OT: What's your job?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I work at a Rona lumber yard... make 12.50 and i'm really tired of it but this is my last year... i'm 20 and i'm in my last year of school. i'm taking a customs course at NC, want to work for CBSA.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
They cry when you take away their stuff?

Hahah na just a couple verbally aggressive ones, nothing too exciting.

I have a made a couple of children cry when I took their bunk beds away :(.

Ah well, you don't pay for hydro, you lose power. You don't pay your phone bill, your phone gets disconnected. Same concept with easy home. Yet most of our customers fail to understand this.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Currently employed at McDonald's for 12 more days. Won employee of the year there, so pretty solid.

Starting first year at Laurier for their BBA program and plan to become a CA

Quite a few CA/CPA's on here.

I see (below) you are to live in University Place. I lived there my first year, and also attended for the BBA program, specializing in accounting. Graduated in 2010 and wrote UFE's in 2011. I enjoyed my time there, felt the school prepared me well for my career and still spend a fair amount of time in the KW region.

I also highly recommend you check out the hockey out there, either OHL or CIS. I became a much larger fan of hockey after moving out of the GTA area and seeing the high level of hockey available in Ontario.

PhilTheThrill812

Jan 11, 2013
Quite a few CA/CPA's on here.

I see (below) you are to live in University Place. I lived there my first year, and also attended for the BBA program, specializing in accounting. Graduated in 2010 and wrote UFE's in 2011. I enjoyed my time there, felt the school prepared me well for my career and still spend a fair amount of time in the KW region.

I also highly recommend you check out the hockey out there, either OHL or CIS. I became a much larger fan of hockey after moving out of the GTA area and seeing the high level of hockey available in Ontario.

Sweet, thanks for the advice. Good to see you enjoyed your time there.

Hope ya don't mind if I message you some questions occasionally about the university and such.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
I've heard they spend all their resources into their MBA program.

If you're staying in Ontario for business, most say Ivey, Schulich, WLU, and Queen's are your best bet.

A bit below is McMaster and Ottawa.

Ottawa isn't good for business.

Best business schools in Ontario are Queens, Schulich and Ivey.

Under that you have schools like Rotman and the Waterloo program.

Then you have programs like Laurier, Western (non-Ivey,) Ted Rogers, etc.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

I applied for Schulich, Laurier, and Ted Rogers

Checked em all out, programs, campus, potential networking, etc.

And I chose laurier over Schulich quite easily. Tbh schulich is a great school, but it is overhyped like crazy imo

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
I applied for Schulich, Laurier, and Ted Rogers

Checked em all out, programs, campus, potential networking, etc.

And I chose laurier over Schulich quite easily. Tbh schulich is a great school, but it is overhyped like crazy imo

I'm in Schulich and I got accepted to all those schools too : P

It's not overhyped like crazy, well at least not in my high school/area. I chose it because of the opportunities it gives being such a specialized business school. I also had people in the business world, particularly consulting and finance, tell me that those three schools are the "big schools."

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I'm in Schulich and I got accepted to all those schools too : P

It's not overhyped like crazy, well at least not in my high school/area. I chose it because of the opportunities it gives being such a specialized business school. I also had people in the business world, particularly consulting and finance, tell me that those three schools are the "big schools."

Haha that's awesome :P

Might just be my area, but the way my friends were hyping it up I was expecting a lot. When I went I was disappointed. Of course I never had a class there though, so the profs could be really good

Mainly chose Laurier because I stayed there for a business thing for a couple days, got used to the campus and really loved it. Also learned a lot about the program + sat through some lectures and felt it was a good fit for me

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hahah na just a couple verbally aggressive ones, nothing too exciting.

I have a made a couple of children cry when I took their bunk beds away :(.

Ah well, you don't pay for hydro, you lose power. You don't pay your phone bill, your phone gets disconnected. Same concept with easy home. Yet most of our customers fail to understand this.

I've always figured the bigger thing they don't understand is just how much money they blow by financing through there. Crazy!

It's like smoking a pack a day and complaining about not having disposable income.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
University Place. Wherever the hell that is.

I'm pretty late on these things.

LOL....UP.....

anyways its a great program you meet a lot of great people and friends and i suggest you try and get co op.
however if you don't keep up with the work and only party it can become hell...

also if you guys need any pointers on anything laurier or waterloo related just pm me

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009

Nope.

Anyways, I have both my BBA from Laurier and my MBA from Schulich, both degrees were important to my careers but overhyped. No sense arguing about Universities, the rankings and impressions of every school change constantly.

EDIT: Also worth noting that Canada has the highest post-secondary education percentages in the entire world, so degrees like Business and Engineering are not going to guarantee you an easy money or life anymore.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Haha that's awesome :P

Might just be my area, but the way my friends were hyping it up I was expecting a lot. When I went I was disappointed. Of course I never had a class there though, so the profs could be really good

Mainly chose Laurier because I stayed there for a business thing for a couple days, got used to the campus and really loved it. Also learned a lot about the program + sat through some lectures and felt it was a good fit for me

Yeah Laurier is a beautiful place/environment. Sucks its in Waterloo though :P but I can't say much since York is like right at Jane and Finch haha. Laurier/Waterloo double degree was actually tied for my second choice with McGill. Maybe we'll meet sometime at a case competition or something, and maybe I'll destroy you >: )

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Nope.

Anyways, I have both my BBA from Laurier and my MBA from Schulich, both degrees were important to my careers but overhyped. No sense arguing about Universities, the rankings and impressions of every school change constantly.

EDIT: Also worth noting that Canada has the highest post-secondary education percentages in the entire world, so degrees like Business and Engineering are not going to guarantee you an easy money or life anymore.

Totally agree, Canada is the "worlds most educated country," whatever that may entail. I also don't like rankings but I made my choice off of them. Schulich having a GREAT hire rate out of school was definitely appealing haha. Business, like you said, has limited job opportunities, but a good education and having connections (arguably the most important aspect) will definitely get you a job.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Schulich is a very good accounting school, decent for everything else. From the recruiting side, I will definitely say my firm hired more summer students from there than anywhere else (Waterloo and Queens after that), but even a couple years ago we only hired two. On the flip side, you have a school like Ivey that's fantastic for finance/consulting but weaker from the accounting perspective since you really only have two years to do CA courses. Of course, if you're good enough they'll hire you regardless of what school you went too

Also Schulich's pretty much like going to high school for another four years, but that's a different story altogether.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Working as a security offcier for Canadian public work // attending university in Civil Law.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Sweet, thanks for the advice. Good to see you enjoyed your time there.

Hope ya don't mind if I message you some questions occasionally about the university and such.

Feel free to message.

Being that you are taking accounting, I think you will be satisfied. I cannot speak to the other areas (finance etc), especially in comparison to other universities, as I have not attended the other schools, nor did I take enough finance courses or network enough in that area to really compare.

Laurier does put quite a lot of effort into their accounting department though and seem to do fairly well. In 2012, Laurier had the Ontario and National Gold Medalist for the UFE as well as 3 total on the Honour Roll (behind Waterloo, and U of T in Ontario) and in 2011 put 4 on the Honour Roll (behind only Waterloo). As someone discussed above, I am a firm believer that in the long term, your professional experience will play a much larger role in your career than which University you attended say 15 years prior whether it be York/Toronto/Waterloo/Laurier/Queens/Western etc, but in the short term, you likely want any advantage you can get (real or perceived).

As someone mentioned above, Co-Op is likely something to strive for, and a great concept that several Ontario schools offer in business and especially in accounting. There is definitely an option to knock off a year of your CA experience before you even graduate, and often times land full time employment fairly early into your degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad