Speculation: What is Vegas doing with Vadim Shipachyov?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The guy that just dominated KHL and WC , the one that was promised a top six role and who is paid a top six money was sent to the AHL and already missed two regular season games.

This whole situation is truly baffling. Even if he wasn’t the greatest in pre season you dont send down a player of this caliber to the AHL.

They said it’s for roster management purposes so that they can make a trade and get rid of a d man, but he already missed two games and still no news of him being called up.

What’s Vegas doing ?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I think they're a little burdened with defencemen contracts at the moment, so they're showing as many of them off as they can to make a trade happen, then they''ll call him back up.

There isn't too big of a problem with letting Shipachyov adapt to the NA ice for 5ish games before being called up. If he stays down for half the season then it is indeed a big problem.

Then again this is all assuming that McPhee knows what he's doing, and I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case.

Reactions: Dan Kelly and Weast

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I heard he's also banged up and not able to start the season, but why not just put him on the IR? They do need to make a move asap, 10 dmen is a tad bit ridiculous.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
There isn't too big of a problem with letting Shipachyov adapt to the NA ice for 5ish games before being called up. If he stays down for half the season then it is indeed a big problem.

The problem I'm seeing is that while the Wolves have played 2 games, Tuch has played 2 games, Theodore has played 2 games... Shipachyov has played 0 games. He's not getting the NA ice adaptation in Chicago if he isn't playing.

What I don't know for sure is whether he's not playing by his own choice against franchise wishes (so they might suspend him without pay), whether he's not playing by his own choice but with franchise blessing (was told he didn't need to actually play if he didn't want to and would still get paid), or whether the franchise has explicitly forbade him from play (avoiding injury risk?). Or if he's actually been injured. But one way or the other, it doesn't look like he's getting games in.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Can someone explain to me why he doesn't need to go through re-entry on the way back in? Thanks a lot.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Can someone explain to me why he doesn't need to go through re-entry on the way back in? Thanks a lot.

Because re-entry waivers haven't been a thing since the signing of the current CBA. They're gone. No longer exist.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Because re-entry waivers haven't been a thing since the signing of the current CBA. They're gone. No longer exist.

Gotcha, well, if teams start pulling this stuff more often, it could get brought up in negotiations. This is just wrong.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think they're a little burdened with defencemen contracts at the moment, so they're showing as many of them off as they can to make a trade happen, then they''ll call him back up.

Then again this is all assuming that McPhee knows what he's doing, and I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case.

He's not playing in the AHL, and the Wolves don't have a game until Saturday.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hard to know what they're doing here. Guy was supposed to be 1 of their top guys, you'd think they'd do everything they could to have him available for their home opener.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I can't accept the logic that he's keeping a top 6 Center in the AHL and potentially creating some bad blood with him so that he can have more time to trade Brayden McNabb for a 3rd or whatever he's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad