GDT: We Will Not Break: Bruins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2 - Bork, Bork, Bork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Anyone have a gif of the replays from the bull**** goal that never crossed the line?
Who gives a shit at this point?
Won't change the outcome of the game now. we've been f***ed by the league so much over the past two months and got an apology for one of them, and it didn't change the L to a W.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I think the Hall as captain movement is based on the impression he has given this year on the ice where in a number of games he has made a big difference and at times he has been the only one seemingly making a difference. I don’t see it as punishing Greene so much as pushing the young guys to have to follow the team’s best player who is also trying his hardest most nights. I don’t doubt Greene tries but given his age and abilities there are too many times it doesn’t matter. To me this is a question for next season as I don’t advocate this sort of change in season to embarrass Greene.
f*** Greene. You can't embarrass him any worse than his play has embarrassed himself.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i have yet to see any evidence that the puck crossed the goal line. i don't think it exists.
Well is there anywhere with a goal-camera view of the last three seconds?

MSG butchered that replay and while Lack says he only waived his hannd when the Boston players celebrated, he is the goalie being scored on so he is a bit biased

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Not for nothing, but did you even read his post? Because what you’re saying be said, is not what he actually said.

Are you going to deny that this coaching staff is horrifically slow to make adjustments? Because he laid out numerous examples all of which are factually accurate.

Also, at what point in Hynes’ entire tenure has this team looked like they have any kind of competent defensive structure? Because I watch nearly every game and I haven’t seen evidence of such in about three years.

Yes I read it and he said Zajac hasn’t scored in a month when he scored last week. He says Zajac gets top 6 role when he doesn’t anymore. He legitimately thinks this coaching staff loses on purpose. You want a competent defensive structure? Get competent defenseman.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I think it might be time to go in a different direction and name a younger guy (Hall) the captain of the team, but after this year. No need to do it in-season this year.

All in all, it's probably a nothing move, that has very little effect on anything.

The moment Greene watched Hall get his head bashed into the ice repeatedly, was the moment the "C" should have been torn right off. I don't want to beat a dead horse but Greene just stands there and watches. Hall is a leader and at some point they need to make the change. The sooner the better and I know they won't do it mid-season.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Yes I read it and he said Zajac hasn’t scored in a month when he scored last week. He says Zajac gets top 6 role when he doesn’t anymore. He legitimately thinks this coaching staff loses on purpose. You want a competent defensive structure? Get competent defenseman.
No he wasn’t saying that is going on he was saying that the coaching staff let those things go on for too long before now finally making adjustments. The whole point is that they took too long to make those changes. And he’s entirely correct in that assessment.

Strong team defense is one of the most coachable aspects of NHL hockey. You can reference the 2007-2012 devils teams who were some of the best statistically with shot suppression, limited scoring chances and GA every year despite having a bunch of no-name defenders.

Special teams is also another aspect of the game that reflects quite a bit on coaching...and that currently stinks. Jeez go figure.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
No he wasn’t saying that is going on he was saying that the coaching staff let those things go on for too long before now finally making adjustments. The whole point is that they took too long to make those changes. And he’s entirely correct in that assessment.

Strong team defense is one of the most coachable aspects of NHL hockey. You can reference the 2007-2012 devils teams who were some of the best statistically with shot suppression, limited scoring chances and GA every year despite having a bunch of no-name defenders.

Special teams is also another aspect of the game that reflects quite a bit on coaching...and that currently stinks. Jeez go figure.

Some guy named Brodeur had a lot do with that

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The same people who are trashing Greene for not getting involved in that Burrows Hall incident would be the same people who would have gotten mad at Greene for taking a third man in penalty which would have negated our power play in a close game where we were losing and resulting in a game misconduct.

He did get involved until the refs were in there, if he continued thats a third man in penalty. Yeah Greene is having a garbage season but I hate people trashing on players for dumb reasons.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
with rebound control and his puck handling, probably a bit

A bit gets overstated. Take the few seasons where Marty's played equally with or less than other goalies (1994, 2009 and 2014) for instance:

1994: Brodeur 1238 shots allowed in 2625 minutes (28.29 per 60)
1994: Terreri/Sidorkewicz 1196 shots allowed in 2470 minutes (29.05 per 60)
That's around .75 shots per game

2009: Clemmensen/Weekes 1537 shots allowed in 3151 minutes (29.26 per 60)
2009: Brodeur 870 shots allowed in 1814 minutes (28.77 per 60)
That's a .5 shots per game difference, not a lot

2014: Brodeur 971 shots allowed in 2297 minutes (25.47 per 60)
2014: Schneider 1107 shots allowed in 2680 minutes (24.78 per 60)
That's about a .7 shot per game difference

Basically we're talking about a difference of 40-60 shots over an entire season between Marty and goalies not nearly as good at puckhandling. Tangible but not quite the difference maker it's made out to be since people act like it's the difference between 25 shots a game and 30.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Basically what it boils down to is this, our season would only go off the rails if one of two things happened: 1) Hall got hurt or 2) Schneider got hurt

Those things both have happened and even happened at the same damn time. Our goaltending over this skid had posted a SV% below .900 and when Hall was out our offense was invisible. Yes you can say good coaches adjust and get the most out of their teams in tough spots but our backups are truly awful and not NHL caliber, especially with the defense they have in front of them. And Hall has 25 more points than the next closest Devil who is also a rookie and his linemate. 3rd in points? Another rookie and his linemate. 4th in points? Another rookie who’s a defenseman. 5th in points? A second year player.
As far as goals go Hall has 5 more than the next closest player, and Gibbons is still 4th on the team and has scored once since November 25th.

We just don’t have the depth to make up for losing guys like Hall or Schneider, and it’s cost us dearly. This week is really make or break for us, we need regulation wins in 3 of the 4 at least.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
The same people who are trashing Greene for not getting involved in that Burrows Hall incident would be the same people who would have gotten made at Greene for taking a third man in penalty which would have negated our power play in a close game where we were losing and resulting in a game misconduct.

He did get involved until the refs were in there, if he continued thats a third man in penalty. Yeah Greene is having a garbage season but I hate people trashing on players for dumb reasons.

Believe what you want, I'm just saying I'd rather have Greene or any player for that matter get a penalty for pulling a guy off of a defenseless player, our star player nonetheless, rather then letting him be a punching bag.

I'm sure Greene is a great guy I just don't see him as a leader.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Basically what it boils down to is this, our season would only go off the rails if one of two things happened: 1) Hall got hurt or 2) Schneider got hurt

Those things both have happened and even happened at the same damn time. Our goaltending over this skid had posted a SV% below .900 and when Hall was out our offense was invisible. Yes you can say good coaches adjust and get the most out of their teams in tough spots but our backups are truly awful and not NHL caliber, especially with the defense they have in front of them. And Hall has 25 more points than the next closest Devil who is also a rookie and his linemate. 3rd in points? Another rookie and his linemate. 4th in points? Another rookie who’s a defenseman. 5th in points? A second year player.
As far as goals go Hall has 5 more than the next closest player, and Gibbons is still 4th on the team and has scored once since November 25th.

We just don’t have the depth to make up for losing guys like Hall or Schneider, and it’s cost us dearly. This week is really make or break for us, we need regulation wins in 3 of the 4 at least.

I think this is why those calling for the coaching staffs heads at seasons end aren't going to get their wish. We can't forget how much went right to start the season compared to what little expectations there were coming in. Some of us discussed that a slump was going to hit at some point as it does for every team in sports and it looks like this has been it. The depth issues were always present at forward and defense, they were just overshadowed by guys that came in and stepped up strong out of nowhere.

This is still a building process and while yes it stings to go from such a high at the beginning of the season to the lower points of the past month or two, we have to remember where we came from and where we are in that building process. Being competitive for a playoff spot given where we came from is certainly a step in the right direction. At the same time it cannot be ignored though that it is troubling to have fallen from where we were and I think it is a fair assumption to make that regardless of where we are in the building process and what injuries hurt us, exposing our lack of depth, some or all of the coaching staff will certainly have their leashes shortened a bit.

The next step in this building process is to further solidify some more depth whether it be at the deadline if the right deal comes about or this off season, but after taking a step back last season, the step we've taken forward this season is significant and gives better hope.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
we seriously overachieved early in the year, mostly due to some seriously unsustainable secondary scoring (alliteration bonus) from gibbons & co. we are not a raanta or a hoffman away from being serious contenders. if we close out the rest of the year over .500 we have a chance at making the playoffs, but the reality is we are 1-3 years away from being serious contenders. we should sell our spare parts at the deadline (if anyone’s interested) and nab a few great prospects in the draft. steady the course

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
we seriously overachieved early in the year, mostly due to some seriously unsustainable secondary scoring (alliteration bonus) from gibbons & co. we are not a raanta or a hoffman away from being serious contenders. if we close out the rest of the year over .500 we have a chance at making the playoffs, but the reality is we are 1-3 years away from being serious contenders. we should sell our spare parts at the deadline (if anyone’s interested) and nab a few great prospects in the draft. steady the course

The Devils are seriously underachieving now. They should conservatively have anywhere from 4-8 more points than they currently do (and that's only accounting for officiating errors). They aren't realistic contenders for the cup, and I don't think there was a point where any of us thought they were. But they should easily be a low level playoff team. It's important for them to get into the playoffs, even if they lost in the first round. The experience the rookies get in the playoffs will be a huge baseline, and I would prefer that they start learning lessons and getting acclimated to playoff hockey now, rather than at some point in the future. Plus Taylor Hall deserves/needs to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad