OT: What's your job?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Easyhome.

I deliver, and take peoples (usually low-income) furniture.

DusterNelson

May 6, 2010
How is it like becoming a CPA? Just asking because I'm planning to become one.

Just thought I would throw in my two cents

I am currently studying for the September UFE, and spoke to a colleague about the transition to the CPA. From what I understand the plan is to have 3 more UFE examinations, including this year, with 2 more SOA examinations and a number of CKEs (4?); meaning 2015 will likely be the last year to obtain a CA designation.

The new CPA system will consists of a large number of new "modules" that you will have to write, where you complete smaller examinations on specific topics, instead of having cumulative exams which cover everything. There will then be a final examination, which CA students skip to if they have completed the SOA (but not the UFE). The person I talked to said that this new CPA system was actually thought to be harder than the current CA route, because there are a number of modules that you have to write, you'll have to study for a much longer time period than the couple of weeks at a time the current system requires.

I assume that this grandfathering system is similar to the CMA students, so unless you are close to graduating (I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know what year you're in) you cannot choose to go for the CMA, all prospective accountants will be filtered through the CPA system - which seems unfair because it looks like (to me at least, take with a grain of salt) it is just renaming the CA designation, and forcing all new accountants to match this level.

Not a great time to join the accounting field atm, the Big Four have been struggling (they didn't hire much at all of my graduating class - 2012; and one of the firms forced new staff accountants to take July off because they had a couple down quarters). Now there will be even more competition; hopefully the economy will have fully recovered by the time you make the jump.

Cheers,

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Librarian is certainly one aspect - public, private, or academic. But other potential work opportunities include archivists, managing data, information, research, analysis, things like that. But for me right now, it entails general uselessness. Part of me thinks I bought into UWO's kool-aid and now I'm set back financially for at least another 3-5 years to pay for it all (don't even get me started on how ****ed up the OSAP system is!).

That's pretty much what an MLIS holder can do... but, as I mentioned, if you're a new grad and have little to no experience, good freaking luck! I don't want a lot of things in life, but I wouldn't mind a job that is stable and financially allows me the opportunity to grow as a person and potentially provide. I'm not a fancy car, fancy mansion kind of guy - just a humble average joe who doesn't want to feel like a loser anymore.

You wouldn't happen to be from Sudbury, would you? :)

Haha sorry no born and raised in Toronto, living and working in the GTA now. Thanks for the info!

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Just thought I would throw in my two cents

I am currently studying for the September UFE, and spoke to a colleague about the transition to the CPA. From what I understand the plan is to have 3 more UFE examinations, including this year, with 2 more SOA examinations and a number of CKEs (4?); meaning 2015 will likely be the last year to obtain a CA designation.

The new CPA system will consists of a large number of new "modules" that you will have to write, where you complete smaller examinations on specific topics, instead of having cumulative exams which cover everything. There will then be a final examination, which CA students skip to if they have completed the SOA (but not the UFE). The person I talked to said that this new CPA system was actually thought to be harder than the current CA route, because there are a number of modules that you have to write, you'll have to study for a much longer time period than the couple of weeks at a time the current system requires.

I assume that this grandfathering system is similar to the CMA students, so unless you are close to graduating (I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know what year you're in) you cannot choose to go for the CMA, all prospective accountants will be filtered through the CPA system - which seems unfair because it looks like (to me at least, take with a grain of salt) it is just renaming the CA designation, and forcing all new accountants to match this level.

Not a great time to join the accounting field atm, the Big Four have been struggling (they didn't hire much at all of my graduating class - 2012; and one of the firms forced new staff accountants to take July off because they had a couple down quarters). Now there will be even more competition; hopefully the economy will have fully recovered by the time you make the jump.

Cheers,

Thanks for the information, appreciate the effort since this is your first post. :) Btw, i'm going to grade 12 next year and thought about taking Bcom program in UTM. Whats your opinion on that?

Feb 24, 2004
Yeah I used UFE process as a misnomer (even moreso considering its not like there's a non-UFE process to get a CA), but the hours are probably the toughest thing. Although I'm pretty sure the pass rates for CA exam are lower than the CMA ones as well?

Judging it strictly by UFE pass rates is also a bit of a misnomer, considering that depending on the province, there are anywhere from 2-6 preliminary exams to pass in order to take the UFE.

Feb 24, 2004
Anybody know who's hiring? Can someone point me in the right direction? I graduated college in june and i've been trying to find work for 2 months. I've had interviews but nothing has really escalated. Im 22, don't have elaborate work experience and have a business management diploma + internship experience in a office. Most of my experience is working in kitchens but I want to step away from that work environment. Perhaps I should go to an employment agency or something.

Does your college have career management services?

Feb 24, 2004
Okay, i'm pretty new with this, but I heard that CA was going to merged with CPA. How is that going to affect the path I'm going to take in the future? Just to let you know, I'm thinking about applying for BCom program in UTM.

There are a lot of rumors right now. The only thing I know for certain is that if you start the path as a CA (ie sign up as a student and begin the path to take the preliminary exams) you'll be allowed to finish as a CA. They have estimated the transition to take up to ten years, so if you want the ability to use the CA letters then go for it. If the accounting bodies in Canada are right, people will only recognize the CPA in the future (which I call BS on but time will tell).

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Anybody know who's hiring? Can someone point me in the right direction? I graduated college in june and i've been trying to find work for 2 months. I've had interviews but nothing has really escalated. Im 22, don't have elaborate work experience and have a business management diploma + internship experience in a office. Most of my experience is working in kitchens but I want to step away from that work environment. Perhaps I should go to an employment agency or something.

Summer is the worst time to look for a job. Or for most business for that matter.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Sales person at Pro Hockey life in Montreal. Yeah, I like hockey. Varlamov dropped by my place yesterday, no idea what he was doing in Montreal lol.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Just about to start my last 3 month placement at Southlake Hospital in Newmarket to become a Cardiac Sonographer (ultrasound of the heart). So I would perform the echocardiogram. Very interesting stuff!

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Summer is the worst time to look for a job. Or for most business for that matter.

This. I finished my last exam at uni yesterday (hurray!) And have been looking for about a month for work...still stuck in retail.

On the plus side, most have advised me to check back in September when they expect to have openings.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Yes everyone keep telling yourselves that and I'll keep getting my jobs in the summer. :laugh:

Well it would make sense no? Maybe not that there's no work, but there's also the greatest influx of workers.

I'm also sure the poster is hoping for long term employment. I'm going to exhaust all my options for full time employment with full benefits before I accept an offer for a 6 month contract. I'm probably being too picky, but i've got dental/health/vision coverage from my retail job right now, I can't imagine being without that. Especially since my wisdom teeth are gonna have to come out within the next few months.

I didn't realize how complicated making money was until I really started worrying about it lol

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I run a Christmas Tree Delivery Company in the Winter & an Outdoor Mosquito Control Company in the Spring & Summer.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

I'm not sure how much businesses value those business management diplomas from college because the friends I have with those degrees are struggling to find solid full-time work as well. My advice to you would be to either keep plugging away and just try getting in with a reputable firm even on contract. Once you get your foot in the door you could prove your keep and eventually find a full-time position within the company. Businesses value experience alot these days so this is why recent graduates have a hard time find quality work right out of the gate. Your other option would be to go to University and specialize in something.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Just about to start my last 3 month placement at Southlake Hospital in Newmarket to become a Cardiac Sonographer (ultrasound of the heart). So I would perform the echocardiogram. Very interesting stuff!

Congrats! I know a few nurses at Southlake who really enjoy their work

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I am finishing my co-op term in the marketing department at a produce company that is a grower, packager and marketer.

Back to school in September.

Ace88*

Well it would make sense no? Maybe not that there's no work, but there's also the greatest influx of workers.

I'm also sure the poster is hoping for long term employment. I'm going to exhaust all my options for full time employment with full benefits before I accept an offer for a 6 month contract. I'm probably being too picky, but i've got dental/health/vision coverage from my retail job right now, I can't imagine being without that. Especially since my wisdom teeth are gonna have to come out within the next few months.

I didn't realize how complicated making money was until I really started worrying about it lol

Wtf kind of retail job gives you benefits?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad