OT: What's your job?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
1157724_10153198702880707_104343969_n.jpg

Just something funny I saw online today for you newly graduated :)

Just keeeding :)

Kidding but not kidding. Lots of these young guys and gals are in for a world of trouble finding a job. Good luck, guys.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner- stayed away from the boards for a while after the collapse to the Bruins because I figured the whole board needed Prozac or Ativan lol

Ace88*

When i graduate, i think i'll be at an age that puts me at an advantage versus a 21-22 year old. Ill be 26, and i do believe that being older and wiser (having the enormously useful ability to crush job interviews helps too lol) than them will make it easier to find work. I've never had trouble finding a job, if you look hard enough, you'll get one. There's just so many people that aren't willing to put in the work or get really picky about jobs. But at some point, you just gotta do what you gotta do. Them bills dont pay themselves. I've had some absolutely **** jobs, but you know what? I'll have those skills for the rest of my life. Through jobs, i know how to cook, take apart small engines and put them back together/fix them, build decks and patios, build guitars, be personable and amiable with strangers, hell i even know how to sell cars lol. On one level, i hate myself for quitting school. One another level, im so happy i accumulated a ton of real-world skills.

But it's definitely time to finish that degree lmao. I can't ****ing wait for september! My program was like 80/20 girl to guy ratio. Having recently broke up with a girlfriend (major bummer), im looking so forward to annihilating the field :laugh:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Kidding but not kidding. Lots of these young guys and gals are in for a world of trouble finding a job. Good luck, guys.

No kidding!

I graduated in 2007 and am still without permanent employment. I work contracts, but manage to scratch out most of the year employed. Luckily my usual "time off" falls around the trade deadline so I can spend lots more time on hfboards :laugh:

I LOVE my job. Its exactly what i want to be doing, but I know for a fact I could have taken a different path and be working full time at a better salary then i do now. I wouldnt be as happy, thats for sure though. My wife and I are getting by, even if were not banking tons of dough. We're paying the bills and making sure our daughter doesnt lack.

My primary employer, and to an extent the industry I work for, is going through a massive change right now. Jobs are very few and far between, and competition for those jobs is fierce.

Feb 24, 2004
IF you are doing accounting I recommend co-op at Laurier, if you are doing Finance or Consulting, Ivey is in a tier of its own. I turned it down because I am doing accounting and BMOS offers all 51 credit hours required for CA + I had the marks and ECs to get into a Big 4.

I did Ivey and got my CA. Fully endorse over any other business school in Canada, but obviously I'm completely biased

Feb 24, 2004
As noted above, if you're going into accounting at Western do BMOS; accounting firms look at both it and Ivey on the exact same level from a recruiting perspective and you don't need to cram a bunch of courses in after you graduate.

This isn't true.

Unless you do exchange from Ivey, you can complete all your courses before you graduate. There was a fairly large gap in students recruited from Ivey versus BACS/BMOS in the years I did recruiting. BMOS is a good program, but if you get into Ivey and it won't be a complete financial burden - go.

Feb 24, 2004
Worked at Mcdonalds for 2 years, just recently dropped out of my University program after the first year, am currently unemployed living at home. Living the dream eh? :sarcasm: No in all seriousness I hated my program and will either re-apply to something I really want to take like maybe a culinary program or I have an offer to move out west and have a job in place with my friend there if I decide to do that.

I've heard that working at McDonalds isn't actually as bad as it's made out to be. How did you enjoy it?

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
I've heard that working at McDonalds isn't actually as bad as it's made out to be. How did you enjoy it?

I loved it actually, flexible hours, nice and fun people to work with, pretty good pay(I had this job for about 2 years, from age 17-19, near the end I was making close to $12/hour which isn't bad for a job in highschool) Obviously it's not the kind of job you want to keep doing but for a part-time job it is good. Easy to get hired too, I called the store, they called me in for an interview and got hired on the spot.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
Hey thanks for the well wishes. I actually worked there on my previous coop term and quite enjoyed it. Hence why I'm going back. I'm sure I've worked with a lot of people who you worked with then - they're all quite bitter about IBM taking over.

Ya there's no love lost for their Big BLue masters. I was there when they just bought out Cognos and was in the process of swallowing their new prize. The amount of talent that flew out the floor in the next six months was enough to keep me busy with tickets for three months extra on my contract. Also the last megacorp I ever worked for. IMO, startups for the win.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This isn't true.

Unless you do exchange from Ivey, you can complete all your courses before you graduate. There was a fairly large gap in students recruited from Ivey versus BACS/BMOS in the years I did recruiting. BMOS is a good program, but if you get into Ivey and it won't be a complete financial burden - go.

Really? Didn't know that; the people who I work with who went to Ivey all had to take a bunch of summer courses after both Ivey years (and even when I took my campus visit there after pre-admission they told me that).

e: I can see the disparity now, I classify 'post-graduation' as after you're done fourth year; for clarification I agree you don't need to take any extra semesters or anything

Also I know from our end we look at BMOS on pretty much the same plane because frankly, there aren't as many Ivey students that go into accounting now compared to even 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Anyone here finished school for Logistics and looking for an entry level job? Or just looking for an entry level FT job? I have someone looking for an office person, paying 12-13$/hr.

I graduated from Humber College this past June, studied business and having trouble securing a job. Ive had many interviews but no final/ official job offers. I would be interested working in a office for 12-13$ an hour, sure. Can you give me further details of the company and position? I will kindly appreciate it. Thanks! :)

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I graduated from Humber College this past June, studied business and having trouble securing a job. Ive had many interviews but no final/ official job offers. I would be interested working in a office for 12-13$ an hour, sure. Can you give me further details of the company and position? I will kindly appreciate it. Thanks! :)

It would be good experience for you. Employers put more weight into experience than they do degrees

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I work at CTV (at the Queen St. West location - the MUCH building). I schedule TV shows on CTV/CTV Two but have a specialization in simulcast programs (so basically all American shows). Coming up on my two years in October - I started here when I was 21.

I graduated from Seneca with a Television Broadcast diploma and got hired by CTV after interning for CHCH for a few months. Got really lucky because I got hired without using any connections and just did the straight two-interview process. A lot of my friends are still freelancing/interning/etc. Rough industry to get into.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad