Speculation: What is Vegas doing with Vadim Shipachyov?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Word on the street is he is extremely frustrated with the situation and inability to play, and wants to go back to the KHL.

As he should be, especially with McPhee's history with Orlov. Good on him, I hope he does go back. He didn't come all this way to sit on his ass.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I heard he's also banged up and not able to start the season, but why not just put him on the IR? They do need to make a move asap, 10 dmen is a tad bit ridiculous.

This is what I'm thinking, seeing that Ship hasn't played a game in the AHL yet. He was banged up, but not banged up enough to warrant putting him on IR. It would also let McPhee bide some time to either make a trade or figure out who can clear waivers the easiest.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I just don’t get it.

I mean , he probably wasn’t that great in off season but the dude came overseas for the first time ever and is adjusting.

Did they truly send him down in favor of some AHL caliber players ?

What’s going on ?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I just don’t get it.

I mean , he probably wasn’t that great in off season but the dude came overseas for the first time ever and is adjusting.

What’s going on ?

McPhee sent Shipachyov down because he was exempt from waivers. Basically, McPhee had to make a decision and cut out one or two of his crappy Ds that he hoarded in the expansion draft. McPhee is afraid to lose guys like Griffin Reinhart on the waiver wire, even though nobody would claim him. If he just sent down Reinhart or anyone else really, he would be able to recall Shipachyov.

Keep in mind that every day Shipachyov spends in the AHL is less money in his pocket. Ship has every right to be angry. I'd ask a trade right now if I'm him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I just don’t get it.

What’s going on ?

Well, he's got strong Russian genes, probably gets bad 5 o'clock shadow even if he shaves in the morning.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Good point, he makes the same in the minors indeed.

Despite making the same money, I don't see him riding around on busses and staying at the Holiday Inn Express. He could be hockey royalty in the KHL.

McPhee seriously screwed up here. Should have waived one of his trash D and kept him up. GMGM worked himself slowly into this vice. Terrible asset management, which can pretty much describe his entire tenure as a GM.

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
Good point, he makes the same in the minors indeed.

I don't think that matters, he was probably promised top 6 minutes and has been sent down due to the ineptitude of the GM. I'd rightly be annoyed if I was in Vadim's shoes, moves over to North America to play top 6 minutes for a new expansion team and gets sent to the AHL. That cannot be motivation for him at all, especially since he has done nothing wrong and needs time to adjust to the smaller rinks.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Kind of a messed up thing to do considering he needs the situation to be explained to him through an interpreter, and he was probably with the team during the shooting spree last Sunday - who knows if he even knew what was going on that night.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I heard he's also banged up and not able to start the season, but why not just put him on the IR? They do need to make a move asap, 10 dmen is a tad bit ridiculous.
if a team places a player on the ir, that player has to come off the ir on a specific day. ship's injury is probably not worth putting him on the ir, as he will be healthy much sooner than that date

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
If he loses who is likely his best player without him playing a game in order to not lose some scrub to waivers he should be fired immediately. This is baffling even for McPhee

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't understand how this guy is their "best player". I watched him play in preseason, yes he's skilled but he didn't really fit in well at all. Of course there's an adjustment period but I'm not sure he really earned a spot.

The most questionable thing in this situation to me was the contract without him earning a thing in the NHL.

As for any hurt feelings, if he gets called up before the next game or two and plays I would suspect any feelers hurt will mend themselves.

Reactions: Sir Goose

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't understand how this guy is their "best player". I watched him play in preseason, yes he's skilled but he didn't really fit in well at all. Of course there's an adjustment period but I'm not sure he really earned a spot.

The most questionable thing in this situation to me was the contract without him earning a thing in the NHL.

As for any hurt feelings, if he gets called up before the next game or two and plays I would suspect any feelers hurt will mend themselves.

If Shipachyov actually couldn't earn a spot over Brad Hunt or Griffin Reinhart then (as you stated) McPhee should have never have him $9 million in the first place. I find that unlikely but one is entitled to that opinion.

If it isn't about earning a spot, then this situation occurred because GM McPhee is trying to move one of his 10 terrible one-way D. Shipachyov is just the easiest pawn to demote/promote because he is waiver exempt. A pawn that surely didn't expect to be riding buses in the AHL when he signed a $9 million contract. My guess is that this is the case and McPhee never expected it to drag on this long.

Either way GM McPhee is a pair of clown shoes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad