OT: What's your job?

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I applied for Schulich, Laurier, and Ted Rogers

Checked em all out, programs, campus, potential networking, etc.

And I chose laurier over Schulich quite easily. Tbh schulich is a great school, but it is overhyped like crazy imo

Not to jump in on this convo, but great choice. I regret not going to Laurier and doing the co-op program there. I am entering my fourth year in accounting at western, just finished my first internship and had I done the co-op I would be entering full time with a higher salary and in a higher responsibility level then other students because of the co-op.

PhilTheThrill812

Jan 11, 2013
Not to jump in on this convo, but great choice. I regret not going to Laurier and doing the co-op program there. I am entering my fourth year in accounting at western, just finished my first internship and had I done the co-op I would be entering full time with a higher salary and in a higher responsibility level then other students because of the co-op.

I was also accepted to Western, but choose Laurier after hearing students regret not going for the co-op.

Do you have Ivey status?

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I was also accepted to Western, but choose Laurier after hearing students regret not going for the co-op.

Do you have Ivey status?

IF you are doing accounting I recommend co-op at Laurier, if you are doing Finance or Consulting, Ivey is in a tier of its own. I turned it down because I am doing accounting and BMOS offers all 51 credit hours required for CA + I had the marks and ECs to get into a Big 4.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I just graduated in Business with a concentration in Marketing and a minor in Information Technology. Been trying to find a job for 2-3 months now but no luck :(

might go back and do my MBA ... but I really don't want to ...

also was considering getting a CITT designation. I really liked the field of Logistics and Supply Chain Management throughout university. Anyone have any recommendations or advice?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Do you have Ivey status?

As noted above, if you're going into accounting at Western do BMOS; accounting firms look at both it and Ivey on the exact same level from a recruiting perspective and you don't need to cram a bunch of courses in after you graduate. If you're doing anything else Ivey is way better (as it should be for that amount of money haha).

Also Laurier is a solid school, I went to Schulich but pretty much spent all my weekends either there or in Guelph, which are both just awesome places to go to school.

CmonLeafs

Oct 22, 2010
Ottawa
I'll be working as a technical analyst for IBM Cognos this fall on coop.

Just finished 2nd year at uWaterloo in Mechanical Engineering.

Awesome to see all the Waterloo/Laurier students in these boards. You're all invited over to watch the Leafs in the winter.

MrValk

Mar 23, 2006
Toronto
Just graduated with my BBA from WLU with a finance concentration. Worked as a private Forex Trader and as an analyst for a couple of firms. Planning to write my CFA level 1 come december (have yet to start studying fml lol)

Have fun with the program my friend, I just completed level 3. Get ready for no social life for a number of years. Good luck

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
I'll be working as a technical analyst for IBM Cognos this fall on coop.

As a former Cognos employee (albeit during that time just before the IBM merger was official), hopefully it'll be as enjoyable as it was when I was there (which it was a blast; good workmates, boss that was awesome. It was good times, with smart people.)

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whisky into urine.
It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Worked at Mcdonalds for 2 years, just recently dropped out of my University program after the first year, am currently unemployed living at home. Living the dream eh? :sarcasm: No in all seriousness I hated my program and will either re-apply to something I really want to take like maybe a culinary program or I have an offer to move out west and have a job in place with my friend there if I decide to do that.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
High School grad taking a year off school to work (GIS tech with my uncle) and figure out what I want to do when I go to Uni next year.

CmonLeafs

Oct 22, 2010
Ottawa
As a former Cognos employee (albeit during that time just before the IBM merger was official), hopefully it'll be as enjoyable as it was when I was there (which it was a blast; good workmates, boss that was awesome. It was good times, with smart people.)

Hey thanks for the well wishes. I actually worked there on my previous coop term and quite enjoyed it. Hence why I'm going back. I'm sure I've worked with a lot of people who you worked with then - they're all quite bitter about IBM taking over.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Worked at Mcdonalds for 2 years, just recently dropped out of my University program after the first year, am currently unemployed living at home. Living the dream eh? :sarcasm: No in all seriousness I hated my program and will either re-apply to something I really want to take like maybe a culinary program or I have an offer to move out west and have a job in place with my friend there if I decide to do that.

High School grad taking a year off school to work (GIS tech with my uncle) and figure out what I want to do when I go to Uni next year.

Yeah I did the best thing. Got out of school last year, worked construction job during summer. Laid-off winter. Get in accident and total car so can't get to the job any more, got a good tax return/random other checks from the government. Had a job on base where I worked total of 5 days (non more the 4 hours) made a grand from that..... Now but mostly I just sat around home played Fifa and browsed this site, that's the dream.

MrValk

Mar 23, 2006
Toronto
Congrats!

I don't feel like searching previous pages, so if you see this, what's your next step?

I already work in the Financial sector (I work on the sales/trading desk for one of the banks), and am hoping to get by with the CFA and my undergrad.

Next step is going back to enjoying life and not having to worry about studying or results.

Really recomend the passing the CFA coarse at U of T too.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
1157724_10153198702880707_104343969_n.jpg

Just something funny I saw online today for you newly graduated :)

Just keeeding :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad