GDT: We Will Not Break: Bruins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2 - Bork, Bork, Bork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I just think that this is a buyer's market at the deadline. The Devils can get pieces that fit for the next few seasons and not just rentals. Bratt, Hischier, Wood and Butcher all are developing quicker than expected. If the Zacha of late is the new Zacha then our top 6 is in great shape. In a couple seasons with some more maturity and experience they are going to need quality players to help them succeed. I think the prospect pool is pretty stacked at the moment and Shero should be interested in getting high quality players who are already proven.

I also do not trust a mid 30's Schneider at this point. We need to start thinking about a replacement now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Basically what it boils down to is this, our season would only go off the rails if one of two things happened: 1) Hall got hurt or 2) Schneider got hurt

Those things both have happened and even happened at the same damn time. Our goaltending over this skid had posted a SV% below .900 and when Hall was out our offense was invisible. Yes you can say good coaches adjust and get the most out of their teams in tough spots but our backups are truly awful and not NHL caliber, especially with the defense they have in front of them. And Hall has 25 more points than the next closest Devil who is also a rookie and his linemate. 3rd in points? Another rookie and his linemate. 4th in points? Another rookie who’s a defenseman. 5th in points? A second year player.
As far as goals go Hall has 5 more than the next closest player, and Gibbons is still 4th on the team and has scored once since November 25th.

We just don’t have the depth to make up for losing guys like Hall or Schneider, and it’s cost us dearly. This week is really make or break for us, we need regulation wins in 3 of the 4 at least.
I think our depth, aside from Goalie is not an issue. We have had to deal with injuries, some of our guys have under performed, some appeared to have fatigued. But we have solid #'s. I think another high end sniper would be great(or Palm's playing like one) and of coarse a high end D-man, but I don't think depth is the problem.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Chicago and Philly come to mind.
Both of Philly's goalies are better than Kinkaid has been this year and better than Lack. Elliott sucks as a starter, but Elliott and Neuvirth are better than the two shitheads we've been dressing. I know Elliott was injured recently, but I can't see Neuvirth being as bad as our two have been in Cory's absence. If he is, that's great for us though. Alex Lyons or whatever his name is looked every bit as bad as Kinkaid/Lack when we played him a couple weeks ago, but they haven't lost both Neuvirth and Elliott yet.

Chicago is far out of a playoff spot at this point. Their season is absolutely finished. Ours will probably be within a week or two, at this rate we're going.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Stafford is such a floater. This contract was his last chance to stay in the NHL and with 3 points in his last 30 games, I think he knows that he's done after this year, no matter what. And he's just been floating all over the ice, guy doesn't even try.

I'd love to see him scratched every game for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: tr83

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Stafford is such a floater. This contract was his last chance to stay in the NHL and with 3 points in his last 30 games, I think he knows that he's done after this year, no matter what. And he's just been floating all over the ice, guy doesn't even try.

That’s the thing. He doesn’t even try. He doesn’t even try to get into the lane to block shots or try to win board battles. He just doesn’t really seem to care.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No one. Over our last 19 we have the worst five on five save percentage in the league.

It's not close either. We'd have to improve by nearly 10% just to catch 30th place San Jose.
Another team with a goalie that fails the eye test and has poor stats, although only poor for a starter. Martin Jones is the most overrated goaltender in the NHL. Until he's listed as a bottom 5 starter (which is pretty close to what he is), will he no longer be considered overrated. I've spent a lot of time trying to convince the Sharks forum this and they mostly seem to be on board, outside of one or two people.
That’s the thing. He doesn’t even try. He doesn’t even try to get into the lane to block shots or try to win board battles. He just doesn’t really seem to care.
I hate these type of fan cliche's about giving effort and accountability all that, but they absolutely apply in this case with Stafford. He knows he's not playing next year, so there's no incentive to actually try out there. There's no incentive to try and score a couple more points. Because score them or not, he's not getting an NHL deal after this year. Even if he scores 10 more goals before now and the end of the season, he's probably still not getting a deal in the NHL next year. Maybe a PTO if he begs.

Remember, he almost washed out of the league after last year, when he was MUCH better. We didn't sign him until August 20-somethingeth.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

So you don’t think he garners a first round pick and a prospect at the deadline? J/K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad