GDT: We Will Not Break: Bruins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2 - Bork, Bork, Bork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think I know why they seemed like they were on the ice so much in the 3rd.

Because it seemed like at least one of them was on the ice for damn near every Bruins shot on goal on the 3rd period, not including the shot on goal into the empty net.

If you want to get upset about usages in the third period, Stafford somehow played 8 more seconds than Nico.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you want to get upset about usages in the third period, Stafford somehow played 8 more seconds than Nico.
If Stafford even plays 8 seconds at all anymore, it's about 8 seconds too much.

He's really reached the end of the line.

Like that Tom Petty, George Harrison, Roy Orbison supergroup song.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think the defense gets too much slack - on top of that graphic i posted in the team discussion board, the team doesnt allow many high chance shots as per our system.

Basically, add a competant NHL backup and this team is fine. Besides the games where the young ones mess up, and a few blowouts, most of these losses are just subpar goaltending.

Add a backup who can play 15-25 games a year reliably and this team is much stronger. On top of that we are super young and have some holes, yet still gave the Bruins fits.

This team will be fine once Schneider gets back. Hopefully its in time to make the playoffs.

Maybe Shero makes a trade before Tuesday for a goaltender? If you are a GM and are told its ‘AT LEAST’ a week, with no points in the last 8-days and everyone in the Metro had gotten some - do you make a move for a backup?

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the defense gets too much slack - on top of that graphic i posted in the team discussion board, the team doesnt allow many high chance shots as per our system.

Basically, add a competant NHL backup and this team is fine. Besides the games where the young ones mess up, and a few blowouts, most of these losses are just subpar goaltending.

Add a backup who can play 15-25 games a year reliably and this team is much stronger. On top of that we are super young and have some holes, yet still gave the Bruins fits.

This team will be fine once Schneider gets back. Hopefully its in time to make the playoffs.

Maybe Shero makes a trade before Tuesday for a goaltender? If you are a GM and are told its ‘AT LEAST’ a week, with no points in the last 8-days and everyone in the Metro had gotten some - do you make a move for a backup?
This is the point that I've been trying to make. The goaltending has been terrible in most of these close games. I'm seeing a lot of goals that just don't go in on good goaltenders, or at least not with the frequency that they go in guys like Kinkaid and Lack. These aren't a bunch of goals that the guys have no chance on. Even if they stopped a few of the bad goals and not all of them, we get a couple points, maybe just some OT losses against Ottawa, Calgary, and Boston. It's the close games where bad goaltending hurts you, not the blowouts that happen to every goalie and every team once in a while.

I saw 3-4 goals that could have been stopped against Ottawa. Goal 1 (forgivable but kind of stoppable) for Ottawa, goal 3 was a weak backhander with the entire short side left open, and he might have made the save on goal 4 if he didn't do a Marty roll. The breakaway on Lack was also stoppable, he looked like a statue. Goals 2 and 3 on Kinkaid against Calgary were both stoppable. Perhaps not completely brutal, but stoppable. Goal 2 tonight on Lack was not good, even if it didn't really go over the goal line. Goal 3 on Lack tonight was also not good. Perhaps these aren't the goalies ''Fault'', but they're some stoppable goals. They hit a goalie when he's playing well and you either don't notice the gaffe that John Moore (and I'm not defending Moore) or whoever else made or you just forget about it after a minute.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The defense has not been good st all during this stretch. They deserve all the hate they get.

Severson might be the only guy that gets a pass the past week or so.

I’ll aay this. If they played this way in front of Keith most nights, they will win enough games.

They won 3 games in a row with KK just a week ago. They have not won a game with any other goalie they have started.

I don’t trust Lack and think you need to ride the storm out with Keith. Hope the team picks him up and Cory is back next week.

I don't get why we're picking on Hynes' presser tonight. Yeah a seventh d-man ****ed up the first goal, a third goalie ****ed up the second one and a guy who should be a fourteenth forward ****ed up the last one, other than that they did out play the Bruins. He's gotta try to point out the positive cause you can't constantly beat on them when they're obviously gonna beat on themselves after giving away another winnable game.

People want to rip the C off Greene and give it to Hall, but he gave the same coached responses as Hynes and everyone else.

Need to be consistent with criticism.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

TG right on both accounts

I really still don’t trust Lack, but you can’t blame tonight on him solely. Even the defense wasn’t THAT bad.

Two OGs, too many penalities, a questionable goal call, and an absolutely awful PP was the true story. That is mental errors they can ill afford. If they cut that garbage out and get a similar performance on the backend they should win Tuesday. That is easier said then done though.

PP desperately needs work.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This team isn't going anywhere with this coaching staff. This staff is incapable of making schematic changes right away. They are literally the meme of the dog sitting in the burning house saying everything is fine.

It took over a month and a half for them to finally get Boyle and Zajac off the same PP unit and then off the PP in general and realize they are a problem. It took them the same amount of time to finally get Zajac off the top 6 when he was dragging some of our most talented players down and making them useless.

They still think Lovejoy is serviceable, they fell back to the Greene Lovejoy pair last night and then tonight even though they have an entire season as an example of how horrible they are together and in top 4 roles.

They think Hayes and Stafford were better options than Lappin and JQ. They clearly though Hayes and Stafford would be were better options while MoJo is still out, which is foolish. Hayes is too slow, Stafford is useless.

They still think the 1-3-1 PP is a great PP scheme even though a PP with more talent on it than it has had on it in months, is incapable of doing anything since teams just let the Devils pass it across the middle and reach a stick out to deflect a pass, and then take off for a short handed scoring chance.

Zajac hasn't scored in almost a month? Everything is fine, keep him top 6 even though we keep dropping games. f*** it, throw him out there for the 3 on 3 against some of the fastest players in the league. Throw Greene out there too. That will create a ton of offense for us. Cost us how many games? Glad he is back on track, but them sticking it out with him cost us a ton of points and wins.

Down a goal with 2 and a half minutes left? Lets leave the goalie in until a minute is left, but first lets put out Boyle and Zajac out there to help even it up along with Greene on the back end. We'll then pull the goalie when they just barely entered the offensive zone.

They let the team flounder for a 6 game losing streak. They won two games to snap it, went back on another losing streak right after that. Won 3 in a row, now we have another losing streak currently sitting at 4 and counting.

And one of the most asinine coaching moves this staff made was letting Schneider stay in the game right after it was clear he was in discomfort in that game in Boston. Because who the f*** knows if Schneider made it worse when he attempted to make a save against Marchand.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
People want to rip the C off Greene and give it to Hall, but he gave the same coached responses as Hynes and everyone else.

Need to be consistent with criticism.
Hall has been plenty honest in his interviews this year. Also, I don't think that is a reason people want Hall as captain over Andy. It's the way he carries himself on the ice. I don't see him as the most vocal leader, but a guy that will put you on his back and lead by example. He is consistently the hardest working and most passionate guy on the ice and that's usually what rallies and motivates the rest of the team. I'm willing to bet every single player on this team looks to him when things get tough, not Andy Greene.

He has all the characteristics of a Captain.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it might be time to go in a different direction and name a younger guy (Hall) the captain of the team, but after this year. No need to do it in-season this year.

All in all, it's probably a nothing move, that has very little effect on anything.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hall has been plenty honest in his interviews this year. Also, I don't think that is a reason people want Hall as captain over Andy. It's the way he carries himself on the ice. I don't see him as the most vocal leader, but a guy that will put you on his back and lead by example. He is consistently the hardest working and most passionate guy on the ice and that's usually what rallies and motivates the rest of the team. I'm willing to bet every single player on this team looks to him when things get tough, not Andy Greene.

He has all the characteristics of a Captain.

None of us has any clue who the leaders in the locker room are. People want to strip Andy of the "C" just because he's old and being asked to play above his head. And he's not Scott Stevens. There are different ways to lead other than punching somebody's face in or throwing a tantrum when things go badly. Also, Greene wearing the "C" doesn't make Hall any less of a leader. This "Andy Greene is a bad leader" narrative is just people looking to point fingers.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
This team isn't going anywhere with this coaching staff. This staff is incapable of making schematic changes right away. They are literally the meme of the dog sitting in the burning house saying everything is fine.

It took over a month and a half for them to finally get Boyle and Zajac off the same PP unit and then off the PP in general and realize they are a problem. It took them the same amount of time to finally get Zajac off the top 6 when he was dragging some of our most talented players down and making them useless.

They still think Lovejoy is serviceable, they fell back to the Greene Lovejoy pair last night and then tonight even though they have an entire season as an example of how horrible they are together and in top 4 roles.

They think Hayes and Stafford were better options than Lappin and JQ. They clearly though Hayes and Stafford would be were better options while MoJo is still out, which is foolish. Hayes is too slow, Stafford is useless.

They still think the 1-3-1 PP is a great PP scheme even though a PP with more talent on it than it has had on it in months, is incapable of doing anything since teams just let the Devils pass it across the middle and reach a stick out to deflect a pass, and then take off for a short handed scoring chance.

Zajac hasn't scored in almost a month? Everything is fine, keep him top 6 even though we keep dropping games. **** it, throw him out there for the 3 on 3 against some of the fastest players in the league. Throw Greene out there too. That will create a ton of offense for us. Cost us how many games? Glad he is back on track, but them sticking it out with him cost us a ton of points and wins.

Down a goal with 2 and a half minutes left? Lets leave the goalie in until a minute is left, but first lets put out Boyle and Zajac out there to help even it up along with Greene on the back end. We'll then pull the goalie when they just barely entered the offensive zone.

They let the team flounder for a 6 game losing streak. They won two games to snap it, went back on another losing streak right after that. Won 3 in a row, now we have another losing streak currently sitting at 4 and counting.

And one of the most asinine coaching moves this staff made was letting Schneider stay in the game right after it was clear he was in discomfort in that game in Boston. Because who the **** knows if Schneider made it worse when he attempted to make a save against Marchand.

You spit out the same nonsense in every single thread, give it a rest.

Zajac hasn’t scored in a month?? Lmao he scored against Ottawa 2 games ago and scored twice agianst the Penguins the game before that. You make yourself sound so incredibly stupid sometimes. Plus he doesn’t play in the top 6 anymore so why do you insist on crying about it every damn day.

“Let the team flounder” yeah because I’m sure the coaches just sit there and say hey let’s lose a few in a row.

You say they put Boyle out late when they tried to tie the game when he never came back after his injury lol.

You are so uninformed and just flat out dumb it hurts, please just stop posting.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You spit out the same nonsense in every single thread, give it a rest.

Zajac hasn’t scored in a month?? Lmao he scored against Ottawa 2 games ago and scored twice agianst the Penguins the game before that. You make yourself sound so incredibly stupid sometimes. Plus he doesn’t play in the top 6 anymore so why do you insist on crying about it every damn day.

“Let the team flounder” yeah because I’m sure the coaches just sit there and say hey let’s lose a few in a row.

You say they put Boyle out late when they tried to tie the game when he never came back after his injury lol.

You are so uninformed and just flat out dumb it hurts, please just stop posting.
Not for nothing, but did you even read his post? Because what you’re saying be said, is not what he actually said.

Are you going to deny that this coaching staff is horrifically slow to make adjustments? Because he laid out numerous examples all of which are factually accurate.

Also, at what point in Hynes’ entire tenure has this team looked like they have any kind of competent defensive structure? Because I watch nearly every game and I haven’t seen evidence of such in about three years.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Also, at what point in Hynes’ entire tenure has this team looked like they have any kind of competent defensive structure? Because I watch nearly every game and I haven’t seen evidence of such in about three years.

What bothers me is that the defense makes the same mistakes almost every game. Overpursuit, not staying in their lane, not tying up sticks, etc.

How come they didn't make any in the Pitt game? They played a perfect game. Then they shit their pants in Columbus. They're mentally fragile

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the Hall as captain movement is based on the impression he has given this year on the ice where in a number of games he has made a big difference and at times he has been the only one seemingly making a difference. I don’t see it as punishing Greene so much as pushing the young guys to have to follow the team’s best player who is also trying his hardest most nights. I don’t doubt Greene tries but given his age and abilities there are too many times it doesn’t matter. To me this is a question for next season as I don’t advocate this sort of change in season to embarrass Greene.

Reactions: njdevilsjds

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
the worst part about this recent stretch the past month or so is that they aren't even playing poorly (outside the CBJ game)

Well that's what's really concerning about all of this. Their record should not be as poor as it is but this team simply finds ways to lose games. In the last handful of games they've played one (last night) where they had 7 powerplays and got outscored 2-0 on them. A couple games ago they played a game where they didn't get penalized once and they lost that one clean as well. I mean I don't expect them to win every game but how do you not get points in games like that? Even with being jerked around by the league with the waived goal nonsense, there are just far too many games where the damage feels self inflicted that I can't even be mad about that stuff anymore. That second goal last night, whether it was in the net or not, it's very telling that something like that could happen and you don't even consider it to be a big moment in the game. That's how bad they shit the bed last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad