Speculation: What is Vegas doing with Vadim Shipachyov?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's the problem, Vegas could easily "risk" putting Sbisa or Reinhart on waivers and resolve this right now. That they still haven't is a sign of utter incompetence.
Giving up on more assets (even if it's a 7th rounder five years from now) for the sake of...I don't know what, is more incompetent.

If there's no an issue, why give up on collecting assets and just let someone leave for free?

Reactions: Northern Knights

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Giving up on more assets (even if it's a 7th rounder five years from now) for the sake of...I don't know what, is more incompetent.

If there's no an issue, why give up on collecting assets and just let someone leave for free?
For the sake of winning games because that's the damn goal of all of the players. You're pretending there's no point in winning fyi you can continue to have faith in your teams gm. I understand they aren't going to be competitive for a few years and they shouldn't early try to. At least send the message that you do care about putting your players in as good of a position as possible. Potentially saving one of their bunch of fringe nhl defenseman that aren't any better than what nearly every team in the league has in their farm system. The late round pick your gm is holding out for has a very very small chance of ever mattering. Caring about that rather than the guys that are on the team now is stupid.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
They've won okay without Tuch, Theo, or Ship so far, so I'm guessing that's not the reason people are wringing their hands over what GMGM is doing.

75% of the players on this team today won't be here in two years when they'll be a team that should start the season 2-0-0. It's not about trusting the GM, it's knowing that the guy that gets drafted with the pick we get from one of these guys getting traded has the chance to be a larger part of this team when it's time to win than almost any of the guys here now.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I'd be pissed if i was him and demand answers and a call-up or an trade or I'd do anything to void that contract.

I mean he's probably one of the best fwds in the world not currently playing in the NHL. He has the skill to play in the NHL, he signed for an expansion team and said no to better teams (Montréal) for instance.

And they the GM sits him for scrubs because the GM picked shitty players no one wants in the expansion draft.

Ship could've made a lot of $ staying in Russia. He left his comfort zone, he's gonna miss the Olympics (Olympics is huge for Europeans, most value that higher than the stanley cup) and then McPhee basically just spits in his face.

I hope he screws McPhee over and somehow gets the hell out of that organization. Nothing against the team or their fans but wow, McPhee is an embarrassment.

#freeShipachyov

Reactions: Morrison

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
3 things that come to mind.

1: Their GM is a f***ing joke.
2: Their GM is tanking hard.
3: Their GM drafted like shit in the expansion draft and is desperate to try to make things right. So he's displaying scrub d-men to an over saturated market.

P.s does Vadim have a lot of $ in terms of bonuses? Maybe that's why as well?

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
3 things that come to mind.

1: Their GM is a ****ing joke.
2: Their GM is tanking hard.
3: Their GM drafted like **** in the expansion draft and is desperate to try to make things right. So he's displaying scrub d-men to an over saturated market.

4. They want to piss off the player so that he leaves on his own and they won’t have to pay him.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
People are far too kind to McPhee. This is the GM who forced Orlov to drive from DC to Hershey, PA and back 3 times a week so his out clause wouldn't get triggered... while not playing him in any NHL games when he was clearly good enough. When he was with the caps and Ovechkin was still young and GOAT half the top players in the league ruled us as a UFA destination solely so they wouldn't have to deal with him. Just like Vegas with had double digits worth of defensemen and only Mike Green was NHL caliber. McPhee is a Milbury tier piece of garbage GM and Vegas would have been better off just putting Brad Hunt or Griffin Reinhart in the GM role. Vegas will be irrelevant with him at the help once the expansion team adrenaline runs out, and I'm a guy that wants Vegas to do well.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
What's ironic is that SO many people were saying that GMGM should load up on D at the expansion draft because they were the best trade chips, so he did and now these same people are saying he's a moron for not being able to move any of these D. How was he supposed to know the trade market would be this slim?

Vegas had to draft at least 9D in expansion, 4 picks were free of choice so they could draft max 13D which they did with 14F, 13D and 3G. Those 4 extra D were not the problem.
Of these 30 picks they didn't sign 2F and 1G and they traded 4D and 1G that led to 12F, 9D and 1G.
But beside that they traded for Kruger whom they traded directly again, traded for Smith, Tuch, Theodore, signed Hunt and claimed Subban.

The real problem was that they upset other teams not allowing them to make side deals and Vegas is paying for that now that their picks are worthless in trades.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
McPhee is a poker player whose bluff has been called, but he is too committed to the pot to fold his hand. This is embarrassing to watch.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Work harder, George.

https://www.knightsonice.com/2017/1...-shipachyov-fine-will-be-called-up-eventually

Shipachyov, who was assigned to the AHL’s Chicago Wolves on Tuesday, has not reported to the Wolves since being sent down from the big club. McPhee said Monday that the designation of Shipachyov, Shea Theodore and Alex Tuch was more of a numbers issue, rather than personnel.

McPhee said all three are NHL-caliber players and should be with the Golden Knights.

“I do not have a specific date when that will change,” McPhee said, “but we are working on things.”

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
I realize this is probably somewhat sarcastic, but the contract had a $2 million signing bonus paid the day the contract was filed.

Well, partly at least. Doesn't still make much sense.

In an NHL17-world, sure. In real world, other things have value as well, like getting publicity being 2-0 leading to a first home game ever instead of the press talking about how your 1C is in the minors, getting the player and the team comfortable, having good reputation with different parties etc.

McPhee is a poker player whose bluff has been called, but he is too committed to the pot to fold his hand. This is embarrassing to watch.

Committed to the pot that is minimal. What is the best he could get for the worst defenseman Vegas has in the roster?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
People are far too kind to McPhee. This is the GM who forced Orlov to drive from DC to Hershey, PA and back 3 times a week so his out clause wouldn't get triggered... while not playing him in any NHL games when he was clearly good enough. When he was with the caps and Ovechkin was still young and GOAT half the top players in the league ruled us as a UFA destination solely so they wouldn't have to deal with him. Just like Vegas with had double digits worth of defensemen and only Mike Green was NHL caliber. McPhee is a Milbury tier piece of garbage GM and Vegas would have been better off just putting Brad Hunt or Griffin Reinhart in the GM role. Vegas will be irrelevant with him at the help once the expansion team adrenaline runs out, and I'm a guy that wants Vegas to do well.

You're joking, right? This whole thread plus any thread on the main board is filled with people spewing hate against McPhee rightly or not.
Ship's agent already said they understand what's happening and that he's ok with it, let's at least wait to see what happens before we start gathering up the pitchforks.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Committed to the pot that is minimal. What is the best he could get for the worst defenseman Vegas has in the roster?
I reckon someone could be intrigued enough to pay a mid round pick for Merrill (disregarding guys like Schmidt and McNabb, who Vegas is unlikely to be willing to get rid of). A young defenseman who is able to play in the NHL isn't the worst asset to invest a draft pick in.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I reckon someone could be intrigued enough to pay a mid round pick for Merrill (disregarding guys like Schmidt and McNabb, who Vegas is unlikely to be willing to get rid of). A young defenseman who is able to play in the NHL isn't the worst asset to invest a draft pick in.

Surely there is one asset currently that they can swallow the risk of sending down. This is a head scratcher. They should bee trying to ice the best product they can for their fans. It's tough going for an expansion team in a new market. Fans are still learning the sport and you are way more focused on marketing and PR than usual. Your big name Free Agent #1 C is a piece that has to be on the ice. These guys want to try and win, they know it's an uphill battle but their careers are being affected here.

The fast start deflects a bit of this but Fleury is going to have some average games soon and there will be games Neal does not score. They owe it to their fans and players to get this sorted out even if it means losing a D. If no one wants them, it should tell him something.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Surely there is one asset currently that they can swallow the risk of sending down. This is a head scratcher. They should bee trying to ice the best product they can for their fans. It's tough going for an expansion team in a new market. Fans are still learning the sport and you are way more focused on marketing and PR than usual. Your big name Free Agent #1 C is a piece that has to be on the ice. These guys want to try and win, they know it's an uphill battle but their careers are being affected here.

The fast start deflects a bit of this but Fleury is going to have some average games soon and there will be gams Neal does not score. They owe it to their fans and players to get this sorted out even if it means losing a D. If no one wants them, it should tell him something.
I am just as lost as McPhee is. I have no idea why a guy like Sbisa has not been ditched already. If McPhee is so stubborn that he is simply not willing to admit that he mishandled the situation, he does not deserve to be employed by a NHL team.

What baffles me here the most is that... was Shipachyov not the second player Vegas managed to sign? The guy came over from Russia and chose to sign with a team that basically had nothing and was nothing at the time? What else could Vegas have convinced the guy with other than promising him a role as the team's 1C? If anything of the sort was promised during the negotiations, they have seriously failed to hold up their end of the deal. And it's not like Shipachyov did not have options - it was his decision to come over, and McPhee is currently doing his best to ensure that fruitful opportunities such as signing a top free agent are less likely to arise in the future.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I am just as lost as McPhee is. I have no idea why a guy like Sbisa has not been ditched already. If McPhee is so stubborn that he is simply not willing to admit that he mishandled the situation, he does not deserve to be employed by a NHL team.

What baffles me here the most is that... was Shipachyov not the second player Vegas managed to sign? The guy came over from Russia and chose to sign with a team that basically had nothing and was nothing at the time? What else could Vegas have convinced the guy with other than promising him a role as the team's 1C? If anything of the sort was promised during the negotiations, they have seriously failed to hold up their end of the deal. And it's not like Shipachyov did not have options - it was his decision to come over, and McPhee is currently doing his best to ensure that fruitful opportunities such as signing a top free agent are less likely to arise in the future.

So true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad