GDT: We Will Not Break: Bruins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2 - Bork, Bork, Bork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This team can not handle adversity it seems.

They have at other points this season, but man did they look completely defeated skating off the ice last night. I want to believe they can still end this death spiral, but it's getting hard to stay optimistic at all about the next 27 games.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i actually thought they played a pretty good game last night overall, but god these backbreaking goals. i wouldn't even necessarily blame lack but damn. that's just how it's going for them

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
What's funny is we are still absolutely in this race. The Rangers are selling and the Islanders are inconsistent. We have a game in hand on Carolina, two games in hand on the Islanders

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's such a shame that critical mistakes on our part seem to often end up in the back of our net. If we come up with the puck on a critical mistake of theirs, our success rate is much lower.

Hall finishing that breakaway early or Trav finishing the penalty shot could have done wonders for our confidence early.

Watching those two goals in the first and the game winner felt like being in a slow motion movie. I’m sure I was yelling “Noooooooo!” quite dramatically :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
but hey they're still in a playoff spot with games in hand!

Even that angle is starting to be meaningless. We only have 1 game in hand on Carolina, who is now just 1 point back. We're even in games with Columbus, 2 points back. We do have 2 in hand on the Islanders, but if we're worried about them we're probably f***ed anyway.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
not really an angle as much as a statement of fact. they look terrible obviously but it's still in their control

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Games in hand with Carolina aren't really important because we still have 4 games left against each other.

The way I see it, it's all about taking care of our divisional rivals. 4 games left vs. CAR, 3 games left vs. PIT, 1 vs. PHI, 2 vs. NYI, 1 vs. CBJ, 1 vs. NYR and 1 vs. WSH.

That's 13 games, nearly half of what we have remaining. Start collecting points there and we'll be fine.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
they just need a confidence builder because they seem broken right now. after that stafford deflection goal last night the entire building just went dead.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's such a shame that critical mistakes on our part seem to often end up in the back of our net. If we come up with the puck on a critical mistake of theirs, our success rate is much lower.

Which is why the goaltending gets harped on to death. Even a game like last night which was a ‘he played well BUT’ still one goaltending snafu is the difference, especially when everyone else’s backups dominate us, that’s an added insult.

Reactions: MadDog172430

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Which is why the goaltending gets harped on to death. Even a game like last night which was a ‘he played well BUT’ still one goaltending snafu is the difference, especially when everyone else’s backups dominate us, that’s an added insult.

Absolutely, and it falls into that old Torts quote from years ago where he said "It'd be nice to get an occasional freakin' save once in a while". Goaltending is not the end all, be all of why this streak is happening but it's a significant factor.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I guess we shouldn't really be surprised about the outcome given that it's Boston and we almost always lose to them. It just sucks that we finally outplay them at even strength and the Benny Hill PP blows the whole damn thing.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Our PP numbers being remotely average is kind of shocking. I guess it's a blind squirrel finding a nut every now and then. We're at a 19% rate since the All-Star break.

On the other hand, our PK is a 70% since then, tied for 3rd to last. Yikes.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This really sucks. Demoralizing loss after demoralizing loss.

I think this loss was more demoralizing than getting curbstomped by Columbus. At least in that one you could shake it off as a complete clunker. This one should have been a win if not for us shooting ourselves in the foot multiple times (I'm looking at you Stafford you dumb f***).

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Our PP numbers being remotely average is kind of shocking. I guess it's a blind squirrel finding a nut every now and then. We're at a 19% rate since the All-Star break.

On the other hand, our PK is a 70% since then, tied for 3rd to last. Yikes.
Edmonton is where they are because of their historically bad special teams. That's what we've been lately. Wasting PPs and failing on PKs repeatedly combined with horrible goaltending and bad luck/crippling mistakes. Just a disaster.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Well, in being Captain Silver Lining, I thought the top line looked good together. Really thought after giving away that goal at the end of the first that Hall was going to will us to a win on his own. (Not that the goal was entirely his fault). Nothing made me happier than him dangling the Rat out of his jock.

I thought Nico played pretty well and showed no fear as he has most of the season in taking on the bigger guys. Also thought Zacha did some good things last night, as well.

Still can't say enough about Miles Wood and what he's done this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad