automatically sucks, if you know what I mean.

And about Garpenlöv - losing a 3-0 lead quite close to the end is practically always something that can be pointed a lot towards the coach. Sure, everyone in the team has their part in the situation turning from a 3-0 lead to 3-4 loss. Some less and some probably more, but the coach is always a big factor in motivating and guiding the team, and if the team has lost after leading 3-0, there is no way to escape that, amongst other people in the team, the coach himself has failed in helping his team to win. Similar failiar happened to Garpenlövs Sweden in the olympics as well, so there might really be a change for better when his job as Sweden’s headcoach ends now.

Honestly I’m still not sure what your point was with your post and why you were so sensitive in it, but this is anyway how I see the things that I wrote about already earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Not sure why you are so sensitive here, but I think honestly Sweden played really good hockey as a team in the games I saw. All the respect to Slovakia and their play today, but in my opinion it was Sweden that plyed the best hockey against Finland in this tournament. Well, of course Finland even lost to Sweden in the round robin match in a very even game. Also Canada didn’t win them easily, although they made a great hard fought comeback win. That also is enough for me to say that Sweden had a darn good hockey team. They barely lost to Canada, who are a good team anyway. Losing a tight game in the quarter finals doesn’t mean that the loser automatically sucks, if you know what I mean.

And about Garpenlöv - losing a 3-0 lead quite close to the end is practically always something that can be pointed a lot towards the coach. Sure, everyone in the team has their part in the situation tunring from a 3-0 lead to 3-4 loss. Some less and some more probably, but the coach is always a big factor in motivating and guiding the team, and if the team has lost after leading 3-0, there is no way to escape that, amongst other people in the team, the coach himself has failed in what helping his team to win. Similar failiar happened to Garpenlövs Sweden in the olympics as well, so there might really be a change for better when his job as Sweden’s headcoach ends now.

Honestly I’m still not sure what your point was with your post and why you were so sensitive in it, but this is anyway how I see the things that I wrote about already earlier.

How am i sensitive? Because we don´t share the exact same opinion?
And yeah, i respectfully disagree. I think Slovaks played just as good as the Swedes against us with the difference that Finland played even better today.
And in all honesty, the hardest five minutes we had were against Czechia in the starting second period. They dominated us for quite the while not letting us leave our defensive zone even once.
Actually, if they can keep that for a longer period of time i believe the Czechs will win the gold, that´s how impressed i got.

I mean, that´s my point. I´m not claiming Finland has been the best in this tournament? Or have i?

Regarding the quarterfinal between Canada and Sweden then, i just don´t think neither team played that well to be honest.
Again, a lot more impressed by Czechia against Germany.
But, now i understand your opinion a lot better so yeah, thanks for that.

Regarding Garpenlöv, you could be right. But the difference is that Sweden have been choking for quite a while now in both mens hockey, u20 hockey and womens hockey. It could be a mental thing as well, who knows.
Because the difference with Marjamäki compared to Garpenlöv and others is that we were never good in any particular game against anyone. I cant remember a single player being able to produce like usual.
With Sweden then? I mean Nylander does produce his points against weaker teams every single time?
Well, you could be right but i do have a feeling there could be more factors to it.

I dont understand why you think im being sensitive in the first place? Im being called an idiot, and you yourself wrote "Stupid stuff", etc. I was just wondering about your thoughts.
Because i dont get the same impression as "Eye of Ra", where he claimed that a lot of finns were mocking Swedes and so on.

Well, no biggie. Good night.

Reactions: Ippenator

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Arrogant.
How is it arrogant if it's the fact? Finland *did* win the game, despite Slovakia being better during the first period or so. Unfortunately for them, the game lasts 60 minutes, and at the end of that 60 minutes, Finland had more goals on the board.

If Jalonen had used the present tense, implying they win every time, instead of just this particular game, then it could be seen as little arrogant.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

The thing is, when Marjamäki coached us we were nothing but s*it. But the difference here? I kept my mouth closed or bashed my own country and criticized them without creating one excuse after the other.

Regarding Hallam coming in, let´s just see how much of a difference he´s able to establish before everyone starts speculating. Why do i have i this opinion? Because of the whining against Montén as well. The Swedish u-20´s haven´t won titles in a long time and a majority are always throwing sh*t against him or Garpenlöv.
My point here is, let´s just see if the lack of titles among u20´s or playing as a team could be an indicator of something that is lacking in the Swedish system as a whole right now? Who knows. Because that doesnt exclude the fact that they produce a lot of talented individuals.
I mean if they´re anything we´ve learned these last two years it´s that you just don´t win every game with having the most offensive skill on your team, it´s more complicated than that. Just like many things in life are, simple answers rarely solve the whole issue.
what about 2 gold and 1 bronze in the 3 last u18 wjc? How about 100 swedes in NHL? How about SHL being so strong? Sweden is doing fine in some areas but struggling in some other areas. Not eveything is black and white.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
what about 2 gold and 1 bronze in the 3 last u18 wjc? How about 100 swedes in NHL? How about SHL being so strong? Sweden is doing fine in some areas but struggling in some other areas. Not eveything is black and white.

My point exactly, there are few things (if anything) that are black or white.

All the love to you "Eye of Ra". Have a nice day.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Respect to Slovakia. They put on a good fight and shocked Finland in the beginning. Slovakians always play very hard. Just need a bit more top end talent to get them further in tournaments.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Slovakia was very, very good in this game, especially in the first period. They played creatively, aggressively and with terrific speed. Finland was a bit petrified by the pressure but then Mörkö happened. Again :D

Anyways, kudos to Slovakia. Your future looks way, way brighter now than before, with all these splendid youngsters coming out. Also had a strong showing in the Olympics. Seems the dark ages will be over for you.

Not seen it.. so yeah examples?
Exactly. Outside one or two regular troll on here, not seeing it. Actually, it's the Swedish press more than anybody else. They are ripping a new asshole for team Sweden and also Garpenlöv, just merciless.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Congratulations to Finland for advancing to the semifinals, in my opinion you have a medal for 70% sure, now it just depends on what it will be like. I wish you gold from the home tournament, as Sweden experienced in 2013. Unfortunately, Sweden is not continuing the tournament anymore, so I hope to see some funny videos of Finnish fools on Sunday.
Thanks. This post exemplifies sportsmanship :clap:

Btw... Where the f*** is Husqvarna?
Hopefully never to be seen again.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
What a very nice display of power from our brave team Finnish Lions! Scoring the decisive goal only a few seconds before the ending whistle, when the opposive Slovaks were leading 0-2 in the beginning period, it shows that we have one of the best coaches and very good mental cants! No more until the golding score!
I suggest you to use google translate from now on. That gibberish in unintelligible.

• Wow

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I critisiced Anttila in the groups, but f*** it, for all i know this guy can surf through next 5 group stages and keep scoring in elimination games

Indeed. Let Anttila quit in the NT when he wants to quit.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Let me put it this way: Finns have great players and are not bound to play this ultra-defensive hockey. I am kinda surprised that Finnish fans tolerate it. It is true that they are successful with this. But that's about it. I hope that hockey will not go in this direction. It´s terrible to watch.
To be fair they are kind of forced to with 90% of the team having very limited IQ in the offensive zone. It's the best tactic with a team that lacks skills in the o zone, but yeah i do agree with you though it's boring.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jukka Jalonen himself comments on his style of play:

"Our method is the following: when we have the puck, we have five guys on the offense, and when they have the puck, we have five guys defending. And I get it, the other guy doesn't think it's nice when it's so hard to get scoring opportunities. But that's the point of defending - to not be so nice to the other guy. Slovakia wanted to be on the offense, but was thwarted time and again. I get it, they don't like it.

Also, it was us who had the greater puck possession. And if you don't get the importance of that, you won't be winning any games in the future either. Hockey is a game with two phases - offensive and defensive. If one guy likes to be on the offensive, the other guy should not make it easy and comfortable for them. And we are pretty good at that."

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Jukka Jalonen himself comments on his style of play:

"Our method is the following: when we have the puck, we have five guys on the offense, and when they have the puck, we have five guys defending. And I get it, the other guy doesn't think it's nice when it's so hard to get scoring opportunities. But that's the point of defending - to not be so nice to the other guy. Slovakia wanted to be on the offense, but was thwarted time and again. I get it, they don't like it.

Also, it was us who had the greater puck possession. And if you don't get the importance of that, you won't be winning any games in the future either. Hockey is a game with two phases - offensive and defensive. If one guy likes to be on the offensive, the other guy should not make it easy and comfortable for them. And we are pretty good at that."
Just people whining because we play hockey that keeps getting us wins. We are not in the tournament to please anyone with our game, we are here winning the gold medal. It doesn' t matter if you play super exciting hockey if it doesn't get you results.

The fact Slovakians are salty just proves we do things better than they can.

Reactions: mattihp

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Just people whining because we play hockey that keeps getting us wins. We are not in the tournament to please anyone with our game, we are here winning the gold medal. It doesn' t matter if you play super exciting hockey if it doesn't get you results.
Well, sports are entertainment, so in that sense one shouldn't dismiss the argument that the game should be entertaining to watch, at least if you're a neutral observer. But people making this argument shouldn't forget one thing - teams play mostly not for the neutral observer, but for their fans. And for a fan of any team, the greatest source of entertainment is probably seeing the team you root for win.

Now, if you're a neutral observer and don't find the game entertaining, I think it's fine to vocalize that - just don't demand that the team gives up their winning brand of hockey if their fans don't have a problem with it. Although, in this case, the complaints are not really coming from the neutral observers - they're coming from the opposing side. They claim our side is "killing hockey". How? Because we're not making the game more entertaining for the neutral observer? Please, man. That is such a "think of the children!" argument if you have a stake in the game.

And if their argument is that we're not making the game entertaining because it's harder for them to win? Well, duh, man. That's the freakin' point.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Finland created more offence when they were down by 2. Slovaks used the trap-style when they were in a lead. I thought this was a chance to Slovakia to win, but I can understand players and management are frustrated right after the lose.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, sports are entertainment, so in that sense one shouldn't dismiss the argument that the game should be entertaining to watch, at least if you're a neutral observer. But people making this argument shouldn't forget one thing - teams play mostly not for the neutral observer, but for their fans. And for a fan of any team, the greatest source of entertainment is probably seeing the team you root for win.

Now, if you're a neutral observer and don't find the game entertaining, I think it's fine to vocalize that - just don't demand that the team gives up their winning brand of hockey if their fans don't have a problem with it. Although, in this case, the complaints are not really coming from the neutral observers - they're coming from the opposing side. They claim our side is "killing hockey". How? Because we're not making the game more entertaining for the neutral observer? Please, man. That is such a "think of the children!" argument if you have a stake in the game.

And if their argument is that we're not making the game entertaining because it's harder for them to win? Well, duh, man. That's the freakin' point.
Well said, I agree. Sports should be entertainment and I wasn't saying watching team Finland play is the most entertaining thing, I believe most neutral fans hate to watch our games and rather watch great hockey games like USA-Canana.. Sweden-Canada etc.

Its totally different for us Finns who just want to see our tesm win.

Reactions: illone84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad