Speculation: What is Vegas doing with Vadim Shipachyov?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't understand how this guy is their "best player". I watched him play in preseason, yes he's skilled but he didn't really fit in well at all. Of course there's an adjustment period but I'm not sure he really earned a spot.

The most questionable thing in this situation to me was the contract without him earning a thing in the NHL.

As for any hurt feelings, if he gets called up before the next game or two and plays I would suspect any feelers hurt will mend themselves.

So you’re stating he might not be fit judging by 4 pre season games versus what he has proven dominating the second best league in hockey, dominating the World Championships and having a decent World Cup.

I don’t think anyone can question his skill.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
if a team places a player on the ir, that player has to come off the ir on a specific day. ship's injury is probably not worth putting him on the ir, as he will be healthy much sooner than that date

Well, he would have been eligible to come off IR wednesday. So unless he's playing in the Vegas home opener tomorrow nothing has been saved IR-wise.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There's still the issue of Vegas having one of their top offensive players sitting in the minors and icing a less-than-ideal lineup due to roster restrictions that McPhee caused himself.
He misplayed the value of defensemen... it's hardly the end of the world. His concern is not right now it's five years from now

I'd waive Hunt but if he wants the depth for when he can unload the quality guys, it makes sense

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
There's still the issue of Vegas having one of their top offensive players sitting in the minors and icing a less-than-ideal lineup due to roster problems that McPhee caused himself.

It's a week into the season. If something gets done and he plays the rest of the 80 games everybody in this thread, including me, is going to look silly.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
There's still the issue of Vegas having one of their top offensive players sitting in the minors and icing a less-than-ideal lineup due to roster problems that McPhee caused himself.

Hey now, when someone finally caves and gives up a 2021 7th round pick for Tomas Nosek, the future of Vegas will be secured and it will all have been worth it.

Reactions: derriko

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My post was a reply to an earlier one saying that this guy was "probably their best player". That's way off base at this point. The contract itself makes it tricky, because this guy could use a few minor league games to get more flow going but he makes so much cash and likely to some level assumed he'd be on the big boy team. His play didn't warrant an automatic spot from what I saw. He was holding the puck way too long, forcing seam passes that weren't there - basically figuring out what works and what doesn't in this league. Others were obviously closer.

Is this purely a paper move while they figure out their roster problems? Then what's the fuss? Makes sense. People are carrying a lot of prior McPhee hate into this situation. I thought he did a solid job of the draft. This team is as good as almost any expansion team I've seen, and I'm not saying that because of two early wins. They're pretty solid and reasonably deep with more picks than I've seen any other expansion team pick up. Picking up the d was almost to a player the right choice. There will always be a couple of guys you miss on, but every deal I saw McPhee do made sense.

Teams are squeezing McPhee now the same way they're squeezing Sakic for Duchene. Only thing to do is wait it out or get bent over in the moves. I'd wait too. If this player blew the doors off in pre season it would be one thing, but he didn't. He showed flashes and has obvious skill for sure. He's a bit of a project imo. The first couple weeks of the season are always a bit of a shit show, and his team is in its first week of existence. They should given some leeway here. Compared to the first Ottawa team this Vegas team is the 80's Oilers.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McPhee wants to trade a defenseman, but he doesn't want to trade any of his good defensemen and only wants to trade his bad defensemen. That's the problem he's running into. The guys he doesn't want to trade are guys like Schmidt, Miller and Theodore and that's who other teams want. Teams don't want to bring in freaking Sbisa or Garrison.

They should just waive Sbisa at this point and send him down. I mean, is any team going to claim him? For real. What I find weird is why were they willing to waive Pickard while not being willing to waive Brad Hunt? It just doesn't make sense to me.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So you’re stating he might not be fit judging by 4 pre season games versus what he has proven dominating the second best league in hockey, dominating the World Championships and having a decent World Cup.

I don’t think anyone can question his skill.
I don't question the skill at all, but he didn't seem to click all that well and was making his share of mistakes that seemed typical of someone switching leagues.

Preseason games was all this organization had to figure out a roster from scratch. Almost every guy out there was fighting for his spot. I don't think it's surprising they needed time to work this guy in, unless he was amazing from the get go. I don't think he was.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't question the skill at all, but he didn't seem to click all that well and was making his share of mistakes that seemed typical of someone switching leagues.

Preseason games was all this organization had to figure out a roster from scratch. Almost every guy out there was fighting for his spot. I don't think it's surprising they needed time to work this guy in, unless he was amazing from the get go. I don't think he was.

This makes no sense.

that’s the whole point of the pre season is to try things since the outcome doesn’t matter, I wouldn’t believe he was so bad he couldn’t make it over absolute no skill scrubs.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Well, it's only a week into the season and they're an expansion team that's 2-0. Vegas doesn't have to ice an ideal line-up because they aren't expected to do anything this year. Yes, it's unfortunate that Shipachyov isn't up, but if he doesn't have a problem with it and understands it's temporary and goes on to play 75+ games it's really not a big deal.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well, it's only a week into the season and they're an expansion team that's 2-0. Vegas doesn't have to ice an ideal line-up because they aren't expected to do anything this year. Yes, it's unfortunate that Shipachyov isn't up, but if he doesn't have a problem with it and understands it's temporary and goes on to play 75+ games it's really not a big deal.
If I’m a player that is promised a key role and top line minutes, I wouldn’t be happy to be “the guy” to sit out even one game because of the GM screw ups. I would probably stomach a game or two to give the GM time to do the emergency moves and be a team player but if it goes longer than that I would be extremely frustrated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad